Staff Profile:Professor Jeanine Treffers-Daller
- Professor Jeanine Treffers-Daller
- Job Title:
- Professor of Second Language Education
- Director of the Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism
- Convenor of the Second Language Acquisition Research Group
Second Language Teaching and Learning, Assessment and Measurement, English and Language: Study Skills and Research Methods (MA in Education)
- Areas of Interest:
Areas of Expertise and Research Interests:
- Bilingualism and Language Contact
- Code-switching, borrowing, transfer and contact-induced change
- Measuring bilingual language proficiency
- Second Language Acquisition
- The expression of movement in different languages
- Vocabulary learning and teaching
- Lexical richness
- Native-like selection of lexical items in bilinguals and L2 learners
Examples of projects I have supervised at M-level:
- Effects of reading tasks on incidental vocabulary acquisition
- English vocabulary knowledge of asylum seekers: an analysis of picture stories
- Using category fluency tests and semantic fluency tests to measure language ability in bilinguals
- The effect of processing instruction on Chinese learners' acquisition of English counterfactual sentences
- Forward transfer in L2 writing: The case of Chinese ESL learners in a secondary school
I welcome proposals in any area that is related to my research. I am particularly interested in M-level projects which aim to test how vocabulary or grammar points are best taught, either in English as a Foreign Language, or teaching of MFL in mainstream schools or teaching of community languages in complementary schools.
Currently I am first supervisor for two PhD students:
- Arjen de Korte: Should English grammar be taught explicitly to secondary school students in the Netherlands?
- Zdislava Šiškova: lexical richness and cohesion in essays of Czech EFL learners
Completed PhD supervisions:
- Majid Fatahipour: Lexical richness in essays of EFL students in Iran
- Çiler Hatipoğlu: Cultural and gender differences in the use of apologies in English and Turkish in 2003 (within three years). Çiler now works as Associate Professor at Middle Eastern Technical University in Ankara.
- Tomasz Korybski: Polish - English code-switching and other language contact phenomena in the speech of Polish migrants in the United Kingdom
- Xu Ziyan: Motion event construal among Chinese and French EFL learners. She works as a teacher of English at Bejing Institute for Technology.
- I have also been second supervisor of other PhD students who work on formulaic sequences in essays of Chinese EFL students, and on modality markers in the ambassadorial speeches of American and British ambassadors in Vietnam.
I welcome further applications from PhD students in areas related to my own research specialisms.
Current and recent research projects:
Most of my research focuses on Bilingualism and Language Contact, in particular on code-switching, borrowing and contact-induced language change.
More recently I have worked on conceptual transfer and the relationship between language and thought in bilinguals and L2 learners, in particular in relation to motion event construal (manner and path of motion). Recently I obtained funding from the European Science Foundation for an Exploratory Workshop on Thinking, Speaking and Gesturing in Two Languages (12-15 September 2012), together with Panos Athanasopoulos from the University of Newcastle. I have also studied vocabulary richness, native-like selection and syntactic complexity in Turkish-German bilinguals.
Work on vocabulary forms my second main area of interest. Currently I am working on the automated assessment of n-grams and lexical diversity in essays written for the Pearson Test of English Academic (funded by Pearson).
Together with other members of the M4 Applied Linguistics Network (http://www.lognostics.co.uk/M4AL/index.htm) I organised an ESRC seminar series entitled Models and measures of vocabulary acquisition, knowledge and use: the interface between theory and applications from 2006-2007, which resulted in a range of publications: a jointly edited special issue of the Journal of French Language Studies (CUP), entitled Knowledge and use of the lexicon in French as a second language, of which I was the lead editor, as well as special issue of the International Journal of Bilingualism and a book with Palgrave.
Finally I co-ordinated the Learner Language Project at UWE Bristol which focuses on the development of oral proficiency of learners of English, French, German and Spanish. The data will be donated to the CHILDES database.
A full CV can be accessed here
- Research groups / Centres:
Second Language Research Acquisition Group
YNumber of items: 28.
