Staff Profile:Dr Louise Courtney
- Dr Louise Courtney
- Job Title:
- Deputy Director for MA Programme
- Recruitment and outreach network.
- FAHSS Language Teaching committee.
Institute of Education Responsibilities:
- Director of MA programmes.
- Lecturer in language, education and research methods.
- Leader of institute widening participation working party.
- Module convenor core module - Investigating Education.
- Contributes to several modules: English Language - study skills; Assessment and Measurement; English Language Teaching; EdD research methods training and Vocabulary Teaching and Learning.
- Areas of Interest:
Expertise and Research Interest:
- Second language acquisition.
- Second language teaching and learning.
- Primary language teaching.
- Second language motivation.
- Primary to secondary transition.
- Lexical development.
- Grammatical development (French), development of second language literacy skills, individual differences.
Masters, PhD and EdD Supervision offered in these areas:
- Second language teaching and learning, motivation, second language literacy, lexical and grammatical development, individual differences.
Current PhD and EdD Students, with topics/titles of their research:
- Muhammad Yasir Yahya The development and implementation of a speaking module in oral presentation among undergraduate students in Malaysia.
- Anne House What does it mean for children with significant writing difficulties to work with assistive technology in a mainstream secondary school: a case study using speech recognition software. (with Daisy Powell).
- Brent Jones A Transformative Look at Engagement in EFL Contexts in Japan (with XiaoLan Curdt-Christiansen).
- Navin Puri An exploration and investigation in determining if an ethic of caring and professionalism is essential to the definition and maintenance of effective teaching amongst secondary school teachers after experiencing incidents of aggression and violence from pupils (with Tony MacFadyen).
Current and Recent Research Projects:
- Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary Knowledge, Working Memory and Mathematics Attainment of Children with English as Additional Language (EAL): Pilot Study. An internally funded cross-disciplinary project evaluating the relationship between English proficiency and mathematical ability of EAL learners in England.
- Primary Modern Languages: the impact of teaching approaches on attainment and preparedness for secondary school language learning. This project has been funded by the Nuffield Foundation and is a 2-year project (2012-2014) investigating the teaching of French in primary schools and its impact on learners' grammatical knowledge and preparedness for secondary school MFL learning. See Nuffield Foundation PML.
- Moving from primary to secondary education: An investigation into the effect of primary to secondary transition on motivation for language learning and foreign language proficiency. 2010-2014, University of Southampton ESRC sponsored studentship ES/H010440/1.
- Research groups / Centres:
- Member of institute first and second language research groups.
- Member of the AILA Research Network in Early Language Learning.
- Recent Publications:
YYNumber of items: 2.
- Courtney, L. (2017) Transition in modern foreign languages: a longitudinal study of motivation for language learning and second language proficiency. Oxford Review of Education. ISSN 0305-4985 (In Press)
- Courtney, L. (2014). Moving from primary to secondary education: An investigation into the effect of primary to secondary transition on motivation for language learning and foreign language proficiency. Unpublished PhD thesis.
Selection of Conference Papers:
- Early language learning: A study of motivation at primary to secondary school transition. AILA World Congress 24th August 2011 Beijing.
- A study of young learner motivation: adding an affective dimension to the 'younger = better' debate. BAAL LL&T SIG 5th July 2012 Oxford.
- The lexical development of young instructed learners of French: the role of individual and contextual factors across the primary to secondary school transition. BAAL LL&T SIG 5th July 2013 Twickenham.
- The morpho-syntactic development of early instructed learners of L2 French: the case of grammatical gender. BAAL Annual Conference 5th September 2013 Edinburgh.
- Primary to Secondary transition in MFL: a discussion of the strategies used to maintain progression and motivation for language learning and the outcomes. Language World Conference 5th April 2014 Lancaster.
- Primary to secondary transition in MFL: insights from research. Language World Conference 20th March 2015 Newcastle.
- Répétez: sentence repetition as a measure of lexical and grammatical knowledge of young learners of French. Teaching English to Young Learners Conference 6th June 2015, Jagodina Serbia.
- Individual Differences in Early Language Learning. BAAL Language Learning and Teaching SIG Conference 2nd July 2015, Edinburgh.
Selected Invited Presentations:
- Making the most of assessment: designing multi-purpose tasks for young language learners. Assessing Young Learners Seminar 21st October 2011 Warsaw.
- Primary to Secondary Transition in French: Insights from research. Primary and Secondary MFL conference, 15th November 2014, University of Westminster.
- Primary Modern Languages: the impact of teaching approaches on attainment and preparedness for secondary school language learning (with Suzanne Graham). National Association for Language Advisors Annual Conference, 11th July 2015, Stratford-upon-Avon.
Any Further Information:
Enterprise and International Activity:
- Department for Education: Funding to provide CPD to introduce the new National Curriculum for MFL (primary and secondary schools).
- Collaborator for the "The Language Magician", a project funded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union launched on 1 September 2015. Project with 10 European partners from four European countries have built a Strategic Partnership in order to support the learning and teaching of foreign languages at primary school level.