Dr Erhan Aslan
Lecturer in TESOL and Applied Linguistics
Department Undergraduate Admissions Tutor
Director of the Distance MA Programme in ELT
Department Study Abroad Coordinator
- LS3IC: Intercultural Communication
- LS2YSA: Year Study Abroad
- LS2TSA: Term Study Abroad
Erhan teaches the following modules:
- LSMLCL: Language Curriculum Design
- LSMNT/R: New Technologies in Language Learning and Teaching
- LSMIC: Intercultural Communication (on-campus)
- LSMDSP: Spoken Language (distance)
- LSMDIN: Intercultural Communication (distance)
Erhan currently supervises 5 PhD students.
Areas of Interest
Erhan's main research and teaching areas of expertise are second language learning, teaching, and use as well as computer-mediated communication in social and educational Web 2.0 environments.
Recently, Erhan has been studying the language of internet memes, particularly how these particular multimodal digital texts are derived from viral media events and the particular cultural, humorous, political or ideological meanings internet users construct and convey through them.
In addition, Erhan has published research on individual differences in second language learning, particularly beliefs about language learning and foreign language anxiety, language teacher cognition and identities as well as issues related to pragmatics and cultural issues in language learning and teaching. He is currently working on a British Academy funded project (Newton Fund) focusing on research and training in intercultural communication in foreign language teacher education.
Before joining the University of Reading, Erhan taught English as a second/foreign language for several years both in Turkey and the United States. He was the proud recipient of the widely recognized and prestigious Fulbright Grant as well as the TESOL International Organization's Research Mini-Grant.
Erhan is happy to consider supervising research on language learning/teaching and technology, digital discourse and communication, L2 pragmatics, and intercultural communication.
Research groups / Centres
Memberships on Advisory and Reviewing Boards
- Aslan, E. and Ciftci, H. (2019) Synthesizing research on learner perceptions of CMC use in EFL/ESL writing. The CALICO Journal, 36 (2). pp. 100-118. ISSN 2056-9017 doi: https://doi.org/10.1558/cj.34818
- Aslan, E. (2019) ‘Oiling the social wheels’ in an undergraduate chemistry lab: an ITA’s participation in small talk. Classroom Discourse. ISSN 1946-3022 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/19463014.2019.1585891
- Ciftci, H. and Aslan, E. (2019) Computer-mediated communication in the L2 writing process: a review of studies between 2000 and 2017. International Journal of Computer Assisted Language Learning and Teaching, 9 (2). ISSN 2155-7098 doi: https://doi.org/10.4018/IJCALLT.2019040102
- Aslan, E. and Thompson, A. S. (2018) The interplay between learner beliefs and foreign language anxiety: insights from the Turkish EFL context. Language Learning Journal. ISSN 1753-2167 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/09571736.2018.1540649
- Aslan, E. and Vásquez, C. (2018) 'Cash me ousside': a citizen sociolinguistic analysis of online metalinguistic commentary. Journal of Sociolinguistics, 22 (4). pp. 406-431. ISSN 1360-6441 doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/josl.12303
- Aslan, E. and Thompson, A. S. (2017) Are they really “two different species”? Implicitly elicited student perceptions About NESTs and NNESTs. TESOL Journal, 8 (2). pp. 277-294. ISSN 1949-3533 doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/tesj.268
- Aslan, E. (2017) Doing away with the ‘native speaker’: a complex adaptive systems approach to L2 phonological attainment. Language Learning Journal, 45 (4). pp. 447-465. ISSN 1753-2167 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/09571736.2014.934271
- Binasfour, H., Setter, J. and Aslan, E. (2017) Enhancing L2 learners’ perception and production of the Arabic emphatic sounds. In: Phonetics Teaching and Learning Conference, 9-11 August 2017, London.
- Aslan, E. (2017) The impact of face systems on the pragmalinguistic features of academic e-mail requests. Pragmatics and Society, 8 (1). pp. 61-84. ISSN 1878-9714 doi: https://doi.org/10.1075/ps.8.1.04asl
- Aslan, E. and Thompson, A. S. (2016) Native and non-native speaker teachers: contextualizing perceived differences in the Turkish EFL setting. LIF – Language in Focus Journal, 2 (1). pp. 87-102. ISSN 2300-9764 doi: https://doi.org/10.1515/lifijsal-2016-0005
- Aslan, E. (2016) International teaching assistants in the US university classroom: a mixed-methods study of individual differences and L2 pragmatic competence. PhD thesis, University of South Florida.
- Aslan, E. (2015) When the native is also a non-native: “retrodicting” the complexity of language teacher cognition. Canadian Modern Language Review, 71 (3). pp. 244-269. ISSN 1710-1131 doi: https://doi.org/10.3138/cmlr.2575
- Thompson, A. and Aslan, E. (2015) Multilingualism, perceived positive language interaction (PPLI), and learner beliefs: what do Turkish students believe? International Journal of Multilingualism, 12 (3). pp. 259-275. ISSN 1747-7530 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/14790718.2014.973413
- Farley, A. and Aslan, E. (2012) The relative effects of processing instruction and meaning-based output instruction on L2 acquisition of the English subjunctive. ELT Research Journal, 1 (2). pp. 120-141. ISSN 2146-9814
- Aslan, E. and Altan, A. (2006) The role of –(s)I in Turkish indefinite nominal compounds. Language Journal, 131. pp. 57-75. ISSN 1300-3542 doi: https://doi.org/10.1501/Dilder_0000000049
PhD in Second Language Acquisition and Instructional Technology (University of South Florida, USA)
MA in Applied Linguistics and Second Language Studies (Texas Tech University, USA)
BA in English Linguistics (Hacettepe University, Turkey)
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)