Staff Profile:Dr Carol Wagstaff
- Dr Carol Wagstaff
- Job Title:
- Associate Professor and Director of Food ATP
Chair of Eucarpia Leafy Vegetables Group
Impact Lead for Food and Nutritional Sciences Research Division.
Swedish Research Council panel member for Natural, Engineering and Environmental Sciences (UF-3)
Advisory Board Member for Journal of Experimental Botany
Editorial Board Member for Journal of Food and Agricultural Science
Associate Editor of Annual Plant Reviews Online
- Areas of Interest:
To improve the quality of food, including the nutritional value, appearance, flavour and shelf life, as well as helping consumers make healthy dietary choices. Work at the interface between plants and humans to investigate which phytochemicals and food matrices benefit the consumer, in particular focusing on gut health. Resource allocation in crops and yield improvement.
- Research groups / Centres:
2016 - 2019. BBSRC LINK grant with Elsoms Seeds and Bakkavor. Smart breeding for salad rocket. Post-doc Luke Bell, Research Technician to be appointed.
2016 - 2020. BBSRC-KTN iCASE PhD with Waitrose. Defining, predicting and delivering 'fresh' in the context of leafy salads. Jack Davey.
2015 - 2019. BBSRC iCASE PhD with Tozer Seeds. Linking biochemistry and genetics in celery to taste and flavour perceived by consumers: developing a more acceptable product. Annie-Mae Tomlins.
2015 - 2018. BBSRC HAPI with Rijk Zwaan, Bakkavor, G's Fresh, Harper Adams University, University of Warwick. A genetic approach to improving postharvest quality. Post-doc Stella Lignou, Research Technician Kala Radha.
2015 - 2018. BBSRC HAPI with Tozer Seeds, Harper Adams University, University of York. A Systems Approach to Disease Resistance Against Necrotrophic Fungal Pathogens. Research Technician Kala Radha.
2015 - 2018. KTP with MM Flowers. To develop a programme for embedding new technologies and practices for improving the vase life and quality of cut fresh flowers. TBA.
2013 - 2016. PhD student funded by Malaysian Government. Improving microbial quality of fresh rocket leaves. Nadia Yahya.
2013 - 2016. PhD student funded by Saudi Arabian Food Agency. Mapping quality traits in strawberry. Rashed Alarfaj.
2013 - 2016. MPhil student funded by University of Reading/Crops for the Future. Developing genetic resources for underutilised brassica crops. Rajeev Taggar.
2013 - 2016. PhD student funded by University of Nottingham/Crops for the Future. Understanding crop domestication. Muhamad Faiz Bin Abdul Rahman.2012 - 2016. DTP PhD student (joint between University of Reading and Nottingham DTPs). The role of ARR22 in Brassica. Chelsea Snell.
YNumber of items: 30.
- Bell, L., Methven, L. and Wagstaff, C. (2017) The influence of phytochemical composition and resulting sensory attributes on preference for salad rocket (Eruca sativa) accessions by consumers of varying TAS2R38 diplotype. Food Chemistry, 222. pp. 6-17. ISSN 0308-8146 doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.11.153
- Bell, L., Yahya, H. N., Oloyede, O. O., Methven, L. and Wagstaff, C. (2017) Changes in rocket salad phytochemicals within the commercial supply chain: glucosinolates, isothiocyanates, amino acids and bacterial load increase significantly after processing. Food Chemistry, 221. pp. 521-534. ISSN 0308-8146 doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.11.154
- Bell, L., Methven, L., Signore, A., Oruna-Concha, M. J. and Wagstaff, C. (2017) Analysis of seven salad rocket (Eruca sativa) accessions: the relationships between sensory attributes and volatile and non-volatile compounds. Food Chemistry, 218. pp. 181-191. ISSN 0308-8146 doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.09.076
