Staff Profile:Professor Viv Edwards
- Professor Viv Edwards
- Job Title:
Post-Graduate Research Sub-Committee, Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Advisory Group.
Main responsibilities at the Institute of Education:
Director, National Centre for Language and Literacy.
Teaching: Supervision of Higher Degree by Research students.
- Areas of Interest:
Areas of Expertise and research interest:
- Linguistic diversity
- language and education
- language in multilingual classrooms
- literacy in developing countries
- minority languages
- professional development of teachers
Current and recent Research Students:
- Onyedikachi Abiodan-Ekus: The education of Deaf children in Nigeria with special attention to literacy learning;
- Nayr Ibrahim: Attitudes towards multilingualism in children;
- Xiaorang Zhang: Effects of residential courses in the UK on the continuing professional development of Chinese teachers of English and educational change in Western provinces in China;
- Naom Nyarigoti: The professional development of English teachers in Kenya;
- Marriote Ngwaru: Literacy and learning at home and school in a rural Zimbabwean community;
- Kwasi Opoku-Amankwa: Textbooks, classroom communication and literacy development in a multilingual school in Ghana;
- Barbara Graham: Pokomo Mother Tongue Education in Kenya: Implementation and Evaluations;
- Moon Seong Hye: An ethnographic case study of Korean soujourner families: languages, identities, cultures and practices.
Current and recent Research Projects:
The impact of training on the classroom practice of Chinese secondary teachers of English:
Evaluation of a UK programme. British Council English Language Teaching Research award.
Interdisciplinary perspectives on African language materials for children. Leverhulme Trust: www.ncll.org.uk/50_research/10_research_projects/africanlang_html]
Meeting the needs of Chinese Students in British Higher Education. Sino-British Foundation. www.ncll.org.uk/50_research/10_research_projects/chinesestudents_html
- Research groups / Centres:
National Centre for Language and Literacy; Second Language Research group.
YNumber of items: 31.
- Edwards, V. (2015) Literacy in bilingual and multilingual education. In: Wright, W. E., Boun, S. and García, O. (eds.) The Handbook of Bilingual and Multilingual Education. Wiley-Blackwell, New Malden, MA, pp. 75-91. ISBN 9781118533499
- Edwards, V. and Ngwaru, J. M. (2014) Language capital and development: the case of African language publishing for children in South Africa. International Journal of the Sociology of Language, 2014 (225). pp. 29-50. ISSN 1613-3668 doi: 10.1515/ijsl-2013-0064
- Li, D. and Edwards, V. (2013) The impact of overseas training on curriculum innovation and change in English language education in Western China. Language Teaching Research, 17 (4). pp. 390-408. ISSN 1477-0954 doi: 10.1177/1362168813494124
- Edwards, V. and Ngwaru, J. M. (2012) African language books for children: issues for authors. Language, Culture and Curriculum, 25 (2). pp. 123-137. ISSN 1747-7573 doi: 10.1080/07908318.2011.629051
- Edwards, V. and Li, D., (2011) Confucius, constructivism and the impact of continuing professional development of teachers of English in China. ELT Research Papers 11-02. Report. British Council, Manchester. pp23. ISBN 9780863556739
- Edwards, V. and Ngwaru, J. M. (2011) Multilingual education in South Africa: the role of publishers. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 32 (5). pp. 435-450. ISSN 1747-7557 doi: 10.1080/01434632.2011.592192
- Edwards, V. and Ngwaru, J. M. (2011) African language publishing for children in South Africa: challenges for translators. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 14 (5). pp. 589-602. ISSN 1367-0050 doi: 10.1080/13670050.2011.558618
