Staff Profile:Professor Rhona Stainthorp
- Professor Rhona Stainthorp
- Job Title:
- Member of the Prosperity & Resilience External Engagement Committee.
Institute of Education Responsibilities (Teaching):
Contributions to: MA in Education and PGCE on Teaching Phonics and Teaching Handwriting.
- Areas of Interest:
Masters and PhD Level Supervision offered in these areas:
- The development of reading and writing, including spelling and handwriting.
- Effective teaching of reading and writing.
- Individual differences in reading and writing, including precocious ability and children with learning difficulties.
Current Research Students:
- Denise Thompson.
- Deborah Grimmond.
- Anna Tzakalaki.
Recent Research Students:
- Elizabeth Blackford.
- Naomi Flynn.
- Selma Babayigit.
- Sophia Cholidou.
- Hiromi Tsuji.
- Maria Constantinidou.
Current and Recent Research Projects:
- Your kindle and you: a study of use and attitudes to kindles in Key Stage 2.
- Transcription skills and literacy in Key Stage 3.
- Spelling in Key Stage 2.
- A longitudinal investigation of Rapid Automatized Naming performance and its relationship to reading: the role of orthographic processing. (ESRC funded: Powell, D., Stainthorp, R., & Stuart, M.).
- Investigating orthographic processes and their relation to reading in children with rapid automatized naming deficits (ESRC funded: Stainthorp, R., Stuart, M. & Quinlan, P.).
- Research groups / Centres:
First language research group.
YNumber of items: 34.
- Stainthorp, R. (2016) The structure of literacy teaching: a case study from England. In: Cook, V. and Ryan, D. (eds.) The Routledge Handbook of the English Writing System. Routledge, London, pp. 235-257. ISBN 9780415715973
- Stuart, M. and Stainthorp, R. (2016) Reading development and teaching. Sage, pp240. ISBN 9781446249031
- Stuart, M. and Stainthorp, R. (2016) Supporting teachers in the teaching of reading, or what every teacher should know. Patoss Bulletin, 29 (1). ISSN 1476-1521
- Stainthorp, R. (2014) Dyslexia and remediation/education: where next? Current developmental disorders reports, 1 (4). pp. 260-266. ISSN 2196-2987 doi: 10.1007/s40474-014-0029-z
- Powell, D., Stainthorp, R. and Stuart, M. (2014) Deficits in orthographic knowledge in children poor at rapid automatized naming (RAN) tasks? Scientific Studies of Reading, 18 (3). pp. 192-207. ISSN 1088-8438 doi: 10.1080/10888438.2013.862249
- Stainthorp, R., Powell, D. and Stuart, M. (2013) The relationship between rapid naming and word spelling in English. Journal of Research in Reading, 36 (4). pp. 371-388. ISSN 1467-9817
- Babayigit, S. and Stainthorp, R. (2013) Correlates of early reading comprehension skills: a componential analysis. Educational Psychology, 34 (2). pp. 185-207. ISSN 0144-3410 doi: 10.1080/01443410.2013.785045
- Babayigit, S. and Stainthorp, R. (2011) Modeling the relationships between cognitive–linguistic skills and literacy skills: new insights from a transparent orthography. Journal of Educational Psychology, 103 (1). pp. 169-189. ISSN 0022-0663 doi: 10.1037/a0021671
- Stainthorp, R. W., Stuart, M., Powell, D., Quinlan, P. and Garwood, H. (2010) Visual processing deficits in children with slow RAN performance. Scientific Studies of Reading, 14 (3). pp. 266-292. ISSN 1088-8438 doi: 10.1080/10888431003724070
- Babayiğit, S. and Stainthorp, R. W. (2010) Component processes of early reading, spelling, and narrative writing skills in Turkish: a longitudinal study. Reading and writing: an interdisciplinary journal, 23 (5). pp. 539-568. ISSN 0922-4777 doi: 10.1007/s11145-009-9173-y
- Constantinidou, M. and Stainthorp, R. W. (2009) Phonological awareness and reading speed deficits in reading disabled Greek-speaking children. Educational Psychology, 29 (2). pp. 171-186. ISSN 0144-3410 doi: 10.1080/01443410802613483
- Stainthorp, R. (2009) Reviewing the primary curriculum in England: the Rose and the Cambridge Reviews. Learning Difficulties Australia Bulletin, 41 (2). pp. 9-10.
