Staff Profile:Professor Viv Edwards
- Professor Viv Edwards
- Job Title:
- Professor of Language in Education
Supervision of PhD students (no new applications).
- Areas of Interest:
Expertise and Research Interest:
- Linguistic diversity.
- Language and education.
- Language in multilingual classrooms.
- Literacy in developing countries.
- Minority languages.
- Professional development of teachers.
Current and Recent PhD Students, with Topics/Titles of their Research:
- Xiaorang Zhang: Impact of residential courses in the UK on the professional development of Chinese teachers of English and educational change in Western provinces in China.
- Lily Lei Ye: An investigation of identity formation of Chines doctoral students in the UK.
- Onyedikachi Abiodun-Ekus: Educational provision for Deaf students in a Nigerian secondary school.
- Joanne Hillier: Digital technologies and identity: a case study of student teachers specialising in art.
- Yaqoub Alghatrify: An Investigation into the Colleges of Applied Sciences English Teachers' Perceptions of Professional Development in the Sultanate of Oman.
- Wei Ye: Identity Change in Confucius Institute Chinese Teachers in the UK.
- Sherry Jie Liu: Trilingual education of ethic minority university students in China: a case study.
- Tomasz John: The international student journey: enhancing postgraduate students' experience.
- Marianne Aaron: Attitudes towards bilingual education among the Obolo people of Nigeria.
- Nayr Ibrahim: Perceptions of identity in trilingual children learning to read and write simultaneously in three languages in diverse educational contexts: a case study.
Current and Recent Research Projects:
- "Policy, pedagogy and pupil perceptions: EAL in England and Scotland". Joint project withMoray House School of Education, University of Edinburgh. Funded by the Bell Foundation.
- "Evaluation of the Nal'ibali Reading for Enjoyment bilingual supplements" for the Project for Alternative Education in South Africa (PRASEA), Cape Town. www.praesa.org.za/nalibali-research-briefing-3-telling-tales-the-story-of-the-nalibali-reading-for-enjoyment-supplements/
- "The impact of training on the classroom practice of Chinese secondary teachers of English: Evaluation of a UK programme". British Council English Language Teaching Research award. www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/confucius-constructivism-impact-continuing-professional-development-teachers-english-china
- "Interdisciplinary perspectives on African language materials for children". Leverhulme Trust: www.ncll.org.uk/50_research/10_research_projects/africanlang_html
- "Meeting the needs of Chinese Students in British Higher Education". Sino-British Foundation. www.ncll.org.uk/50_research/10_research_projects/chinesestudents_html
- Research groups / Centres:
National Centre for Language and Literacy; Second Language Research group.
YNumber of items: 33.
- Ye, L. and Edwards, V. (2015) Chinese overseas doctoral student narratives of intercultural adaptation. Journal of Research in International Education, 14 (3). ISSN 1741-2943 (In Press)
- Edwards, V. (2015) Diversity lessons from Wales: how marketing bilingualism contributes to language shift and language maintenance. In: Kuppers, A., and Bozdag, Ç. (eds.) Doing diversity in education through multilingualism, media and mobility. Istanbul Policy Centre, Istanbul, pp. 18-20, 50–51. ISBN 9786059178013
- Edwards, V. (2015) Literacy in bilingual and multilingual education. In: Wright, W. E., Boun, S. and García, O. (eds.) The Handbook of Bilingual and Multilingual Education. Wiley-Blackwell, New Malden, MA, pp. 75-91. ISBN 9781118533499
- Edwards, V. and Ngwaru, J. M. (2014) Language capital and development: the case of African language publishing for children in South Africa. International Journal of the Sociology of Language, 2014 (225). pp. 29-50. ISSN 1613-3668 doi: 10.1515/ijsl-2013-0064
- Li, D. and Edwards, V. (2013) The impact of overseas training on curriculum innovation and change in English language education in Western China. Language Teaching Research, 17 (4). pp. 390-408. ISSN 1477-0954 doi: 10.1177/1362168813494124
- Edwards, V. and Ngwaru, J. M. (2012) African language books for children: issues for authors. Language, Culture and Curriculum, 25 (2). pp. 123-137. ISSN 1747-7573 doi: 10.1080/07908318.2011.629051
