Food Law News - EU - 1997
25 April 1997: EXTRACTION SOLVENTS - Amendments reach Common Position
MAFF Letter, 25 April 1997
Extraction Solvents - Amendments reach Common Position
As previously reported (17 September 1996), the
Commission has been developing a proposed amendment to the Directive 88/344/EEC
on Extraction Solvents used in the Production of Foodstuffs and Food Ingredients.
A Common Position was formally adopted at the General Affairs Council on 24 March. The MAFF letter circulates a copy of the text. the main changes which would result from the adoption of the Directive are:
- deletion of butyl acetate from Part I of the Annex
- amendments to the permitted uses of hexane in Part II of the Annex
- deletion of methyl-propanol-1 from Part III of the Annex
- addition of 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane to Part III of the Annex
- amends the Article which relates to consultation with the Standing Committee for Foodstuffs so as to clarify the wording and to indicate that new extraction solvents should be subject to this procedure.
The proposal now returns to the European Parliament for a second reading.
To go to current EU Food Law News page, click here.
To go to main Food Law Index page, click here.