- +44 (0) 118 378 8520
Professor Margot Gosney
Director of Clinical Health Sciences
1st Year Physician Associates
FB3NHD & FBMNH 1 & 2 Food & Nutritional Sciences Students
MSc & BSc Students
University of Reading, Research and Ethics Committee
University of Reading, Research and Ethics Committee - Professor Margot Gosney is currently the Chair of the Research and Ethics Committee, at the University of Reading.
Clinical Role - Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust
Honorary Consultant in Elderly Care Medicine. Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust: August 2003 - to date.
Deputy Chair of the Academic & Research Committee of the British Geriatrics Society.
Areas of Interest
Whilst working as a registrar in chest medicine I developed an interest in bronchial carcinoma. This resulted in two presentations in the late 1980s to the British Geriatrics Society looking at the different presentation and pathology of bronchial carcinoma as well as the progress and survival of patients according to age. I wished to further my knowledge about the fundamental biology and behaviour of bronchial carcinoma with reference to age and I therefore approached the Northwest Cancer Research Fund to obtain sufficient funding to undertake my MD. My MD was awarded in 1993 and several publications and presentations arose which were accepted in a range of disciplines including respiratory medicine, pathology and geriatric medicine. In 1998 I was approached by Professor Ray Tallis to write the first chapter on geriatric oncology in the Textbook of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology - one of the primary textbooks used by both undergraduates and postgraduates in geriatric medicine. I have subsequently written this chapter for the 6th and 7th editions of the textbook as well as other chapters on cancer drugs, cancer in old age for a training guide and two clinical pain management chapters pertinent to malignant disease. I have continued to be involved in a variety of oncology projects and I am on the Steering Group of ACTION, a trial studying adjuvant chemotherapy in older women with breast cancer. I am also an advisor to NICE and sit on a variety of groups representing the needs of older people with malignant disease.
A project that started merely to look at nursing staff knowledge around oral care and the dental status of elderly inpatients developed into a close association with Dental Science. I became aware that dentition was particularly important in the day-to-day care of older people and that it was an area that had been poorly researched. I commenced work with an oral microbiologist within the School of Dental Science to look primarily at how various conditions affected the oral flora. Initial studies showed that the oral flora of patients following a stroke altered and they became colonised with aerobic Gram-negative bacilli (AGNB). The relevance of this is that many patients following a stroke have impaired swallowing and whilst clinicians caring for these patients may identify this problem, saliva production continues and if AGNB are present in the oral cavity they may be aspirated into the lungs when the patient attempts to swallow their own saliva. Oral selective decontamination (SDD) is widely used in the Intensive Care Unit and in patients during and after treatment of malignant disease. Its use had however, never been investigated in acute stroke patients.
This project linked with other areas of stroke research including the detection of microaspiration in patients following a stroke. One of my MPhil students (Jo Clayton), a speech and language therapist, looked at the detection of microaspiration into the respiratory tract using a tracheal pH probe.
To further study this area of research an ESRC project through the New Dynamics of Ageing was funded in 2008 and includes a work package looking at rheology to ensure that the physical properties of a variety of liquids and solids used in patients with dysphagia can be quantified.
The Health Technology Assessment (HTA), a Government-funded research and development unit, put out a call in 1998 looking for interest in influenza vaccination of older subjects. I headed a group that were awarded almost £¼m. Our study was dogged by Government change of policy between years 1 and 2 that effectively removed the placebo arm of our study.
Whilst our findings suggested that the vaccination of fit, healthy 65-75 year olds is not cost effective we were struck by the data suggesting that frail elderly subjects who undergo vaccination against influenza may not respond with the production of adequate levels of antibodies. Further funding enabled us to study a role of micronutrients in optimising response to influenza vaccination.
This work was undertaking in parallel with a study of looking at the effect of antioxidants supplementations on the ability of cells from elderly people to respond to stress.
A variety of researchers have done postgraduate higher degrees looking at pressure sore prevention, the role of micronutrients, in particular selenium in the prevention of depression and faecal incontinence in the older adult.