- Edwards, V. and Li, D., (2011) Confucius, constructivism and the impact of continuing professional development of teachers of English in China. ELT Research Papers 11-02. Report. British Council, Manchester. pp23. ISBN 9780863556739
- Edwards, V. and Ngwaru, J. M. (2011) Multilingual education in South Africa: the role of publishers. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 32 (5). pp. 435-450. ISSN 1747-7557 doi: 10.1080/01434632.2011.592192
- Edwards, V. and Ngwaru, J. M. (2011) African language publishing for children in South Africa: challenges for translators. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 14 (5). pp. 589-602. ISSN 1367-0050 doi: 10.1080/13670050.2011.558618
- Edwards, V. (2011) Globalization and multilingualism: the case of the UK. Intercultural Communication Studies, 20 (1). pp. 27-35. ISSN 1057-7769
- Rassool, N. and Edwards, V. (2011) Multilingualism in African schools: constraints and possibilities. Language and Education, 24 (4). pp. 277-281. ISSN 1747-7581 doi: 10.1080/09500781003678720 (special issue 'Multilingualism in African schools: constraints and possibilities')
- Edwards, V. (2009) Learning to be literate. Multilingual Matters, Clevedon, Avon, pp128. ISBN 9781847690609
- Edwards, V. (2009) Linguistic diversity in the UK: from pathology to promotion. In: Lengyel, D., Reich, H., Roth, H. and Döll, M. (eds.) Von der Sprachdiagnose zur Sprachföderung. Waxmann, Berlin, pp. 35-44. ISBN 9783830921707
- Edwards, V. (2009) Vocabulary, education and diversity. In: Richards, B. J., Daller, H., Malvern, D. D., Meara, P., Milton, J. and Treffers-Daller, J. (eds.) Vocabulary studies in first and second language acquisition: the interface between theory and application. Palgrave MacMillan, Basingstoke, pp. 59-73. ISBN 9780230206687
- Edwards, V. (2008) Building on experience: meeting the needs of Chinese students in British Higher Education. In: Coverdale, T. and Rastall, P. (eds.) Internationalising the university: the Chinese context. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, pp. 185-205. ISBN 9780230203518
- Edwards, V. (2008) Immigrant languages in the UK. In: Ammon, U. and Haarmann, H. (eds.) Weiser encyclopaedia of Western European languages. Wieser Verlag, Klagenfurt, pp. 471-87. ISBN 9783851297966
- Edwards, V. (2008) New minority languages in the United Kingdom. In: Extra, G. and Gorter, D. (eds.) Multilingual Europe: facts and policies. Mouton de Gruyer, Berlin, pp. 253-70. ISBN 9783110205121
- Edwards, V. (2007) Language, diversity and education on Europe: implications for resources. In: Papapavlou, A. and Pavlou, P. (eds.) Sociolinguistic and pedagogical dimensions of dialects in education. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle, pp. 34-49. ISBN 9781847181596
- Edwards, V. (2007) Training for early literacy learning: web-based resources for teacher training in multilingual contexts. In: Alexander, N. and Busch, B. (eds.) Literacy and linguistic diversity in a global perceptive: an intercultural exchange with African countries. European Centre for Modern Languages, Graz, pp. 63-74. ISBN 9789287161413
- Edwards, V., An, R. and Daguo, L. (2007) Uneven playing field or falling standards? Chinese students' competence in English. Race, Ethnicity and Education, 10 (4). pp. 387-400. ISSN 1361-3324 (paper) 1470-109X (elec) doi: 10.1080/13613320701658431
- Rassool, N., Edwards, V. and Bloch, C. (2006) Issues in language and development in multilingual settings: a case-study of knowledge exchange and teacher education in South Africa. International Review of Education, 52 (6). pp. 533-552. ISSN 1573-0638 doi: 10.1007/s11159-006-9008-x
- Edwards, V. and Pritchard Newcombe, L. (2006) Back to basics: marketing the benefits of bilingualism to parents. In: Garcia, O., Skutnabb-Kangas, T. and Torres-Guzman, T. (eds.) Imagining multilingual schools, languages in education and globalisation. Multilingual Matters, Clevedon, pp. 137-150. ISBN 9781853598951
- Edwards, V. (2006) Education and the development of early childhood bilingualism. In: O'Riagain, D. (ed.) Voces diversae: lesser-used language education in Europe. Belfast studies in language, culture and politics, 15. Clo Ollscoilna Banriona/Queen's University, Belfast, Belfast, pp. 16-24. ISBN 9780853898863
- Rassool, N., Edwards, V. and Bloch, C. (2006) Language and development in multilingual settings: a case study of knowledge exchange and teacher education in South Africa. International Review of Education, 52 (6). pp. 533-552.
