Staff Profile:Professor Jeanine Treffers-Daller
- Professor Jeanine Treffers-Daller
- Job Title:
- Professor of Second Language Education
Director of the Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism https://www.reading.ac.uk/celm/
Institute of Education Responsibilities:
Member of the research group Language and Literacy in Education; member of the Ethics Committee, Co-Director of the MA in English Language Education.
- Areas of Interest:
Expertise and Research Interest:
- Bilingualism and Language Contact (code-switching, borrowing, transfer and contact-induced change, measuring bilingual language proficiency in bilinguals/heritage speakers, language dominance).
- Second Language Acquisition (the expression of motion by second language learners, vocabulary learning and teaching, lexical richness, native-like selection of lexical items in bilinguals and L2 learners, statistical learning, automated assessment of vocabulary learning in writing, CEFR, formulaic language).
Masters Level Supervision offered in these areas:
- Assessing incidental vocabulary learning by Chinese EFL learners: a test of the Involvement Load Hypothesis.
- English vocabulary knowledge of asylum seekers.
- The effect of speech rate on English listening comprehension development among grade one students in a Chinese high school.
- Bilingual Exposure and Language Acquisition: the impact of the parental input on bilingual children's language development in English.
- Using category fluency tests and semantic fluency tests to measure language ability in bilinguals.
- The effect of processing instruction on Chinese learners' acquisition of English counterfactual sentences.
- Forward transfer in L2 writing: The case of Chinese ESL learners in a secondary school.
PhD and EdD Supervision offered in these areas:
- Automated assessment of vocabulary.
- Vocabulary learning and teaching (including formulaic sequences).
- Motion event cognition.
- Language dominance in bilinguals and second language learning.
- Lexical richness.
- Corpus linguistics.
- For further details, see my research interests.
Current and Recent PhD Students, with Topics/Titles of their Research:
- Sally Alghamdi: The effect of using spaced repetition on vocabulary retention in English for second language learners.
- Reham Alkhudiry: Investigating the relationship between vocabulary knowledge and reading comprehension.
- Anthony Attwood: Teaching and Learning the expression of motion events in English.
- Evelyn Egger: Biliteracy development in bilingual children: Effects on language and cognition.
- Julia Hofweber: The impact of code-switching on bilinguals' performance at cognitive control tasks.
- Arjen de Korte: The role of grammar teaching in Second Language Acquisition.
- Zdislava Šišková: Lexical Richness and Textual Cohesion in Free Written Production of Slavic EFL Learners (completed 2015).
- Yun Wang: Explaining listening comprehension among non-English major university students: the impact of text characteristics, interlocutor characteristics, task characteristics, listener characteristics and process characteristics.
Current and Recent Research Projects:
- Incidental acquisition among Chinese learners of English.
- The role of statistical learning in the acquisition of motion event construals.
- Language ability of Turkish heritage speakers and returnees.
- Formulaic language in bilinguals and second language learners.
- Automated assessment of lexical diversity and n-grams in essays of test takers of the Pearson Test of English Academic (Autovocab) (funded by Pearson).
- Research groups / Centres:
- Language and Literacy in Education.
- Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism.
YNumber of items: 33.
- Treffers-Daller, J., Parslow, P. and Williams, S. (2016) Back to basics: how measures of lexical diversity can help discriminate between CEFR levels. Applied Linguistics. ISSN 1477-450X doi: 10.1093/applin/amw009
- Tang, C. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2016) Assessing incidental vocabulary learning by Chinese EFL learners: a test of the Involvement Load Hypothesis. In: Yu, G. and Jin, Y. (eds.) Assessing Chinese learners of English: language constructs, consequences and conundrums. Palgrave, London, pp. 121-149. ISBN 9781137449771 (In Press)
- Silva-Corvalan, C. and Treffers-Daller, J., eds. (2016) Language dominance in bilinguals: issues of measurement and operationalization. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. ISBN 9781107044494
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Korybski, T. (2015) Using lexical diversity measures to operationalise language dominance in bilinguals. In: Silva-Corvalan, C. and Treffers-Daller, J. (eds.) Language dominance in bilinguals: issues of measurement and operationalization. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 106-123. ISBN 9781107044494
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Tidball, F. (2015) Can L2 learners learn new ways to conceptualise events? Evidence from motion event construal among English-speaking learners of French. In: Guijarro-Fuentes, P., Schmitz, K. and Müller, N. (eds.) The acquisition of French in multi-lingual contexts. Multilingual Matters, Bristol, pp. 145-184. ISBN 9781783094523
- Treffers-Daller, J., Daller, M., Furman, R. and Rothman, J. (2015) Ultimate attainment in the use of collocations among heritage speakers of Turkish in Germany and Turkish-German returnees. Bilingualism Language and Cognition. ISSN 1366-7289 doi: 10.1017/S1366728915000139
- Treffers-Daller, J., Daller, M., Furman, R. and Rothman, J. (2015) Ultimate attainment in the use of collocations among heritage speakers of Turkish in Germany and Turkish–German returnees. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition. ISSN 1469-1841 doi: 10.1017/S1366728915000139