- Edwards, V. (2011) Globalization and multilingualism: the case of the UK. Intercultural Communication Studies, 20 (1). pp. 27-35. ISSN 1057-7769
- Rassool, N. and Edwards, V. (2011) Multilingualism in African schools: constraints and possibilities. Language and Education, 24 (4). pp. 277-281. ISSN 1747-7581 doi: 10.1080/09500781003678720 (special issue 'Multilingualism in African schools: constraints and possibilities')
- Edwards, V. (2009) Learning to be literate. Multilingual Matters, Clevedon, Avon, pp128. ISBN 9781847690609
- Edwards, V. (2009) Linguistic diversity in the UK: from pathology to promotion. In: Lengyel, D., Reich, H., Roth, H. and Döll, M. (eds.) Von der Sprachdiagnose zur Sprachföderung. Waxmann, Berlin, pp. 35-44. ISBN 9783830921707
- Edwards, V. (2009) Vocabulary, education and diversity. In: Richards, B. J., Daller, H., Malvern, D. D., Meara, P., Milton, J. and Treffers-Daller, J. (eds.) Vocabulary studies in first and second language acquisition: the interface between theory and application. Palgrave MacMillan, Basingstoke, pp. 59-73. ISBN 9780230206687
- Edwards, V. (2008) Building on experience: meeting the needs of Chinese students in British Higher Education. In: Coverdale, T. and Rastall, P. (eds.) Internationalising the university: the Chinese context. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, pp. 185-205. ISBN 9780230203518
- Edwards, V. (2008) Immigrant languages in the UK. In: Ammon, U. and Haarmann, H. (eds.) Weiser encyclopaedia of Western European languages. Wieser Verlag, Klagenfurt, pp. 471-87. ISBN 9783851297966
- Edwards, V. (2008) New minority languages in the United Kingdom. In: Extra, G. and Gorter, D. (eds.) Multilingual Europe: facts and policies. Mouton de Gruyer, Berlin, pp. 253-70. ISBN 9783110205121
- Edwards, V. (2007) Language, diversity and education on Europe: implications for resources. In: Papapavlou, A. and Pavlou, P. (eds.) Sociolinguistic and pedagogical dimensions of dialects in education. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle, pp. 34-49. ISBN 9781847181596
- Edwards, V. (2007) Training for early literacy learning: web-based resources for teacher training in multilingual contexts. In: Alexander, N. and Busch, B. (eds.) Literacy and linguistic diversity in a global perceptive: an intercultural exchange with African countries. European Centre for Modern Languages, Graz, pp. 63-74. ISBN 9789287161413
- Edwards, V., An, R. and Daguo, L. (2007) Uneven playing field or falling standards? Chinese students' competence in English. Race, Ethnicity and Education, 10 (4). pp. 387-400. ISSN 1361-3324 (paper) 1470-109X (elec) doi: 10.1080/13613320701658431
- Rassool, N., Edwards, V. and Bloch, C. (2006) Issues in language and development in multilingual settings: a case-study of knowledge exchange and teacher education in South Africa. International Review of Education, 52 (6). pp. 533-552. ISSN 1573-0638 doi: 10.1007/s11159-006-9008-x
- Edwards, V. and Pritchard Newcombe, L. (2006) Back to basics: marketing the benefits of bilingualism to parents. In: Garcia, O., Skutnabb-Kangas, T. and Torres-Guzman, T. (eds.) Imagining multilingual schools, languages in education and globalisation. Multilingual Matters, Clevedon, pp. 137-150. ISBN 9781853598951
- Edwards, V. (2006) Education and the development of early childhood bilingualism. In: O'Riagain, D. (ed.) Voces diversae: lesser-used language education in Europe. Belfast studies in language, culture and politics, 15. Clo Ollscoilna Banriona/Queen's University, Belfast, Belfast, pp. 16-24. ISBN 9780853898863
- Rassool, N., Edwards, V. and Bloch, C. (2006) Language and development in multilingual settings: a case study of knowledge exchange and teacher education in South Africa. International Review of Education, 52 (6). pp. 533-552.