On initially arriving in Reading I set up strong links with the School of Food Biosciences. This has enabled us to successfully apply and successfully be funded by the ESRC and a variety of other agencies. Our work has focused particularly on the manipulation of sweet sip feeds and savoury hospital foods. It has brought together researchers from the Universities of Newcastle and Glasgow and diverse interests from the Dental School through to the School of Design. Researchers range from rheologists to sociologists with clinicians and speech and language therapists. The overall aim is to improve the nutritional status particularly of older people and those with swallowing difficulties in both the hospital and community setting.
This has enabled us to also work with businesses and recent funding has been secured from Nestle for a variety of innovative projects. To ensure application of research methodologies we are working closely with the world renowned chef Heston Blumenthal to ensure that all research is translational into a variety of health settings.
Research groups / Centres
- Moynihan P, Macdonald A, Methven L, Gosney M et al. 'Multidisciplinary approach to develop a prototype for the prevention of malnutrition in older people: products, people, places and procedures' (MAPPMAL). ESRC, 2008: £1,081,411.85
- Vulevic J, Gibson G, Gosney M. 'A double blind, placebo controlled, randomised, single centred, parallel group study to determine the potential of a prebiotic to beneficially influence the colonic microflora and immune status of hospitalised elderly patients'. Clasado, 2008: £100,000
- Gosney M, Methven L. 'Yummy Project' Optimising elderly people's nutrition. Nestle, 2009: £440,000
- Yaqoob P, Rowland I, Tuohy K, Gosney M, Todd S. 'Immunomodulatory effects of pre- and probiotics'. DRINC (BBSRC), 2009: £723,886
- Gosney, M. A. (2017) The older person in hospital: do not lose the teddy bear. Medical and Clinical Archives, 1 (3). ISSN 2515-1053 doi: https://doi.org/10.15761/MCA.1000118
- Gosney, M. A. (2017) Right extended hemicolectomy, falls and low B12. Medical and Clinical Archives, 1 (3). ISSN 2515-1053 doi: https://doi.org/10.15761/MCA.1000115
- Enani, S., Przemska-Kosicka, A., Childs, C. E., Maidens, C., Dong, H., Conterno, L., Tuohy, K. M., Todd, S., Gosney, M. and Yaqoob, P. (2017) Impact of ageing and a synbiotic on the immune response to seasonal influenza vaccination; a randomised controlled trial. Clinical Nutrition. ISSN 0261-5614 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2017.01.011 (In Press)
- Przemska-Kosicka, A., Childs, C. E., Enani, S., Maidens, C., Dong, H., Dayel, I. B., Tuohy, K., Todd, S., Gosney, M. A. and Yaqoob, P. (2016) Effect of a symbiotic on the response to seasonal influenza vaccination is strongly influenced by degree of immunosenescence. Immunity & Aging, 13 (1). 6. ISSN 1742-4933 doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12979-016-0061-4
- Dermiki, M., Prescott, J., Sargent, L. J., Willway, J., Gosney, M. A. and Methven, L. (2015) Novel flavours paired with glutamate condition increased intake in older adults in the absence of changes in liking. Appetite, 90. pp. 108-113. ISSN 0195-6663 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2015.03.002
- Tsikritzi, R., Wang, J., Collins, V. J., Allen, V. J., Mavrommatis, Y., Moynihan, P. J., Gosney, M. A., Kennedy, O. B. and Methven, L. (2015) The effect of nutrient fortification of sauces on product stability, sensory properties and subsequent liking by older adults. Journal of Food Science, 80 (5). S1100-S1110. ISSN 0022-1147 doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.12850
- Senaratne, D. N. S. and Gosney, M. (2015) Do not attempt cardiopulmonary resuscitation: do doctors respond to national changes? Resuscitation, 87. e9. ISSN 300-9572 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2014.11.018
- Senaratne, D. and Gosney, M. (2014) Search engines and evidence-based medicine. Clinical Medicine, 14 (5). p. 560. ISSN 1473-4893 doi: https://doi.org/10.7861/clinmedicine.14-5-560