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Tang, C. (2015) Assessing incidental vocabulary learning by Chinese EFL learners: a test of the Involvement Load Hypothesis. In: Assessing Chinese learners of English: language constructs, consequences and conundrums. Palgrave, London. (In Press)
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Xu, Z. (2015) Can classroom learners use statistical learning? A new perspective on motion event construal in a second language. Vigo International Journal of Applied Linguistics. ISSN 1697-0381 (In Press)
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Korybski, T. (2015) Using lexical diversity measures to operationalise language dominance in bilinguals. In: Silva-Corvalan, C. and Treffers-Daller, J. (eds.) Language dominance in bilinguals: issues of measurement and operationalization. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. (In Press)
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2015) The construct of language dominance, its operationalization and measurement. In: Silva-Corvalan, C. and Treffers-Daller, J. (eds.) Language Dominance in Bilinguals: Issues of Measurement and Operationalization. CUP, Cambridge. (In Press)
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Calude, A. (2015) The role of statistical learning in the acquisition of motion event construal in a second language. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism. ISSN 1367-0050 (In Press)
- Daller, M. H. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2014) Moving between languages: Turkish returnees from Germany. In: Menzel, B. and Engel, C. (eds.) Rückkehr in die Fremde? Ethnische Remigration russlanddeutscher Spätaussiedler. Ost-West-Express. Kultur und Übersetzung (21). Frank & Timme, Berlin, pp. 185-212. ISBN 9873865964663
- Rothman, J. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2014) A prolegomenon to the construct of the native speaker: heritage speaker bilinguals are natives too! Applied Linguistics, 35 (1). pp. 93-98. ISSN 1477-450X doi: 10.1093/applin/amt049
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2013) Measuring lexical diversity among L2 learners of French: an exploration of the validity of D, MTLD and HD-D as measures of language ability. In: Jarvis, S. and Daller, M. (eds.) Vocabulary knowledge: human ratings and automated measures. Benjamins, Amsterdam, pp. 79-104. ISBN 9789027241887
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Milton, J. (2013) Vocabulary size revisited: the link between vocabulary size and academic achievement. Applied Linguistics Review, 4 (1). pp. 151-172. ISSN 1868-6311 doi: 10.1515/applirev-2013-0007
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2012) Thinking for speaking and linguistic relativity among bilinguals: towards a new research agenda. Language, Interaction and Acquisition , 3 (2). ISSN 1879-7873 (In Press)
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Sakel, J., eds. (2012) New perspectives on transfer among bilinguals and L2 users. International Journal of Bilingualism, 16 (1). SAGE, London, pp174.
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2012) Grammatical collocations and verb-particle constructions in Brussels French: a corpus-linguistic approach to transfer. International Journal of Bilingualism, 16 (1). pp. 53-82. ISSN 1367-0069 doi: 10.1177/1367006911403213
- Larrañaga, P., Treffers-Daller, J., Tidball, F. and Gil Ortega, M.-c. (2012) L1 transfer in the acquisition of manner and path in Spanish by native speakers of English. International Journal of Bilingualism, 16 (1). pp. 117-138. ISSN 1756-6878 doi: 10.1177/1367006911405577
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Tidball, F. (2012) Can L2 learners learn new ways to conceptualise events? Evidence from motion event construal among English-speaking learners of French. In: Schmitz, K., Guijarro-Fuentes, P. and Müller, N. (eds.) The acquisition of French in its different constellations. Multilingual Matters, Bristol. (In Press)
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2011) Chercher pour or chercher après: arguing the case for contact-induced linguistic innovation in different varieties of French. In: Martineau, F. and Nadasdi, T. (eds.) Le francais en contact. Hommages a Raymond Mougeon. Universite de Laval, Canada, pp. 375-392. ISBN 9782763793177
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2011) Operationalising and measuring language dominance. International Journal of Bilingualism, 15 (2). pp. 147-163. ISSN 1756-6878 doi: 10.1177/1367006910381186
- Daller, M. H., Treffers-Daller, J. and Furman, R. (2011) Transfer of conceptualisation patterns in bilinguals: the construal of motion events in Turkish and German. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 14 (1). pp. 95-119. ISSN 1469-1841 doi: 10.1017/S1366728910000106
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2010) Borrowing. In: Fried, M., Östman, J.-O. and Verschueren, J. (eds.) Variation and change: pragmatic perspectives. Handbook of pragmatics highlights (6). John Benjamins, Amsterdam / Philadelphia, pp. 17-35. ISBN 9789027289179
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2009) Language dominance and lexical diversity: how bilinguals and L2 learners differ in their knowledge and use of French lexical and functional items. In: Richards, B., Daller, H. M., Malvern, D. D., Milton, J. and Treffers-Daller, J. (eds.) Vocabulary studies in first and second language acquisition. The interface between theory and application. Palgrave, Basingstoke, UK, pp. 74-90. ISBN 9780230206687
- Tidball, F. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2008) Analysing lexical richness in French learner language: what frequency lists and teacher judgements can tell us about basic and advanced words. Journal of French Language Studies, 18 (3). pp. 299-313. ISSN 0959-2695 doi: 10.1017/S0959269508003463 (Special issue: knowledge and use of the lexicon in French as a second language)
- Treffers-Daller, J., Daller, M. H., Malvern, D., Richards, B., Meara, P. and Milton, J., eds. (2008) Knowledge and use of the lexicon in French as a second language. Journal of French Language Studies, 18 (3). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp112. (Special issue 03)
- Milton, J., Daller, H., Malvern, D., Meara, P., Richards, B. and Treffers-Daller, J., eds. (2008) Vocabulary. Language Learning Journal (special issue), 36 (2). Routledge, pp. 135-265.
