Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 2004
7-10 September 2004
COMMITTEE - Coordinating Committee for Asia (14 th Session ) - Jeju-Do, Republic of Korea ,
The summary and conclusion of the 14th session of the FAO/WHO Coordinating Committee for Asia are as follows:
Matters for Consideration by the Commission
- The Committee agreed that the Regional Coordinating Committees had a very important role to play within Codex, in conveying the views of the Regions to the Commission. The Committee noted several views and opinions expressed by member countries including the proposal to convene the sessions of Regional Coordinating Committees annually (paras 8-13);
- The Committee agreed to forward the Proposed Draft Standard for Ginseng Products to Step 5 for consideration by the Commission and further elaboration in the Codex process, preferably by the Codex Committee on Processed Fruits and Vegetables (CCPFV), as an international standard (paras 14-26 );
- The Committee agreed to nominate the Republic of Korea for appointment as Regional Coordinator by the 28th Session of the Commission (paras104-110).
Matters of Interest to the Commission
- decided to return the Proposed Draft Standard for Fermented Soybean Paste to Step 2 for redrafting by an electronic working group which would complete redrafting by March 2006 in order for the revised text to be circulated for government comments at Step 3, prior to the next session of the Coordinating Committee(paras 27-32).
- agreed to hold the Proposed Draft Standard for Gochujang at Step 4 until its next session, with the exception of Section 3.1.2 (Optional Ingredients) and Section 4.3 (Flavour Enhancing Agents), which were returned to Step 3 to invite further comments (paras 33-50);
- was informed that an FAO/WHO Workshop on Functional Foods was held on 6 September 2004 immediately preceding the Committee session and noted that the workshop fostered a useful exchange of information and views (paras 53-55);
- expressed its appreciation for the work of the Joint Technical Workshop on Residues of Veterinary Drugs without ADI/MRL convened by FAO and WHO and strongly supported that the recommendations of this workshop be implemented by Codex, FAO and WHO (paras 61-63);
- expressed its appreciation for the capacity building activities undertaken by FAO and WHO in the Region and fully supported continuous activity from FAO and WHO (paras 66-74);
- exchanged information on food control and food safety issues and on consumer participation in food standard setting in member countries of the Region (paras 75-103); and
- agreed that the Delegation of China, with assistance from Thailand , would submit a revised project document for refrigerated, non-fermented soybean products to the 56th Session of the Executive Committee for Critical Review.
To go to main Foodlaw-Reading
Index page, click here.