At Reading, we teach you the diversity of economics. It's your opportunity to explore the subject from a number of approaches and perspectives.
And because you don't just learn one particular model of economics, you gain a much more solid grounding. You'll apply what you learn to real-world issues, giving you the knowledge and skills you need to succeed in your future career.
We offer a wide range of economics degrees, meaning that you can specialise in a particular area of the field or combine it with another subject. You'll be encouraged to get involved in research during your degree and to engage with the latest developments through blogging and article writing.
OUR DEGREE COURSES
In addition to expanding your knowledge of economics, our courses will also develop your presentation skills, enhance your ability to analyse and think critically, and develop your written and verbal communication.
- BSc Economics (L100)
- BSc Economics with a Placement Year (L103)
- BA Economics (L101)
- BA Economics with a Placement Year (L102)
- BSc Business Economics (L113)
- BSc Business Economics with a Placement Year (L114)
- BSc Economics and Econometrics (L140)
- BSc Economics and Econometrics with a Placement Year (L141)
- BSc Economics and Finance (LN13)
- BSc Mathematics and Economics (GL11)
- BA Politics and Economics (LL12)
- BA Philosophy, Politics and Economics (LV12)
- BA International Relations and Economics (LL21)
- BSc Geography and Economics (Regional Science) (LL17)
- BA History and Economics (LV11)
- BA French and Economics (LR11)
- BA German and Economics (LR12)
- BA Italian and Economics (LR13)
- BA Spanish and Economics (RL10)
EXPERIENCE THE TRADING FLOOR
The BSc Economics and Finance provides the possibility of using the simulated trading room and financial data feeds at our on-campus International Capital Market Association Centre (ICMA). It's a great way for you to experience economics in practice within a true-to-life environment.
TUTORIALS THAT GIVE YOU SUPPORT WHEN YOU NEED IT
We offer tutorials across all of our courses so that you can get additional support should you need it. Whether you're wanting to sharpen your understanding of economic theory or develop your quantitative and mathematical skills, we can help.
"The staff at Reading are very enthusiastic about teaching which is shown by every lecturer having open office hours where you can pop in and see them about anything without having to make an appointment. The staff are also passionate about their research which they use in lectures to back up economic principles and demonstrate how the principles work in practice. There are also various opportunities for students to get involved with research the department is doing; I have spent the last 3 months working with senior staff as a research intern."
BA Economics graduate, and about to enter the Government Economic Service
GET INVOLVED IN RESEARCH
The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme (UROP) gives you the chance to work on real research projects alongside academic researchers at the University, contributing to the creation of knowledge.
Some recent examples of eight-week internship projects over the summer include:
- Green behaviour
- Gender and subject choice
- The Volkswagen scandal - which was at the University of Reading Undergraduate Research Showcase in November 2016.
Come to an Open Day
Get a real feel for university life, meet our staff and students, and explore our Department.