- Treffers-Daller, J., Ozsoy, A. S. and van Hout, R. (2007) (In)Complete acquisition of Turkish among Turkish German bilinguals in Germany and Turkey: an analysis of complex embeddings in narratives. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 10 (3). pp. 248-276. ISSN 1367-0050 doi: 10.2167/beb443.0
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2005) Brussels French une fois: Transfer-induced innovation or system-internal development? Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 8 (2). pp. 145-157. ISSN 1469-1841 doi: 10.1017/S1366728905002166
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2005) Evidence for insertional codemixing: mixed compounds and French nominal groups in Brussels Dutch. International Journal of Bilingualism, 9 (3-4). pp. 477-506. ISSN 1756-6878 doi: 10.1177/13670069050090030901
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Mougeon, R. (2005) The role of transfer in language variation and change: Evidence from contact varieties of French. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 8 (2). pp. 93-98. ISSN 1469-1841 doi: 10.1017/S1366728905002191
- Treffers-Daller, J. (1999) Borrowing and shift-induced interference: contrasting patterns in French-Germanic contact in Brussels and Strasbourg. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 2 (1). pp. 1-22. ISSN 1469-1841
- Treffers-Daller, J. (1991) Towards a uniform approach to code-switching and borrowing. In: ESF Network on Codeswitching and language contact, g. (ed.) Papers for the workshop on constraints, conditions and models. European Science Foundation, Strasbourg, pp. 259-279.
Treffers-Daller, J & Sakel, J. (2012). New perspectives on transfer among bilinguals and L2 users. Special issue of the International Journal of Bilingualism, 16 (1).
Daller, M. D. Malvern, J.L. Milton, B.J. Richards, J. Treffers-Daller (2011). Operationalising language dominance: what measures of lexical richness can tell us about bilingual ability. Special issue of the International Journal of Bilingualism, volume 15(2). Kingston Press. ISSN 1367-0069.
Richards, Brian, Michael H. Daller, David D.Malvern, James Milton and Jeanine Treffers-Daller (eds.) (2009). Vocabulary Studies in L1 and L2 acquisition: the interface between theory and application. Houndmills, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
Treffers-Daller. J, M. Daller, , D. Malvern, J.L. Milton, B.J. Richards (2008), Knowledge and use of the lexicon in French as a second language. Special issue of the Journal of French Language Studies (CUP). ISSN: 0959-2695.
Articles in refereed journals:
Treffers-Daller, J. (2012). Grammatical collocations and verb-particle constructions in Brussels French: a corpus-linguistic approach to transfer International Journal of Bilingualism, 16 (1). doi:10.1177/1367006911403213
Daller, M. H., Treffers-Daller, J. & Furman, R. (2011). Transfer of conceptualisation patterns in bilinguals: the construal of motion events in Turkish and German. Bilingualism, Language and Cognition, 14 (1), 95-119. doi: 10.1017/S1366728910000106
Treffers-Daller, J. (2011). Operationalizing and measuring language dominance. International Journal of Bilingualism, 15(2), 147-163. doi:10.1177/1367006910381186
Larrañaga, Pilar, Jeanine Treffers-Daller, Françoise Tidball and Maricarmen Gil Ortega (2011): L1-transfer in the acquisition of manner and path in Spanish by native speakers of English. International Journal of Bilingualism. doi: 10.1177/1367006911405577.
Recent conference organisation:
Exploratory Workshop on Thinking, Speaking and Gesturing in Two Languages (sponsored by the European Science Foundation). Institute of Education, University of Reading, 13-15 September 2012 (with Panos Athanasopoulos, University of Newcastle).
Workshop on Theory and Practice in Vocabulary Learning and Teaching (sponsored by the HE Academy). Institute of Education, University of Reading, 20th January 2012.
Annual Meeting of the British Association of Applied Linguistics. Theme: The Impact of Applied Linguistics. September 2011 at UWE Bristol (300 participants). With Jo Angouri (UWE Bristol).
Colloquium on Language dominance at the 8th International Symposium on Bilingualism, Oslo June 2011. With Carmen Silva-Corvalán (University of Southern California).