- Allen, V. J., Withers, C. A., Hough, G., Gosney, M. A. and Methven, L. (2014) A new rapid detection threshold method for use with older adults: reducing fatigue whilst maintaining accuracy. Food Quality and Preference, 36. pp. 104-110. ISSN 0950-3293 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2014.03.007
- Withers, C., Methven, L., Qannari, E. M., Allen, V. J., Gosney, M. A. and MacFie, H. J. H. (2014) Taxonomic free sorting: a successful method with older consumers and a novel approach to preference mapping. Journal of Sensory Studies, 29 (3). pp. 182-189. ISSN 1745-459X doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/joss.12093
- Withers, C. A., Lewis, M. J., Gosney, M. A. and Methven, L. (2014) Potential sources of mouth drying in beverages fortified with dairy proteins: a comparison of casein and whey-rich ingredients. Journal of Dairy Science, 97 (3). pp. 1233-1247. ISSN 0022-0302 doi: https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2013-7273
- Tsikritzi, R., Moynihan, P. J., Gosney, M. A., Allen, V. J. and Methven, L. (2014) The effect of macro and micro-nutrient fortification of biscuits on their sensory properties and on hedonic liking of older people. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 94 (10). pp. 2040-2048. ISSN 0022-5142 doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.6522
- Ramdoo, K., Bowen, J., Dale, O. T., Corbridge, R., Chatterjee, A. and Gosney, M. A. (2014) Opportunistic assessment of hearing in elderly inpatients. Sage Open Medicine, 2. ISSN 2158-2440 doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/2050312114528171
- Allen, V. A., Methven, L. and Gosney, M. (2013) Use of nutritional complete supplements in older adults with dementia: systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical outcomes. Clinical Nutrition, 32 (6). pp. 950-957. ISSN 0261-5614 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2013.03.015
- Dermiki, M., Mounayar, R., Suwankanit, C., Scott, J., Kennedy, O., Mottram, D., Gosney, M., Blumenthal, H. and Methven, L. (2013) Maximising umami taste in meat using natural ingredients: effects on chemistry, sensory perception and hedonic liking in young and old consumers. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 93 (13). pp. 3312-3321. ISSN 0022-5142 doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.6177
- Withers, C. A., Cook, M. T., Methven, L., Gosney, M. A. and Khutoryanskiy, V. V. (2013) Investigation of milk proteins binding to the oral mucosa. Food & Function, 4 (11). pp. 1668-1674. ISSN 2042-650X doi: https://doi.org/10.1039/c3fo60291e
- Allen, V., Methven, L. and Gosney, M. (2013) The influence of nutritional supplement drinks on providing adequate calorie and protein intake in older adults with dementia. The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging, 17 (9). pp. 752-755. ISSN 1760-4788 doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-013-0364-5
- Withers, C., Gosney, M. and Methven, L. (2013) Perception of thickness, mouth-coating and mouth-drying of dairy beverages by younger and older volunteer. Journal of Sensory Studies, 28 (3). pp. 230-237. ISSN 1745-459X doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/joss.12039
- Allen, V. A., Methven, L. and Gosney, M. (2013) Impact of serving method on the consumption of nutritional supplement drinks: randomised trial in older adults with cognitive impairment. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 70 (3). pp. 1323-1333. ISSN 1365-2648 doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.12293
- Gosney, M. (2013) Comprehensive geriatric assessment. In: Papamichael , D. and Audisio, R. (eds.) Management of Colorectal Cancer in Older People. Springer, pp. 39-52. ISBN 9780857299840
- Solomons, L., Solomons, J. and Gosney, M. (2013) Dementia and cancer: a review of the literature and current practice. Aging Health, 9 (3). pp. 307-319. ISSN 1745-509X doi: https://doi.org/10.2217/ahe.13.27
