Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 2000
27-30 November 2000
FAO/WHO Coordinating Committee for Africa (14th Session)
The Regional Committee:
- Expressed its appreciation to FAO and WHO for their work in the Region, particularly for assistance in the strengthening Codex Contact Points, the establishment and strengthening of National Codex Committees and the implementation of training courses and emphasized the need for further training; and supported the idea of convening a Pan-African Conference on Food Safety, Quality and Security;
- Exchanged updated information on harmonization of national standards to Codex standards, as well as on cooperation in food legislation and food control activities in the Region; noted the progress made in harmonizing food regulations since the last session of the Committee;
- Exchanged updated information on Codex Contact Points and National Codex Committees, and recognized their important role in the work of Codex; and encouraged countries establish/reactivate and strengthen them;
- Exchanged information on consumers participation in Codex work at the national/regional level and recognized that increased involvement of consumer associations in the harmonization process was of high priority; and decided to initiate work on the Proposed Draft Guidelines Codex Contact Points National Codex Committees, subject to approval by the 24th Session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission;
- Endorsed the recommendations made by the Workshop on "Risk Analysis - Exposure Assessment" held prior session of the Committee and reaffirmed the recommendations made by the 13th Session of the Committee;
- Decided to forward nominations of Uganda and Morocco to the 24th Session of the Commission to decide the next Coordinator for the Region.
To go to current FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex Food Law News page, click here.
To go to main Food Law Index page, click here.