Organiser of the Annual Meeting of the British Association of Applied Linguistics. Theme: The Impact of Applied Linguistics. September 2011 at UWE Bristol (330 participants expected). With Jo Angouri.
Recent conference papers:
Measuring language dominance in Polish-English bilinguals with CLAN (with Tomasz Korybski). At the workshop on Innovative approaches to language testing, organised by the B AAL Testing, Evaluation and Assessment SIG research. University of Bedfordshire, 18 November 2011.
Context and meaning in motion event construal among L2 learners of French and English. I-mean conference, UWE Bristol, 14 April 2011.
Validating a measure of language dominance. Colloquium on the Validity of Vocabulary Measures. Convenors: Scott Jarvis (Ohio) and Michael Daller (UWE Bristol). AAAL, California, 26-29 March 2010.
Measuring language dominance. 8th International Symposium on Bilingualism. Oslo, 15-18 June 2011/.
Bedfordshire, 16 December 2011. Vocabulary size revisited (with J.Milton). Research seminar at the CRELLA Centre, University of Bedfordshire.
Sussex, 31 October 2011. Can L2 learners learn new ways to conceptualise motion?
Oxford, Institute of Education, 15 May 2011. Engaging with superdiversity: vocabulary development in bilingual children in the context of the Vocabuild project (with Geraldine Bates).
Bangor, 25 October 2010. 'A usage-based approach to motion event construal among L2 learners of French and English'. Research seminar at the ESRC Centre for Bilingualism in Theory and Practice.
Brussels, 15-17 October 2009, Plenary speaker at the Colloquium in honour of Roland Willemyns.
Since June 1999 I have been a member of the Editorial Board of Bilingualism: Language and Cognition (Cambridge University Press). ISSN: 1366-7289. In 2008 this membership was extended .
Since September 1999 I have been a member of the Editorial Board of Impact: Studies in Language and Society (book series of Benjamins). ISSN: 1385-7908 (29 volumes so far).
Enterprise activity; external roles and consultancy:
I co-ordinate the Vocabuild Project, which focuses on vocabulary knowledge and use of bilingual children. This project is an interdisciplinary initiative led by specialists of Linguistics, Primary Education and Speech and Language Therapy. The project focuses on vocabulary development of bilingual children, children with English as an additional language and children with Speech and Language Communication Needs.
Treffers-Daller, Jeanine and J. Sakel (2010) Wider perspectives and more options for English Language and Linguistics students. The development of employability and key skills and an overview of the destinations of graduates. A report for the Subject Centre of Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies (Higher Education Academy).
External roles and consultancy:
- Member of the Executive Board of the British Association of Applied Linguistics (since 2011).
- External examiner for a PhD viva voce in Linguistics (Amsterdam, 1999; Reading, 2001; Bristol, 2004; UCL, 2005; Cardiff, 2008; Bangor 2010; Nijmegen 2010; Swansea December 2010; Groningen 2011).
- External examiner for the MA in English Language at Sussex University (from 2010)
- Chair of the Linguistics Specialist Group, Subject Centre for Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies. HE Academy (from August 2009-October 2011)
- Associate member of the Glendon Centre for Research on Language Contact, University of Toronto (since 2005). See: http://www.glendon.yorku.ca/crlc/members.html#associate
- Associate Member of the ESRC centre for Bilingualism in Research and Practice, Bangor University.
- 2012. £9,830 from Pearson for a project entitled Automated Assessment of Lexical Diversity and N-Grams in essays of takers of the Pearson Test of English Academic. With Sarah Brewer, Pat Parslow, John Slaght and Shirley Williams (University of Reading).
- 2011. €14,000 from the European Science Foundation for an Exploratory Workshop on Thinking, Speaking and Gesturing in Two Languages, at the Institute of Education, University of Reading, 13-15 September 2012 (with Panos Athanasopoulos, University of Newcastle).
- 2011. £1000 for organising a workshop on the employability of Linguistics/English Language Students. 14th April 2011 at UWE Bristol.
- 2010: £3,500 from the Knowledge Transfer Fund of UWE Bristol for the Vocabuild project
- 2006. Travel grant (£500) for the conference of the American Association of Applied Linguistics (Montreal June 2006).
- 2005. ESRC research seminar grant of £15,321.14 for organising a series of seminars on Models and Measures of Vocabulary Acquisition, Knowledge and Use, together with colleagues from UWE (Daller), Reading (Malvern and Richards) and Swansea (Meara and Milton).
Dutch, English, French, German (all native-like) and Turkish (intermediate).