- Dermiki, M., Willway, J., Sargent, L., Kidman, J., Anderson, C., Kennedy, O. B., Gosney, M. A. and Methven, L. (2013) Preference and consumption of a taste enhanced meat meal by older hospital patients: a pilot study. Nutrition and Aging, 2 (1). pp. 69-75. ISSN 1879-7725 doi: https://doi.org/10.3233/NUA-130028
- Methven, L., Allen, V. J., Withers, C. A. and Gosney, M. A. (2012) Ageing and taste. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 71 (4). pp. 556-565. ISSN 1475-2719 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665112000742
- Bellizzi, K. and Gosney, M. A., eds. (2012) Cancer and aging handbook: research and practice. Wiley-Blackwell, pp528. ISBN 9780470874424
- Biganzoli, L., Wildiers, H., Oakman, C., Marotti, L., Loibl, S., Kunkler, I., Reed, M., Ciatto, S., Voogd, A. C., Brain, E., Cutuli, B., Terret, C., Gosney, M., Aapro, M. and Audisio, R. (2012) Management of elderly patients with breast cancer: updated recommendations of the International Society of Geriatric Oncology (SIOG) and European Society of Breast Cancer Specialists (EUSOMA). lancet oncology, 13 (4). e148-e160. ISSN 1474-5488 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70383-7
- Payne, C., Methven, L., Fairfield, C., Gosney, M. and Bell, A. E. (2012) Variability of starch-based thickened drinks for patients with dysphagia in the hospital setting. Journal of Texture Studies, 43 (2). pp. 95-105. ISSN 0022-4901 doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4603.2011.00319.x
- Montagu, A., Speirs, A., Baldock, J., Corbett, J. and Gosney, M. (2012) A review of vertebroplasty for osteoporotic and malignant vertebral compression fractures. Age and Ageing, 41 (4). pp. 450-455. ISSN 0002-0729 doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afs024
- Gosney, M. (2012) Elder abuse. In: Gosney, M., Harper, A. and Conroy, S. (eds.) Oxford Desk Reference: Geriatric Medicine. Oxford University Press, pp. 540-543. ISBN 9780199592340
- Nyman, S. R., Dibb, B., Victor, C. R. and Gosney, M. (2012) Emotional well-being and adjustment to vision loss in later life: a meta-synthesis of qualitative studies. Disability and Rehabilitation, 34 (12). pp. 971-981. ISSN 0963-8288 doi: https://doi.org/10.3109/09638288.2011.626487
- Gosney, M. A., Harper, A. and Conroy, S., eds. (2012) Oxford desk reference: geriatric medicine. Oxford Desk Reference Series . Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp624. ISBN 9780199592340
- Gosney, M. (2012) Presentation of cancer in old age. In: Gosney, M., Harper, A. and Conroy, S. (eds.) Oxford Desk Reference: Geriatric Medicine. Oxford University Press, pp. 530-531. ISBN 9780199592340
- Gosney, M. (2012) Urinary tract infections. In: Gosney, M., Harper, A. and Conroy, S. (eds.) Oxford Desk Reference: Geriatric Medicine. Oxford University Press, pp. 210-212. ISBN 9780199592340
- Wood, D., Heng, C. and Gosney, M. (2012) The scanner: what lies beneath. CME Geriatric Medicine, 14 (1). pp. 31-32. ISSN 1475-1453
- Leonard, R., Ballinger, R., Cameron, D., Ellis, P., Fallowfield, L., Gosney, M., Johnson, L., Kilburn, L. S., Makris, A., Mansi, J., Reed, M., Ring, A., Robinson, A., Simmonds, P., Thomas, G. and Bliss, J. M. (2011) Adjuvant chemotherapy in older women (ACTION) study - what did we learn from the pilot phase? British Journal of Cancer, 105 (9). pp. 1260-1266. ISSN 0007-0920 doi: https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2011.377
- Taylor, A. and Gosney, M. A. (2011) Sexuality in older age: essential considerations for healthcare professionals. Age and ageing, 40 (5). pp. 538-543. ISSN 1468-2834 doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afr049
- Gosney, M. A. (2011) Response to: Are we teaching our students what they need to know about ageing? Results from the UK National Survey of Undergraduate Teaching in Ageing and Geriatric Medicine. Age and ageing, 40 (1). p. 139. ISSN 1468-2834 doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afq143
- Bowen, J. and Gosney, M. A. (2011) Breast cancer in older people. GM Midlife and Beyond, 41 (12). pp. 643-648.
