- Dr Ken Dark
- Job Title:
- Associate Professor
- Areas of Interest:
Archaeology and history of 1st millennium AD Europe (including Roman and immediately post-Roman Britain) and the Middle East; urban archaeology, landscape archaeology; pre-modern societies and economies; archaeology and history of religion (especially early Christianity); archaeological method and theory; interdisciplinary relationships between archaeological and historical research and studies of contemporary economics and international relations.
- Research groups / Centres:
- Research Centre for Late Antique and Byzantine Studies
- Centre for Institutional Performance
- Graduate Centre for Medieval Studies
- Centre for Hellenic Studies
YNumber of items: 28.
- Dark, K. and Özgümüş, F. (2013) Constantinople: archaeology of a Byzantine megapolis. Oxbow Books, Oxford, UK, Oxford, pp208. ISBN 9781782971719 (In Press)
- Dark, K. (2013) Archaeological evidence for a previously unrecognised Roman town near the Sea of Galilee. Palestine Exploration Quarterly, 145 (3). pp. 185-202. ISSN 1743-1301
- Dark, K. (2012) The Byzantine Church of the Nutrition in Nazareth rediscovered. Palestine Exploration Quarterly, 144 (3). pp. 164-184. ISSN 1743-1301 doi: 10.1179/0031032812Z.00000000013
- Dark, K. (2012) Early roman-period Nazareth and the sisters of Nazareth convent. Antiquaries Journal, 92. pp. 37-64. ISSN 0003-5815 doi: 10.1017/S0003581512001308
- Kostenec, J. and Dark, K. (2011) Paul the Silentiary’s description of Hagia Sophia in the light of new archaeological evidence. Byzantinoslavica, 70 (3). pp. 88-105. ISSN 0007-7712
- Westbrook, N., Dark, K. R. and Van Meeuwen , R. (2010) Constructing Melchior Lorichs's 'Panorama of Constantinople'. Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians, 69 (1). pp. 62-87. ISSN 0037-9808 doi: 10.1525/jsah.2010.69.1.62
- Dark, K. and Kostenec, J. (2010) The Hagia Sophia Project, Istanbul: report on the 2009 season. Bulletin of British Byzantine Studies, 36. pp. 40-49. ISSN 0265-1629
- Dark, K. R. (2010) Pottery production and use in Byzantine Constantinople. Byzantinoslavica - Revue Internationale des Études Byzantines, 68. pp. 115-128. ISSN 0007-7712
- Casson, M., Dark, K. and Gulamhussen, M. A. (2009) Extending internalisaton theory: from the multinational enterprise to the knowledge-based empire. International Business Review, 18 (3). pp. 236-256. ISSN 0969-5931 doi: 10.1016/j.ibusrev.2008.12.005
- Dark, K. and Kostenec, J. (2009) The Hagia Sophia Project, Istanbul, 2004-8. Bulletin of British Byzantine Studies, 35. pp. 56-68. ISSN 0265-1629
- Dark, K., (2009) Nazareth Archaeological Project: a preliminary report on the fifth season 2008. Project Report. Late Antiquity Research Group
- Dark, K. and Ribak, K. R. (2009) An unpublished excavation by Roland de Vaux at the Synagogue Church in Nazareth, Israel. Reading Medieval Studies, 35. pp. 93-100. ISSN 0950-3129
- Dark, K. R. (2008) The Roman period and Byzantine landscape between Sepphoris and Nazareth. Palestine Exploration Quarterly, 140 (2). pp. 87-102. ISSN 1743-1301 doi: 10.1179/003103208X312845
- Dark, K. and Harris, A.L. (2008) The Last Roman Forum: the Forum of Leo in Fifth-century Constantinople. Greek, Roman and Byzantine Studies, 48 (1). pp. 57-69. ISSN 0017-3916
- Dark, K., (2008) Nazareth Archaeological Project: a preliminary report on the fourth season 2007. Project Report. Late Antiquity Research Group
- Dark, K. (2008) Nazareth village farm: a reply to Salm. Strata: The Bulletin of the Anglo-Israel Archaeological Society, 26. pp. 109-111. ISSN 0266-2442.