- Crozier, L., Hedley, P. E., Morris, J., Wagstaff, C., Andrews, S. C., Toth, I., Jackson, R. W. and Holden, N. J. (2016) Corrigendum: whole-transcriptome analysis of Verocytotoxigenic Escherichia coli O157:H7 (Sakai) Suggests Plant-Species-Specific Metabolic Responses on Exposure to Spinach and Lettuce Extracts. Frontiers in Microbiology. ISSN 1664-302X doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.01506
- Crozier, L., Hedley, P. E., Morris, J., Wagstaff, C., Andrews, S. C., Toth, I., Jackson, R. W. and Holden, N. J. (2016) Whole-transcriptome analysis of verocytotoxigenic Escherichia coli O157:H7 (Sakai) suggests plant-species- specific metabolic responses on exposure to spinach and lettuce extracts. Frontiers in Microbiology, 7. 1088. ISSN 1664-302X doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.01088
- Chadwick, M., Gawthrop, F., Michelmore, R. W., Wagstaff, C. and Methven, L. (2016) Perception of bitterness, sweetness and liking of different genotypes of lettuce. Food Chemistry, 197. pp. 66-74. ISSN 0308-8146 doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2015.10.105
- Salleh, F. M., Mariotti, L., Spadafora, N. D., Price, A. M., Picciarelli, P., Wagstaff, C., Lombardi, L. and Rogers, H. (2016) Interaction of plant growth regulators and reactive oxygen species to regulate petal senescence in wallflowers (Erysimum linifolium). BMC Plant Biology, 16 (1). ISSN 1471-2229 doi: 10.1186/s12870-016-0766-8
- Bell, L., Spadafora, N. D., Mueller, C. T., Wagstaff, C. and Rogers, H. j. (2016) Use of TD-GC-TOF-MS to assess volatile composition during post harvest storage in seven accessions of rocket salad (Eruca sativa). Food Chemistry, 194. pp. 626-636. ISSN 0308-8146 doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2015.08.043
- Midmore, D. J., Dunwell, J., Wagstaff, C. and Smith, S., (2016) CGIAR research program on grain legumes. Report. CGIAR pp218.
- Lovegrove, J. A., Commane, D. M., Jackson, K. G., Karani, V., Kennedy, O. B., Kuhnle, G. G., Spencer, J. P. E., Wagstaff, C. and Yaqoob, P. (2015) The Hugh Sinclair Unit of Human Nutrition – 20 years of research 1995–2015. Nutrition Bulletin, 40 (4). pp. 303-314. ISSN 1467-3010 doi: 10.1111/nbu.12176
- Schippers, J. H. M., Schmidt, R., Wagstaff, C. and Jing, H.-C. (2015) Living to die and dying to live: the survival strategy behind leaf senescence. Plant Physiology, 169 (2). pp. 914-930. ISSN 0032-0889 doi: 10.1104/pp.15.00498
- Dunwell, J., Midmore, D., Smith, S. and Wagstaff, C., (2015) CRP commissioned external evaluation of CGIAR Research Program on Grain Legumes. Report. CGIAR pp98.
- Bell, L., Oruna-Concha, M. J. and Wagstaff, C. (2015) Identification and quantification of glucosinolate and flavonol compounds in rocket salad (Eruca sativa, Eruca vesicaria and Diplotaxis tenuifolia) by LC–MS: Highlighting the potential for improving nutritional value of rocket crops. Food Chemistry, 172. pp. 852-861. ISSN 0308-8146 doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.09.116
- Bell, L. and Wagstaff, C. (2014) Glucosinolates, myrosinase hydrolysis products, and flavonols found in rocket (Eruca sativa and Diplotaxis tenuifolia). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 62 (20). pp. 4481-4492. ISSN 0021-8561 doi: 10.1021/jf501096x
- Bennett, E. J., Roberts, J. A. and Wagstaff, C. (2014) Use of mutants to dissect the role of ethylene signalling in organ senescence and the regulation of yield in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation, 33 (1). pp. 56-65. ISSN 0721-7595 doi: 10.1007/s00344-013-9382-0