- Gosney, M. (2011) Good practice in the law and safeguarding adults. Age and Ageing, 40 (6). pp. 763-764. ISSN 0002-0729
- Mavrommatis, I., Moynihan, P. J., Gosney, M. A. and Methven, L. (2011) Hospital catering systems and their impact on the sensorial profile of foods provided to older patients in the UK. Appetite, 57 (1). pp. 14-20. ISSN 0195-6663 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2011.03.010
- Methven, L., Rahelu, K., Economoua, N., Kinneavya, L., Ladbrooke-Davis, L., Kennedy, O., Mottram, D. S. and Gosney, M. (2010) The effect of consumption volume on profile and liking of oral nutritional supplements of varied sweetness: sequential profiling and boredom tests. Food Quality and Preference, 21 (8). pp. 948-955. ISSN 0950-3293 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2010.04.009
- Kennedy, O., Law, C., Methven, L., Mottram, D. and Gosney, M. (2010) Investigating age related changes in taste and affects on sensory perceptions of oral nutritional supplements. Age and Ageing, 39 (6). pp. 733-738. ISSN 0002-0729 doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afq104
- Nyman, S. R., Gosney, M. A. and Victor, C. R. (2010) Psychosocial impact of visual impairment in working-age adults. British Journal of Ophthalmology, 94 (11). pp. 1427-1431. ISSN 0007-1161 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bjo.2009.164814
- Gosney, J., Chester, J. and Gosney, M. (2010) Current approaches to the management of pneumonia. Prescriber, 21 (6). pp. 47-52. ISSN 0959-6682 doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/psb.604
- Nyman, S. R., Gosney, M. A. and Victor, C. R. (2010) Counselling for people with sight loss in the UK: the need for provision and the need for evidence. British Journal of Ophthalmology, 94 (3). pp. 385-386. ISSN 0007-1161 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bjo.2009.159855
- Gosney, M. A. (2010) Comprehensive geriatric assessment. In: Reed, M. W. and Audisio, R. A. (eds.) Management of breast cancer in older women. Springer, pp. 53-63. ISBN 978848002647
- Leonard, R. C., Barrett-Lee, P. J., Gosney, M. A., Willett, A. M., Reed, M. W. and Hammond, P. J. (2010) Effect of patient age on management decisions in breast cancer: consensus from a national consultation. The Oncologist, 15 (7). pp. 657-664. ISSN 1549-490X doi: https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2009-0284
- Nyman, S. R., Gosney, M. and Victor, C. R. (2010) Emotional well-being in people with sight loss : lessons from the grey literature. British Journal of Visual Impairment, 28 (3). pp. 175-203. ISSN 0264-6196 doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/0264619610374171
- Gosney, M. (2010) Frailty in the elderly. In: Schrijvers, D., Aapro, M., Zakotnik, B., Audisio, R., Van Halteren, H. and Hurria, A. (eds.) ESMO Handbook of Cancer in the Senior Patient. Informa Healthcare, pp. 22-28. ISBN 9781841847092
- Methven, L., Bushell, M. C., Gray, L., Gosney, M. A., Kennedy, O. B. and Mottram, D. S. (2010) Improving the palatability of oral nutritional supplements for elderly people aiming to increase intake. In: Blank, I., Wüst, M. and Yeretzian, C. (eds.) Expression of multidisciplinary flavour science: proceedings of the 12th Weurman Symposium, Interlaken, Switzerland, 2008. Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften, Wädenswil, Switzerland, pp. 84-87. ISBN 9783905745191
- Burbridge, P. M. and Gosney, M. A. (2010) The scanner: a painful hip. CME Geriatric Medicine, 12 (2). pp. 106-107. ISSN 1475-1453
- Gosney, M. (2009) Geriatric oncology. Age and ageing, 38 (6). pp. 644-645. ISSN 1468-2834 doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afp182
- Quarini, C. and Gosney, M. (2009) Review of the evidence for a colorectal cancer screening programme in elderly people. Age and ageing, 38 (5). pp. 503-508. ISSN 1468-2834 doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afp103
- Gosney, M.A. and Harris, T., eds. (2009) Managing older people in primary care. A practical guide. Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp400. ISBN 9780199546589
- Gosney, M. (2009) Vulnerable adults. In: Gosney, M. and Harris, T. (eds.) Managing Older People in Primary Care. Oxfiord University Press, pp. 317-322. ISBN 9780199546589
- Gosney, M. (2009) General care of the older cancer patient. Clinical oncology (Royal College of Radiologists (Great Britain)), 21 (2). pp. 86-91. ISSN 0936-6555 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clon.2008.11.005
- Papamichael, D., Audisio, R., Horiot, J.-C., Glimelius, B., Sastre, J., Mitry, E., Van Cutsem, E., Gosney, M., Köhne, C.-H. and Aapro, M. (2009) Treatment of the elderly colorectal cancer patient: SIOG expert recommendations. Annals of oncology, 20 (1). pp. 5-16. ISSN 1569-8041 doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdn532
- Methven, L., Kennedy, O.B. , Mottram, D.S. , Grimble, G.K. , Bushell, M. , Gray, L. and Gosney, M. A. (2009) Can changing the serving temperature improve the palatability of oral nutritional supplements in older consumers? Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 68 (OCE1). E37. ISSN 0029-6651 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665109001785
- Gosney, M. A. (2009) Geriatric oncology. In: Fillit, H. M., Rockwood, K. and Woodhouse, K. (eds.) Brocklehurst's textbook of geriatric medicine and gerontology 7th ed. Elsevier, pp. 791-800. ISBN 9781416062318
- Gosney, M. A. (2009) Optimising cancer care for older patients. GM Midlife and Beyond, 39 (4). pp. 202-207.
