Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 2006
21 – 24 November 2006
CODEX - Coordinating Committee for Asia (15 th Session), Seoul , Korea
SUMMARY AND CONCLUSIONS
The 15th Session of the FAO/WHO Coordinating Committee for Asia reached the following conclusions:
Matter for Adoption by the 30th Session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission:
The Committee agreed to forward the following proposed draft Standard for adoption ant Step 5:
- Proposed draft Standard for Gochujang (para. 42 and Appendix II);
- Proposed draft Standard for Ginseng Product (para. 68 and Appendix III).
Matters for Consideration by the Commission:
- agreed to retain the current text of Part 1 of the draft Strategic Plan 2008-2013 (para. 10) and to forward to the Commission several proposals on Part 2 (paras 11-15);
- agreed not to support Proposals 1 and 2 related to the Review of the Committee Structures and Mandates of Codex Committees and Task Forces (para. 16) and made comments on Proposals 7, 8, 10 and 11 (paras 17-23);
- unanimously agreed to nominate Indonesia for appointment as Coordinator for Asia by the 30th Session of the Commission (para. 144);
- agreed to request the Commission for approval of new work on proposed draft Standard for Chili Sauce (para. 150) and proposed draft Standard for Edible Sago Flour (para. 156).
Matters of Interest to the Commission:
- agreed to hold the proposed draft Standard for Fermented Soybean Paste at Step 4, with the exception of Section 3.2 (Quality Factors) and to establish an electronic working group led by the Republic of Korea in order to further consider the provisions under Section 3.2 (paras 96-97 and Appendix IV);
- agreed to return the proposed draft Standard for Non Fermented Soybean Products to Step 2 for redrafting by an electronic working group coordinated by China and Thailand, comments at Step 3 and consideration at the next session (para. 106);
- agreed to the elaboration of a Strategic Plan for CCASIA (paras 161-162).
To go to main Foodlaw-Reading
Index page, click here.