- Edwards, V. and Newcombe, L. (2005) Language transmission in the family in Wales: an example of innovative language planning. Language problems and language planning, 29 (2). pp. 135-150. ISSN 0272-2690 doi: 10.1075/lplp.29.2.03edw
- Edwards, V. and Newcombe, L. (2005) When school is not enough: new initiatives in intergenerational language transmission in Wales. International Journal of Bilingualism and Bilingual Education, 8 (4). pp. 298-312. ISSN 1367-0050 doi: 10.1080/13670050508668612
- Edwards, V. (2004) Multilingualism in the English-speaking world: pedigree of nations. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, pp264. ISBN 9780631236139
- Edwards, V., (2004) Raising the achievement of mobile pupils in Lambeth schools: good practice guidance and recommendations for schools and other agencies. UNSPECIFIED, London. doi: 0954551923
- Edwards, V., Lewis, K., McAndrew, E., Power, C. and Thompson, A. (2004) Strategies schools use to minimise the effects of mobility in achievement. In: Edwards, V. (ed.) Pupil mobility in Lambeth schools: implications for raising achievement and school management. Lambeth Education, London, pp. 91-132. ISBN 0954551915
- Walker, S., Edwards, V. and Blacksell, R. (1996) Designing bilingual books for children. Visible Language, 30 (3). ISSN 0022-2224
- Walker, S. and Edwards, V. (1996) Some status issues in the translation of children’s books. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 17 (5). pp. 339-348. ISSN 1747-7557 doi: 10.1080/01434639608666287
- Walker, S. and Edwards, V. (1995) Building bridges: multilingual resources for children. Multilingual Matters, Clevedon, pp130. ISBN 9781853592904
Recent Conference Presentations:
- African language publishing for children: a story about stories. Keynote presentation at conference organised by the Reading Association of South Africa (RASA), the International Reading Association (IRA) and International Development Committee-Africa (IDC-A) on 'Imagination and literacy: Theory and practice', Cape Town, September 2015.
- Telling Tales: The story of the Nal'ibali Reading-for-Enjoyment Supplements. Conference organised by the Reading Association of South Africa (RASA), the International Reading Association (IRA) and International Development Committee-Africa (IDC-A) on 'Imagination and literacy: Theory and practice', Cape Town, September 2015.
- Doing school: cross-cultural encounters. Australian Council of TESOL Associations 14th annual conference. Melbourne, Australia, 30 September-3 October 2014.
- Diversity lessons from Wales: How marketing bilingualism contributes to language shift and language maintenance. Invited speaker at Symposium on 'Doing diversity in Education through multilingualism, media and mobility'. Istanbul Policy Centre, June 2014.
- With Daguo Li: Innovation and change in English language education in China. Annual conference of the Comparative Education Society of Europe, University of Freiburg, Germany, June 2014.
- 'Doing diversity': the marketing of other languages. Australian Council of TESOL Associations 14th annual conference. Melbourne, Australia, 30 September-3 October 2014.
- Multilingualism in the English-speaking world: opportunities for East-West dialogue. Invited speaker, colloquium on 'Understanding and using languages in a globalising world', American Association for Applied Linguistics annual conference, 15-17 March 2013, Dallas, Texas.
Any Further Information:
Enterprise Activity, External Roles and Consultancy:
- Editor: Language and Education.
- Series editor: New Perspectives on Language and Education, Multilingual Matters.
- Member of the International Editorial Advisory Board for the 3rd Edition of the Encyclopedia of Language and Education.
- Member of the AILA Research Network (ReN) on Social and Affective Factors in Home Language Maintenance and Development.
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.