- Methven, L., Kennedy, O.B., Mottram, D.S., Grimble, G.K., Bushell, M., Gray, L. and Gosney, M. A. (2009) The effect of saccharide type on sweet perception and preference of oral nutritional supplements by elderly individuals. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 68 (OCE1). E55. ISSN 0029-6651 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665109001967
- Gosney, M. (2008) Enterobacter sakazakii bacteraemia with multiple splenic abscesses in a 75-year-old woman: a case report. Age and ageing, 37 (2). pp. 236-237. ISSN 1468-2834 doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afn006
- Gosney, M. A., Hammond, M. F., Shenkin, A. and Allsup, S. (2008) Effect of micronutrient supplementation on mood in nursing home residents. Gerontology, 54 (5). pp. 292-299. ISSN 0304-324X doi: https://doi.org/10.1159/000131886
- Gosney, M. (2008) Update on clinical geriatrics. Aging Health, 4 (1). pp. 29-31. ISSN 1745-509X
- Gosney, M. (2007) Contribution of the geriatrician to the management of cancer in older patients. European Journal of Cancer, 43 (15). pp. 2153-2160. ISSN 0959-8278 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2007.07.032
- Gosney, M. and Wellman, A. (2007) Complications of cancer treatment in an older population. Geriatric Medicine, 37 (11). 04-07. ISSN 0268-201X
- Gosney, M. (2007) Diagnosis of UTI amongst elderly patients in hospital. Age and Ageing, 36 (3). pp. 352-353. ISSN 0002-0729
- Akpan, A., Gosney, M. A. and Barrett, J. (2007) Factors contributing to fecal incontinence in older people and outcome of routine management in home, hospital and nursing home settings. Clinical Interventions in Aging, 2 (1). pp. 139-145. ISSN 1176-9092
- Oliver, D., Connelly, J. B., Victor, C. R., Shaw, F. E., Whitehead, A., Genc, Y., Vanoli, A., Martin, F. C. and Gosney, M. A. (2007) Strategies to prevent falls and fractures in hospitals and care homes and effect of cognitive impairment: systematic review and meta-analyses. BMJ, 334 (7584). p. 82. ISSN 0959-8138 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.39049.706493.55
- Preston, A. J., Kearnes, A., Barber, M. W. and Gosney, M. A. (2006) The knowledge of healthcare professionals regarding elderly persons' oral care. British Dental Journal, 201. pp. 293-295. ISSN 0007-0610 doi: https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4813973
- Gosney, M., Martin, M. V., Wright, A. E. and Gallagher, M. (2006) Enterobacter sakazakii in the mouths of stroke patients and its association with aspiration pneumonia. European Journal of Internal Medicine, 17. pp. 185-188. ISSN 0953-6205
- Gosney, M. (2006) Letter to the Editor. The role of selective decontamination. Age and Ageing, 35 (5). p. 544. ISSN 0002-0729
- Balami, J., Packham , S. and Gosney, M. (2006) Non-invasive ventilation (NIV) for respiratory failure due to acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in older patients. Age and Ageing, 35. pp. 75-79. ISSN 0002-0729
- Akpan, A., Gosney, M. and Barrett , J. (2006) Privacy, defecation and faecal incontinence in older adults. Journal of Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing, 33 (5). pp. 536-540.
