Staff Profile:Professor Derek Clements-Croome
- Professor Derek Clements-Croome
- Job Title:
- 18359 Sessional Lecturer
Part-time teaching and Eng Doc research projects; no administrative responsibilities.
Editor of Intelligent Buildings International Journal; Co-coordinator of CIB W098 Intelligent and Responsive Buildings; Chair CIBSE Intelligent Buildings Group; sit on various research and sustainability BCO Committees; member of UK Green Building Council; Chair of Feeling Good Foundation research group at Building Centre; visiting Professor at LSBU and Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Areas of Interest:
Design and management of intelligent buildings; environmental sensory design; creating productive workplaces.
Derek is an academic and consultant on the design and operation of intelligent buildings. Sustainability to meet environmental, social and economic criteria are key features involving productivity in the workplace, energy, water, waste and pollution issues.
Research interests include intelligent buildings; high value design and management processes: individual environmental control: alternative approaches to heating, ventilating, and airconditioning of buildings: environmental design for human needs: sustainability issues for the construction industry.
Has received many research grants awarded by EPSRC, Royal Academy of Engineering, Industry and EU. A Freelance Consultant in Environmental Design. Principal hobby is music (violin and viola playing, plus conducting).
Building Services Industry then academia.
- Research groups / Centres:
- Innovative and Sustainable Technologies (IST)
Technologies for Sustainable Built Environments (TSBE)
YNumber of items: 9.
- Clements-Croome, D. (2012) Sustainable built environment. In: Meyers, R. A. (ed.) Encyclopedia of sustainability science and technology. Springer. ISBN 9780387894690 (In Press)
- Clements-Croome, D. (2011) The interaction between the physical environment and people. In: Abdul-Wahab, S. A. (ed.) Sick Building Syndrome in Public Building and Workplaces. Springer, pp. 239-260. ISBN 9783642179181
- Volterra, C., Martin, A., Clements-Croome, D. and Sullivan, D., (2011) The challenges for the office sector over the next decade and beyond. Report. British Council for Offices, London. pp48.
- Clements-Croome, D. , Lu, X. and Viljanen, M. (2010) Integration of chaos theory and mathematical models in building simulation: Part II: Conceptual frameworks. Automation in Construction, 19 (4). pp. 452-457. ISSN 0926-5805 doi: 10.1016/j.autcon.2010.01.003
- Clements-Croome, D. (2010) Encyclopedia of sustainability science and technology. In: Meyers, R. A. (ed.) Encyclopedia of Sustainability Science and Technology. Springer-Verlag New York Inc, New York. ISBN 9780387894690 (In Press)
- Clements-Croome, D. (2010) Fenntartható intelligens épületek az embereknek (angol nyelvű). Magyar Epuletgepeszet, 59 (11). pp. 14-19. ISSN 1215-9913
- Clements-Croome, D. , Lu, X. and Viljanen, M. (2010) Integration of chaos theory and mathematical models in building simulation: Part I: Literature review. Automation in Construction, 19 (4). pp. 447-451. ISSN 0926-5805 doi: 10.1016/j.autcon.2010.01.002
- Al-Waer, H. and Clements-Croome, D.J. (2009) Key performance indicators (KPIs) and priority setting in using the multi-attribute approach for assessing sustainable intelligent buildings. Building and Environment, 45 (4). pp. 799-807. ISSN 0360-1323 doi: 10.1016/j.buildenv.2009.08.019
- Clements-Croome, D. J. (2007) A triz based value management process for selecting façade solutions. The Value Manager, 13 (2). pp. 3-8. ISSN 1029-0982
He is an editor and author of several books: including Intelligent Buildings, Design, Management & Operation (2004 and 2013) ICE Publishing (it was published in Chinese in March 2006): Intelligent Buildings: An Introduction (2013) Taylor & Francis: Electromagnetic Environment & Health in Buildings (2004) Spon; Creating the Productive Workplace (2000) (Second edition 2006) Spon; Naturally Ventilated Buildings Spon (1997); Airconditioning and Ventilation of Buildings, Pergamon Press, 1981 (Second Edition), also published in Chinese and Russian and Noise, Buildings and People, Pergamon Press, 1977.
He is editor-in-chief of the journal Intelligent Buildings International published by Taylor & Francis.
Published over 200 papers on various aspects of his research and education projects.
- BSc, MSc, PhDCEng, FCIBSE, FInstP, FICE, FRSA, FASHRAE, FIOA, Subscribing Member RIBA.
DSc honoris causa(University of Debrecen)
He represented the discipline on the Government Strategy Technology Board in Taiwan in 2007-9 and is also a Commissioner for the Ministry of Construction in Beijing; President of National Conference of University Professors 2007-9; Chairman and Founder of Intelligent Buildings Group CIBSE; also the Whole Life Performance Task Group for the CIBSE. Co-coordinator for the CIB Commission W098; Chairman of Federation of European Heating and Airconditioning Association (REHVA) Task Force 10,on Improving the Reliability and Value of Building Services; member of EPSRC College; Project Assessor for several international bodies including the EU; peer reviewer for several journals and sits on several editorial boards.
He sat on Council at CIBSE, also BSRIA and Executive Boards for British Council of Offices (BCO). He sits on Technical Affairs, Sustainabilty, and Research Groups for BCO.
Past Chairman and founder of the South East Centre of the Built Environment in Construction; Past Chairman and Member and of Executive Committee for European Intelligent Building Group (now Intelligent Building Group).
Derek holds visiting professorships at several universities in China: and Finland. Honorary President of Intelligent Buildings Congress at AEG Science and Technology University in Cracow since 2001. UK Ambassador and Chairman, at Clima 2000, 7th World Congress, Naples in September 2001.
Silver and Bronze Medallist of the CIBSE and the Institute of Hospital Engineering. Nominated and elected Fellow of the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Airconditioning Engineers in 1997. Nominated and elected Lifetime Member of the International Academy of Indoor Air Sciences in 2000. He is also a Fellow of the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers, Institution of Civil Engineers, Institute of Physics and Royal Society of Arts.