- Wagstaff, C. (2014) Analysis of growth physiology and phytochemical content of Eruca and Diplotaxis Cultivars under different light and temperature regimes. Acta Horticulturae, 1040. pp. 361-374. ISSN 0567-7572 doi: 10.17660/ActaHortic.2014.1040.49
- Bennett, E., Gawthrop, F., Yao, C., Boniface, C., Ishihara, H., Roberts, J. and Wagstaff, C. (2013) Effects of planting density and nitrogen application on seed yield and other morphological traits of the leafy vegetable kale (Brassica oleracea). Aspects of Applied Biology, 119. pp. 201-216. ISSN 0265-1491 (special issue 'Fruits & Roots: a celebration and forward look')
- Chadwick, M., Trewin, H., Gawthrop, F. and Wagstaff, C. (2013) Sesquiterpenoids lactones: benefits to plants and people. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 14 (6). pp. 12780-12805. ISSN 1422-0067 doi: 10.3390/ijms140612780
- Bennett, E. , Roberts, J. A. and Wagstaff, C. (2012) Manipulating resource allocation in plants. Journal of Experimental Botany, 63 (9). pp. 3391-3400. ISSN 0022-0957 doi: 10.1093/jxb/err442
- Graham, L. E., Schippers, J. H. M., Dijkwel, P. P. and Wagstaff, C. (2012) Ethylene and senescence processes. In: McManus, M. T. (ed.) The plant hormone ethylene. Annual plant reviews (44). Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, pp. 305-341, Chapter 12. ISBN 9781444330038 doi: 10.1002/9781118223086.ch12
- Bennett, E. J., Roberts, J. A. and Wagstaff, C. (2011) The role of the pod in seed development: strategies for manipulating yield. New Phytologist, 190 (4). pp. 838-853. ISSN 0028-646X doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03714.x
- Mottram, D. S., Mills, C. E., Wagstaff, C. and Dodson, A. (2011) Investigation of the characteristic earthy flavor of baby corn (Zea Mays). In: Hofmann, T., Meyerhof, W. and Schieberle, P. (eds.) Advances and Challenges in Flavor Chemistry & Biology. Deutsche Forschungsanstalt für Lebensmittelchemie , Freising, Germany, pp. 146-151. ISBN 9783938896389
- Wagstaff, C., Bramke, I., Breeze, E., Thornber, S., Harrison, E., Thomas, B., Buchanan-Wollaston, V., Stead, T. and Rogers, H. (2010) A specific group of genes respond to cold dehydration stress in cut Alstroemeria flowers whereas ambient dehydration stress accelerates developmental senescence expression patterns. Journal of Experimental Botany, 61 (11). pp. 2905-2921. ISSN 0022-0957 doi: 10.1093/jxb/erq113
- Wagstaff, C., Clarkson, G. J. J., Zhang, F., Rothwell, S. D., Fry, S. C., Taylor, G. and Dixon, M. S. (2010) Modification of cell wall properties in lettuce improves shelf life. Journal of Experimental Botany, 61 (4). pp. 1239-1248. ISSN 0022-0957 doi: 10.1093/jxb/erq038
- Yin-Chih, L., Imsabai, W. , Reid, M. S., Cai-Zhong, J. and Wagstaff, C. (2010) A universal primer for isolation of fragments of a gene encoding phytoene desaturase for use in virus-induced gene silencing (VIGS) studies. Acta Horticulturae, 877. pp. 1697-1704. ISSN 0567-7572
- Jin, J., Koroleva, O., Gibson, T. M., Swanston, J., Magan, J., Zhang, Y. , Rowland, I. R. and Wagstaff, C. (2009) Analysis of Phytochemical Composition and Chemoprotective Capacity of Rocket (Eruca sativa and Diplotaxis tenuifolia) Leafy Salad Following Cultivation in Different Environments. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry , 57 (12). pp. 5227-5234. ISSN 0021-8561 doi: DOI:10.1021/jf9002973
- Wagstaff, C., Yang, T. J. W., Stead, A. D., Buchanan-Wollaston, V. and Roberts, J. A. (2009) A molecular and structural characterization of senescing Arabidopsis siliques and comparison of transcriptional profiles with senescing petals and leaves. Plant Journal, 57 (4). pp. 690-705. ISSN 0960-7412 doi: 10.1111/j.1365-313X.2008.03722.x