- Dark, K. and Harris, A. L. (2008) The orphanage of Byzantine Constantinople: an archaeological identification. Byzantinoslavica - Revue Internationale des Études Byzantines, 66 (1-2). pp. 189-202. ISSN 0007-7712
- Dark, K., (2007) Archaeological recording at the Sisters of Nazareth Convent, Nazareth, 2006. Report. Late Antiquity Research Group, London. pp32. ISBN 0954687620 (interim report)
- Dark, K. (2007) Globalizing late antiquity: models, metaphors and the realities of long-distance trade and diplomacy. Reading Medieval Studies, 32. pp. 3-14. ISSN 0950-3129 (special issue 'Incipient globalization? Long-distance contacts in the 6th century')
- Dark, K. (2007) Roman architecture in the Great Palace of the Byzantine emperors at Constantinople during the sixth to ninth centuries. Byzantion, 77. ISSN 0378-2506
- Dark, K. (2006) Byzantine patriarchate in Constantinople and the baptistery of the Church of Hagia Sophia. Architectura, 36 (2). pp. 113-130. ISSN 0044-863X
- Dark, K. (2005) Archaeology. In: Harris, J. (ed.) Palgrave advances in Byzantine history. Palgrave advances. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, pp. 166-184. ISBN 9781403915030
- Dark, K. R. and Littlewood, A. (2005) New evidence for the Byzantine pavement of St. John Studios in Istanbul from an English parish church. Jahrbuch der Österreichischen Byzantinischen Gesellschaft, 55. pp. 121-128. ISSN 0075-2355
- Dark, K. (2005) The archaeological implications of fourth- and fifth-century descriptions of villas in the northwest provinces of the Roman Empire. Historia, 54 (3). pp. 331-342. ISSN 0118-2311
- Dark, K. R. (2005) The distribution and density of occupation in Byzantine Constantinople 1100-1453. In: Giles, K. and Dyer, C. (eds.) Town and country in the middle ages: contrasts, contacts and interconnections, 1100-1500. Society for medieval archaeology monographs (22). Maney, London, pp. 7-22. ISBN 9781905981397
- Dark, K. (2004) The late antique landscape of Britain. In: Christie, N. (ed.) Landscapes of change: rural evolutions in late antiquity and the early middle ages. Ashgate, London, pp. 279-299. ISBN 9781840146172
- Dark, K. and Ozgumus, F., (2003) Istanbul rescue archaeology survey. Project Report. The Society for the Promotion of Byzantine Studies, London. pp45.
- Dark, K. (2002) New evidence for the Byzantine Church of the Holy Apostles from Fatih Camii, Istanbul. Oxford Journal of Archaeology, 21 (4). pp. 393-413. ISSN 1468-0092 doi: 10.1111/1468-0092.00170
Further Publications not listed on Centaur
'Back to the 'Dark Ages'? Terminology and Preconception in the Archaeology of fifth- to seventh-century Celtic Britain' Journal of Celtic Studies 4, 193-200.
'The New Post Office site in Istanbul and the north-eastern harbour of Byzantine Constantinople' International Journal of Nautical Archaeology 33.2, 2004, 315-319.
K.Dark 'Houses, Streets and Shops in Byzantine Constantinople from the fifth to the twelfth centuries' Journal of Medieval History 30, 83-107.
K.Dark 'The eastern harbours of Early Byzantine Constantinople' Byzantion 5, 152-163
J.Kostenec and K.Dark 'Paul the Silentiary's description of Hagia Sophia in the light of new archaeological evidence' Byzantinoslavica - Revue internationale des Etudes Byzantines 3, 2011, 88-105
- BA, Archaeology, York; MA, PhD Archaeology, Cambridge
Holds honorary professorships at several European and North American universities; Chair of the Late Antiquity Research Group and Director of the Research Centre for Late Antique and Byzantine Studies; Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London; Fellow of the Royal Historical Society, and member of the Royal Institute for International Affairs and the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Christliche Archäoologie.