- Stainthorp, R. W. and Rauf, N. (2009) An investigation of the influence of the transcription skills of handwriting and spelling on the quality of text writing by girls and boys in Key Stage 2. Handwriting Today, 8. pp. 8-13. ISSN 1744-036X
- Tennent, W., Stainthorp, R. and Stuart, M. (2008) Assessing reading at Key Stage 2: SATs as measures of children's inferential abilities. British Educational Research Journal, 34 (4). pp. 431-446. ISSN 0141-1926 doi: 10.1080/01411920701532251
- Stuart, M., Stainthorp, R. and Snowling, M. (2008) Literacy as a complex activity: deconstructing the simple view of reading. Literacy, 42 (2). pp. 59-66. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-4369.2008.00490.x
- Tsuij, H. and Stainthorp, R. (2008) An investigation of maternal communication styles during conversations with young children: Drawing on an analysis of the expression of communicative intentions in Japanese dyads. In: Ogura, T. (ed.) Studies in Language Sciences. Kurosio Publishers, Tokyo, pp. 95-111.
- Powell, D., Stainthorp, R., Stuart, M., Garwood, H. and Quinlan, P. (2008) The relationship between phonological awareness, phonological memory, Rapid Automatized Naming (RAN) and reading in monolingual and bilingual English children. International Journal of Psychology, 43 (3-4). p. 18. ISSN 0020-7594 doi: 10.1080/00207594.2008.10108483
- Powell, D., Stainthorp, R., Stuart, M., Garwood, H. and Quinlan, P. (2007) An experimental comparison between rival theories of rapid automatized naming performance and its relationship to reading. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 98 (1). pp. 46-68. ISSN 0022-0965 doi: 10.1016/j.jecp.2007.04.003
- Babayigit, S. and Stainthorp, R. (2007) Preliterate phonological awareness and early literacy skills in Turkish. Journal of Research in Reading, 30 (4). pp. 394-413. ISSN 0141-0423 doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9817.2007.00350.x
- Stainthorp, R., Stuart, M. , Garwood, H., Powell, D. and Quinlan, P. (2007) An experimental comparison between rival theories of rapid automatized naming performance and its relationship to reading. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 98 (1). pp. 46-68. ISSN 0022-0965 doi: 10.1016/j.jecp.2007.04.003
- Blackford, E. and Stainthorp, R. (2007) The interpretation of Kodaly's philosophy of music education by teachers working in England and Scotland. Bulletin of the International Kodaly Society, 32. pp. 30-38.
- Mishra, R. and Stainthorp, R. (2007) The relationship between phonological awareness and word reading accuracy in Oriya and English: A Study of Oriya-speaking fifth-graders. Journal of Research in Reading, 30 (1). pp. 23-27. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9817.2006.00326.x
- Stainthorp, R., Barnett, A., Henderson, S. and Scheib, B. (2006) Handwriting, policy and practice in primary schools. Issues in practice. University of London, Institute of Education, London, pp20. ISBN 9780854737284
- Stainthorp, R. (2006) Open dialogue peer review: a response to Stuart. The Psychology of Education Review, 30 (2). pp. 35-37.
