Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 2001
13-16 February 2001
FAO/WHO Coordinating Committee for Latin America and the Caribbean (12th Session)
The Coordinating Committee:
- Agreed on a revised Draft Regional Code of Hygienic Practice for Street-Vended Foods and forwarded it to the 24th Session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission for final adoption;
- Exchanged information on food safety problems in the Region and agreed to:
- recommend the elaboration of international Guidelines for the Obtaining of Data of Interest for Microbiological Risk Assessment to the Codex Committee on Food Hygiene and,
- to prepare a document on food safety in tourist zones for consideration by the next session of the Committee.
- Exchanged updated information on harmonization of national standards to Codex standards, as well as on cooperation in food legislation and food control activities in the Region and noted the progress made in harmonizing food regulations since the last session of the Committee;
- Exchanged information on the strengthening of Codex Contact Points and National Codex Committees in the Region, recognizing the progress achieved with the assistance of FAO, and discussed how their work could be improved.
- Exchanged information on consumers participation in Codex work and reported on action taken by governments to improve consumer participation in Codex work;
- Endorsed the recommendations made by the Workshop on "Risk Analysis - Exposure Assessment" held prior session of the Committee and exchanged views on the application of 'other legitimate factors' and 'precaution' within Codex;
- Nominated Dominican Republic as Coordinator for Latin America and the Caribbean, for appointment by the 24th Session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission.
To go to current FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex Food Law News page, click here.
To go to main Food Law Index page, click here.