- Wagstaff, C., Dixon, M.S. , Clarkson, G.J.J., Rothwell, S.D., Page, A. and Taylor, G. (2007) Characterisation of cell death in bagged baby salad leaves. Postharvest Biology and Technology, 46 (2). pp. 150-159. ISSN 0925-5214 doi: 10.1016/j.postharvbio.2007.04.013
- Gonzalez-Carranza, Z.H., Rompa, U., Peters, J.L., Bhatt, A.M., Wagstaff, C., Stead, A.D. and Roberts, J.A. (2007) HAWAIIAN SKIRT: an F-box gene that regulates organ fusion and growth in arabidopsis. Plant Physiology, 144 (3). pp. 1370-1382. ISSN 0032-0889 doi: 10.1104/pp.106.092288
- Zhang, F.Z., Wagstaff, C., Rae, A.M., Sihota, A.K., Keevil, C.W., Rothwell, S.D., Clarkson, G.J.J., Michelmore, R.W., Truco, M.J., Dixon, M.S. and Taylor, G. (2007) QTLs for shelf life in lettuce co-locate with those for leaf biophysical properties but not with those for leaf developmental traits. Journal of Experimental Botany, 58 (6). pp. 1433-1449. ISSN 0022-0957 doi: 10.1093/jxb/erm006
2012 - 2016. BBSRC iCASE PhD with Bakkavor and Elsoms Seeds. Improving the quality of salad rocket. Luke Bell.
2013 - 2016. PhD student funded by East Malling Research/University of Reading. Mapping quality traits in strawberry in relation to water stress. Antonio Llorente.
2015. CGIAR. Grain Legumes Review for ICRISAT.
2015. Business Innovation Voucher (FoodWasteNet) with Stanswick Farm.
2014. Commercial grant with Bakkavor to develop a blueprint for rocket quality. Dr Stella Lignou, Suzanne Bird.
2014. BBSRC Sparking Impact Award for engagement with industries involved in the food chain. Dr Emma Bennett.
2014 - 2015. KTP with Valley Produce. New product development from fresh herb waste. Dr Rebecca Smith.
2011 - 2013. Leverhulme Trust. Identifying targets for improving the nutritional content of cruciferous crops. Dr Laura Pierce (ne� Atkinson)
2011 - 2015. Commercial grant (50% FTE research technician) funded by VHB Herbs to improve the quality of pot grown herbs. Kala Radha.
2011 - 2014. PhD student funded by RETF/SCRI. Transcriptome analysis of enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli in planta. Louise Birse.
2011 - 2014. PhD student funded by Kurdistani studentship. The impact of MAP on apple quality. Halala Abdulfattah.
2010 - 2012. Postdoctoral fellow funded by Spanish Government. Quantitative genetic analysis of nutritional traits in lettuce. Dr Ascension Martinez Sanchez.
2010 - 2015. Postdoctoral visiting scientist funded by R&G Herbs. Product development for herbs. Dr Laura Jackson.
2010 - 2014. PhD student funded by Malaysian Government. The role of ARR22 in seed resource accumulation and wound response. Iffah Mohd Nawi.
2009 - 2013. PhD student funded by RETF/Tozer Seeds/University of Nottingham. Resource allocation in Arabidopsis and Brassica crops. Emma Bennett.
2009 - 2014. BBSRC iCASE PhD with Tozer Seeds. Quantitative and qualitative assessment of bitterness in lettuce. Martin Chadwick.
2009 - 2013. PhD student funded by RETF and Eccentricities. The impact of beetroot consumption on cardiovascular health. Ditte Hobbs.
2008 - 2012. PhD student funded by RETF and R&G Herbs. Improving the quality of cut fresh herbs using optimised pre-harvest cultivation conditions. Ben Cruickshank.
2007 - 2010. KTP with R&G Herbs. Improving shelf life of cut fresh herbs. Dr Laura Jackson (nee Graham).
2006 - 2010. PhD student funded by McCains. The formation of glycoalkaloids during storage of potatoes. Nidhi Ramayya.
- 1995 � 1998 University of York, Department of Biology. DPhil. �Gravitropic perception, signal transduction and response in Tradescantia fluminensis and Arabidopsis thaliana�
1992 � 1995 Royal Holloway & Bedford New College, University of London. BSc Biology