- Flynn, N. and Stainthorp, R. (2006) The learning and teaching of reading and writing. WileyBlackwell, Chichester. ISBN 9780470019399
- Stainthorp, R. (2006) A rose is a rows: a celebration of the importance of accurate word reading to ensure understanding of texts. In: Lewis, M. and Ellis, S. (eds.) Phonics: practice research and policies. SAGE (formerly Paul Chapman Publishing), London, pp. 116-118. ISBN 9781412930857
- Stuart, M. and Stainthorp, R., (2006) The searchlights model-the case for change. Appendix I in Independent review of the teaching of Early Reading (The Rose Review). UNSPECIFIED
- Stainthorp, R. (2004) W(h)ither phonological awareness? Literate trainee teachers’ lack of stable knowledge about the sound structure of words. Educational Psychology, 24 (6). pp. 753-766. ISSN 0144-3410 doi: 10.1080/0144341042000271728
- Stainthorp, R. and Hughes, D. (2004) What happens to precocious readers’ performance by the age of 11 years? Journal of Research in Reading, 27 (4). pp. 357-372. ISSN 1467-9817 doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9817.2004.00239.x
- Stainthorp, R. and Hughes, D. (2004) An illustrative case study of precocious reading ability. Gifted Child Quarterly, 48 (2). pp. 107-120. ISSN 0016-9862 doi: 10.1177/001698620404800204
- Stainthorp, R. (2003) Phonology and learning to read. In: Hall, N., Larson, J. and Marsh, J. (eds.) Handbook of early childhood literacy. Sage, London, pp. 209-221. ISBN 9780761974376
- Stainthorp, R. and Hughes, D. (2000) Family literacy activities in the homes of successful young readers. Journal of Research in Reading, 23 (1). pp. 41-54. ISSN 1467-9817 doi: 10.1111/1467-9817.00101
- Stainthorp, R. and Hughes, D. (1999) Learning from children who read at an early age. Routledge, pp177. ISBN 9780415174954
- Stainthorp, R. and Hughes, D. (1998) Phonological sensitivity and reading: evidence from precocious readers. Journal of Research in Reading, 21 (1). pp. 53-68. ISSN 0141-0423 doi: 10.1111/1467-9817.00042
Recent Conference Papers
- An essential tutorial into word reading (Stainthorp & Stuart) TES conferences Manchester (May 2012) and London (October 2012).
- The first results from the phonics screening check - do the data tell us anything (Stainthorp, Powell & Chesson). Centre for Reading and Language workshop, University of York (2012).
- Stories of success: precocious readers as young adults.(Stainthorp and Hughes) XVIIIth Annual Conference of the Society for the Scientific Study of Reading, St Petersberg, Florida (2011).
- Does RAN performance contribute to word spelling? (Stainthorp, Powell, and Stuart). XVIIth Annual Conference of the Society for the Scientific Study of Reading, Berlin, Germany (2010).
- The impact of transcription skills on text writing in children age 9-11 years (2009) (Stainthorp). XIIIth Biennial Conference, European Association for Learning and Instruction, Free University, Amsterdam.
- The relationship between rapid automatized naming and word spelling (Stainthorp, Powell & Stuart). BPS Psychology of Education conference, Preston (2009).
- The relationship between phonological awareness, phonological memory, rapid automatised naming (RAN) and reading in monolingual and bilingual English children. (Stainthorp, Powell, Stuart, Quinlan and Garwood). XXIXth International Congress of Psychology, Berlin (2008).
- Student teachers explicit levels of phonological awareness (Stainthorp). BPS Psychology of Education conference, Milton Keynes (2008).
Any Further Information:
Enterprise activity, External Roles and Consultancy:
- Chair of the Forum for Research in Literacy and Language.
- Language consultant for Alphablocks (CBeebies).
- Member of the ERSC Grant Awarding Panel.
- Member of the editorial board Journal of Research in Reading.
- Member of the editorial board Educational Psychology.
- Member of the editorial board Reading Research Quarterly.
- Advisor to HM Government on the teaching of early reading.
- Member of the Welsh Assembly Government National Literacy Plan Task and Finish Group.
- Consultant to the Vietnamese Ministry of Education and Training on the teaching of English (2010) (funded by the British Council, Hanoi).
- Consultant to the Malaysian Ministry of Education on the teaching of reading (2009-10) (funded by the British Council, Kuala Lumpur).