Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 2001
Charleston, USA, 04-07 December 2001
Codex Committee on Residues of Veterinary Drugs in Foods (13th Session)
The Committee :
- Recommended 87 new and revised MRLs for 11 veterinary drugs in various animal species/tissue combinations for final adoption by the 25th Session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission and proposed 30 new and revised MRLs for 5 veterinary drugs in various animal species/tissue combinations for preliminary adoption by the 50th Session of the Executive Committee of the Codex Alimentarius Commission;
- Agreed to forward the Draft Amendments to the Glossary of Terms and Definitions to the 25th Session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission for final adoption;
- Agreed to suspend the work undertaken on the Proposed Draft Guidelines for Residues at Injection Sites;
- Agreed to redraft and further elaborate the Draft Annex to the Guidelines for the Establishment of a Regulatory Programme for Control of Veterinary Drug Residues in Foods: Prevention and Control of Drug Residues in Milk and Milk Products;
- Agreed to elaborate: (i) an internal document on "Risk Management Methodologies, including Risk Assessment Policies, in the Codex Committee on Residues of Veterinary Drug in Foods" to be used as internal guidance to the Committee. The document would also consider risk management options for substances which were on the past agenda of JECFA but for which no ADI or MRLs has been recommended; (ii) Proposed Draft Code of Practice to Minimize and Contain Antimicrobial Resistance; and (iii) a Revised Discussion Paper on Residues Issues;
- Agreed to consider at the next session (i) further development of the criteria related to the selection of methods of analysis for veterinary which should take into account work undertaken in this area by the other relevant Codex Committees; and (ii) the evaluation report of information submitted on routine methods of analysis.
- Agreed on the priority list of veterinary drugs.
- Agreed to develop Proposed Draft Revised Guidelines for the Establishment of a Regulatory Programme for Control of Veterinary Drug Residues in Foods.
To go to main Food Law Index page, click