- Treffers-Daller, J., Daller, M., Furman, R. and Rothman, J. (2015) Ultimate attainment in the use of lexical collocations among heritage speakers of Turkish in Germany and Turkish-German returnees. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition. pp. 1-16. ISSN 1469-1841 doi: 10.1017/S1366728915000139
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Calude, A. (2015) The role of statistical learning in the acquisition of motion event construal in a second language. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 18 (5). pp. 602-623. ISSN 1367-0050 doi: 10.1080/13670050.2015.1027146
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Xu, Z. (2015) Can classroom learners use statistical learning? A new perspective on motion event construal in a second language. Vigo International Journal of Applied Linguistics. ISSN 1697-0381 (In Press)
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2015) The construct of language dominance, its operationalization and measurement. In: Silva-Corvalan, C. and Treffers-Daller, J. (eds.) Language Dominance in Bilinguals: Issues of Measurement and Operationalization. CUP, Cambridge. (In Press)
- Daller, M. H. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2014) Moving between languages: Turkish returnees from Germany. In: Menzel, B. and Engel, C. (eds.) Rückkehr in die Fremde? Ethnische Remigration russlanddeutscher Spätaussiedler. Ost-West-Express. Kultur und Übersetzung (21). Frank & Timme, Berlin, pp. 185-212. ISBN 9873865964663
- Rothman, J. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2014) A prolegomenon to the construct of the native speaker: heritage speaker bilinguals are natives too! Applied Linguistics, 35 (1). pp. 93-98. ISSN 1477-450X doi: 10.1093/applin/amt049
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2013) Measuring lexical diversity among L2 learners of French: an exploration of the validity of D, MTLD and HD-D as measures of language ability. In: Jarvis, S. and Daller, M. (eds.) Vocabulary knowledge: human ratings and automated measures. Benjamins, Amsterdam, pp. 79-104. ISBN 9789027241887
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Milton, J. (2013) Vocabulary size revisited: the link between vocabulary size and academic achievement. Applied Linguistics Review, 4 (1). pp. 151-172. ISSN 1868-6311 doi: 10.1515/applirev-2013-0007
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2012) Thinking for speaking and linguistic relativity among bilinguals: towards a new research agenda. Language, Interaction and Acquisition , 3 (2). pp. 288-300. ISSN 1879-7873 doi: 10.1075/lia.3.2.06tre
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Sakel, J., eds. (2012) New perspectives on transfer among bilinguals and L2 users. International Journal of Bilingualism, 16 (1). SAGE, London, pp174.
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2012) Grammatical collocations and verb-particle constructions in Brussels French: a corpus-linguistic approach to transfer. International Journal of Bilingualism, 16 (1). pp. 53-82. ISSN 1367-0069 doi: 10.1177/1367006911403213
- Larrañaga, P., Treffers-Daller, J., Tidball, F. and Gil Ortega, M.-c. (2012) L1 transfer in the acquisition of manner and path in Spanish by native speakers of English. International Journal of Bilingualism, 16 (1). pp. 117-138. ISSN 1756-6878 doi: 10.1177/1367006911405577
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2011) Chercher pour or chercher après: arguing the case for contact-induced linguistic innovation in different varieties of French. In: Martineau, F. and Nadasdi, T. (eds.) Le francais en contact. Hommages a Raymond Mougeon. Universite de Laval, Canada, pp. 375-392. ISBN 9782763793177
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2011) Operationalising and measuring language dominance. International Journal of Bilingualism, 15 (2). pp. 147-163. ISSN 1756-6878 doi: 10.1177/1367006910381186
- Daller, M. H., Treffers-Daller, J. and Furman, R. (2011) Transfer of conceptualisation patterns in bilinguals: the construal of motion events in Turkish and German. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 14 (1). pp. 95-119. ISSN 1469-1841 doi: 10.1017/S1366728910000106
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2010) Borrowing. In: Fried, M., Östman, J.-O. and Verschueren, J. (eds.) Variation and change: pragmatic perspectives. Handbook of pragmatics highlights (6). John Benjamins, Amsterdam / Philadelphia, pp. 17-35. ISBN 9789027289179
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2009) Language dominance and lexical diversity: how bilinguals and L2 learners differ in their knowledge and use of French lexical and functional items. In: Richards, B., Daller, H. M., Malvern, D. D., Milton, J. and Treffers-Daller, J. (eds.) Vocabulary studies in first and second language acquisition. The interface between theory and application. Palgrave, Basingstoke, UK, pp. 74-90. ISBN 9780230206687
- Tidball, F. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2008) Analysing lexical richness in French learner language: what frequency lists and teacher judgements can tell us about basic and advanced words. Journal of French Language Studies, 18 (3). pp. 299-313. ISSN 0959-2695 doi: 10.1017/S0959269508003463 (Special issue: knowledge and use of the lexicon in French as a second language)
- Treffers-Daller, J., Daller, M. H., Malvern, D., Richards, B., Meara, P. and Milton, J., eds. (2008) Knowledge and use of the lexicon in French as a second language. Journal of French Language Studies, 18 (3). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp112. (Special issue 03)
- Milton, J., Daller, H., Malvern, D., Meara, P., Richards, B. and Treffers-Daller, J., eds. (2008) Vocabulary. Language Learning Journal (special issue), 36 (2). Routledge, pp. 135-265.