- Edwards, V. and Newcombe, L. (2005) Language transmission in the family in Wales: an example of innovative language planning. Language problems and language planning, 29 (2). pp. 135-150. ISSN 0272-2690 doi: 10.1075/lplp.29.2.03edw
- Edwards, V. and Newcombe, L. (2005) When school is not enough: new initiatives in intergenerational language transmission in Wales. International Journal of Bilingualism and Bilingual Education, 8 (4). pp. 298-312. ISSN 1367-0050 doi: 10.1080/13670050508668612
- Edwards, V. (2004) Multilingualism in the English-speaking world: pedigree of nations. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, pp264. ISBN 9780631236139
- Edwards, V., (2004) Raising the achievement of mobile pupils in Lambeth schools: good practice guidance and recommendations for schools and other agencies. UNSPECIFIED, London. doi: 0954551923
- Edwards, V., Lewis, K., McAndrew, E., Power, C. and Thompson, A. (2004) Strategies schools use to minimise the effects of mobility in achievement. In: Edwards, V. (ed.) Pupil mobility in Lambeth schools: implications for raising achievement and school management. Lambeth Education, London, pp. 91-132. ISBN 0954551915
- Walker, S., Edwards, V. and Blacksell, R. (1996) Designing bilingual books for children. Visible Language, 30 (3). ISSN 0022-2224
- Walker, S. and Edwards, V. (1996) Some status issues in the translation of children’s books. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 17 (5). pp. 339-348. ISSN 1747-7557 doi: 10.1080/01434639608666287
- Walker, S. and Edwards, V. (1995) Building bridges: multilingual resources for children. Multilingual Matters, Clevedon, pp130. ISBN 9781853592904
Edwards, V. & Ngwaru, J. M. (2011). Multilingual education in South Africa: the role of publishers. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 32(5), 43-50.
Edwards, V. & Ngwaru, J. M. (2011). African language publishing for children in South Africa: challenges for translators. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 14(5), 14(5) ,589-602.
Edwards, V. (2009). Learning to be literate: multilingual perspectives. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
Edwards, V. (2009). New minority languages in the UK. In G. Extra & D. Gorter (eds) Multilingual Europe: Facts and Policies (pp. 253-270). Berlin: Mouton de Guyter.
Edwards, V. (2009). Vocabulary, education and diversity. In B. Richards, Daller, M. Malvern, D., Meara, P. Milton, J. & Treffers-Daller, J. (eds) Vocabulary studies in first and second language acquisition: the interface between theory and application (pp. 59-73). Basingstoke: Palgrave.
Edwards, V. (2009). Linguistic diversity in the UK: from pathology to promotion. In Lengyel, D., Reich, H. Roth H-J & Döll, M. (eds) Von der Sprachdiagnose zur Sprachföderung (pp.35-44). Berlin: Waxmann.
Edwards, V. & An Ran (2008). Building on Experience: Meeting the Needs of Chinese Students in British Higher Education. In T. Coverdale & P. Rastall (eds) Internationalising the University: the Chinese Context (pp. 185-205). Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
Edwards, V. (2008). New minority languages in the United Kingdom. In G. Extra & D. Gorter (eds.) Multilingual Europe: Facts and Policies (pp.253-70). Berlin: Mouton de Gruyer.
Edwards V. (2008). Immigrant languages in the UK. In U. Ammon & H. Haarmann (eds) Weiser Encyclopaedia of Western European languages, volume 1 (pp. 471-87). Klagenfurt: Wiser Verlag.
Edwards, V. & Pritchard Newcombe, L. (2006) Back to basics: Marketing the benefits of bilingualism to parents. In O. Garcia & T. Skutnabb-Kangas (eds) Imagining multilingual schools (pp. 137-49). Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
Recent conference keynote presentations
Multilingualism in the English-speaking world: opportunities for East-West dialogue. 3rd "Engaging with Vietnam - An Interdisciplinary Dialogue" Conference, Hanoi, December 3-5, 2011.
Literacy across languages. CILT Cymru Conference on 'Making the link: literacy across languages', 1 July 2011.
All teachers are teachers of literacy. SEWCTET Annual Mentor Conference, University of Wales, Newport, 7 July 2011.
Globalization and multilingualism: the case of the UK. 16th International Conference of the Association for Intercultural Communication Studies (IAICS) on Culture, Communication and Adaptation in Global Context. June 18-20, 2010 in Guangzhou, China.
Enterprise activity; external roles and consultancy:
Evaluation of The 3Rs Project: Creating Literate School Communities project funded by the Royal Netherlands Embassy in South Africa.
Roma children in Croatia: linguistic needs and rights:
Evaluation of the National Year of Reading in Wales:
Culture of Reading: Evaluation of a key programme of PRAESA