- Treffers-Daller, J., Ozsoy, A. S. and van Hout, R. (2007) (In)Complete acquisition of Turkish among Turkish German bilinguals in Germany and Turkey: an analysis of complex embeddings in narratives. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 10 (3). pp. 248-276. ISSN 1367-0050 doi: 10.2167/beb443.0
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2005) Brussels French une fois: Transfer-induced innovation or system-internal development? Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 8 (2). pp. 145-157. ISSN 1469-1841 doi: 10.1017/S1366728905002166
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2005) Evidence for insertional codemixing: mixed compounds and French nominal groups in Brussels Dutch. International Journal of Bilingualism, 9 (3-4). pp. 477-506. ISSN 1756-6878 doi: 10.1177/13670069050090030901
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Mougeon, R. (2005) The role of transfer in language variation and change: Evidence from contact varieties of French. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 8 (2). pp. 93-98. ISSN 1469-1841 doi: 10.1017/S1366728905002191
- Treffers-Daller, J. (1999) Borrowing and shift-induced interference: contrasting patterns in French-Germanic contact in Brussels and Strasbourg. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 2 (1). pp. 1-22. ISSN 1469-1841
- Treffers-Daller, J. (1991) Towards a uniform approach to code-switching and borrowing. In: ESF Network on Codeswitching and language contact, g. (ed.) Papers for the workshop on constraints, conditions and models. European Science Foundation, Strasbourg, pp. 259-279.
- Brussels (Belgium). April 2016. Invited speaker at the Symposium on Translanguaging in Multilingual Urban Settings.
- Sheffield (UK). January 2016. Invited speaker at the Workshop Perspectives on making language meaningful in the language learning context".
- Aix-en-Provence (France). August 2015. Eurosla. Discussant at the Language Learning Round Table on Second Language Acquisition and Pidginization / Creolization: Processes and Models.
- Nijmegen (the Netherlands), 11-13 September, 2015. Invited keynote speaker at the Third Learner Corpus Research Conference.
- Trondheim (Norway), August 2015. Invited keynote speaker at SALC5 (The Fifth Conference of the Scandinavian Association for Language and Cognition, Trondheim (Norway).
- Essex (UK). July 2015. At home in more than two languages. Communication strategies and language practices of multilingual families. Thinking home Symposium.
- Swansea (UK). July 2015. How does vocabulary knowledge affect academic achievement among HE students? Vocabulary SIG, British Association for Applied Linguistics.
- Thessaloniki (Greece), 24-26 April 2015. Invited plenary speaker at the 22nd Symposium on Theoretical and Applied Linguistics.
- Yangling (China). April 2015. What's in a word? Invited speaker, Foreign Language Department of Northwest A&F University, Yangling (Xian Province).
- Bristol University, Graduate School of Education, 5th December 2014. Evaluating vocabulary usage in student essays written for the Pearson Test of English Academic: Can we predict CEFR levels?.
- Trondheim (Norway), 6th November 2014. Learning out of the corner of your ear: the role of statistical learning in L2 acquisition.
- Lille, 20-21 June 2014, Aspectual markers in motion event constuals among English and Italian monolinguals and Italian-English bilinguals. Langacross conference (with Jacqueline Laws and Eliana Mastrantuono).
- Amsterdam, 21 February 2014. ACLC. The impact of reading and vocabulary on academic achievement.
- Brussels, 10th January 2014.Contact-induced change in grammatical collocations in Brussels French. Workshop French as spoken in Brussels. Facultés Universitaires St Louis in Brussels.
Any Further Information:
Enterprise Activity, External Roles and Consultancy:
- Member of the ESRC peer review College.
- Treasurer of the University Council for General and Applied Linguistics.