- Clayton, J., Jack, C. I. A., Ryall, C., Tran, J., Hilal, E. and Gosney, M. (2006) Tracheal pH monitoring and aspiration in acute stroke. Age and Ageing, 35. pp. 47-53. ISSN 0002-0729
- Gosney, M. (2006) The role of selective decontamination of the digestive tract (SDD) in acute stroke. Age and ageing, 35. pp. 42-47. ISSN 1468-2834
- Gosney, M. A. (2005) Acute confusional states and dementia's: peri-operative considerations. Current Anaesthesia & Critical Care, 16 (1). pp. 34-39. ISSN 0953-7112 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cacc.2005.01.004
- Gosney, M. (2005) Clinical assessment of elderly people with cancer. lancet oncology, 6 (10). pp. 790-797. ISSN 1474-5488
- Allsup, S., Gosney, M. A., Haycox, A. and Regan, M. (2005) Cost-benefit evaluation of routine influenza immunisation in people 65-74 years of age. Health Technology Assessment, 7 (20). pp. 1-65. ISSN 1366-5278
- Gosney, M. (2005) Pressure ulceration. The Practitioner, 249. pp. 334-340.
- Wedge, C. and Gosney, M. (2005) Pressure-relieving equipment: promoting its correct use amongst nurses via differing modes of educational delivery. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 14 (4). pp. 473-478. ISSN 0962-1067 doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2004.01082.x
- Gosney, M. (2005) Stroke patients and aspiration pneumonia. Perspectives on swallowing and swallowing disorders. Dysphagia, 14. pp. 16-20. ISSN 0179-051X
- Gosney, M. A. (2005) Under-investigation of older people with abnormal chest radiographs. Gerontology, 51 (1). pp. 1-6. ISSN 0304-324X doi: https://doi.org/10.1159/000081427
- Allsup, S.J., Shenkin, A., Gosney, M. A., Taylor, S., Hammond, M. and Zambon, M. C. (2004) Can a short period of micronutrient supplementation in older institutionalized people improve response to influenza vaccine? A randomized, controlled trial. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 52 (1). pp. 20-24. ISSN 0002-8614
- Allsup, S., Haycox, A., Regan, M. and Gosney, M. (2004) Is influenza vaccination cost effective for healthy people between ages 65 and 74 years? A randomised controlled trial. Vaccine, 23 (5). pp. 639-645. ISSN 0264-410X doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2004.07.008
- Gosney, M. A., Punekar, S., Playfer, J.R., Bilsborrow, P.K. and Martin, M.V. (2004) The incidence of oral Gram-negative bacteria in patients with Parkinson's disease. European Journal of Internal Medicine, 14 (8). pp. 484-487. ISSN 0953-6205 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2003.09.009
- Milins, B. , Gosney, M., Jack, C. I. A., Martin, M. V. and Wright, A. E. (2003) Acute stroke predisposes to oral gram-negative bacilli - a cause of aspiration pneumonia? Gerontology, 49 (3). pp. 173-176. ISSN 0304-324X doi: https://doi.org/10.1159/000069171
- Gosney, M. A. (2003) Are we wasting our money on food supplements in elder care wards? Journal of Advanced Nursing, 43 (3). pp. 275-280. ISSN 0309-2402
Recently submitted papers:
Gosney MA. Update on clinical geriatrics. Aging Health 2008; 4(1) 29-31
Gosney MA. Enterobacter sakazakii bacteraemia. Age and Ageing 2008; 37:236-7
Gosney MA, Hammond MF, Sherkin A, Allsup S. Effect of micronutrient supplementation on mood in nursing home residents. Gerontology 2008; 54(5):292-9
Gosney MA. General Care of the Older Cancer Patient. Clinical Oncology 2008; 21(2):86-91
Papamichael D, Audisio R, Horiot JC, Glimelius B, Gosney M et al. Treatment of the elderly colorectal cancer patient: SIOG expert recommendations. Annals of Oncology 2009; 20(1):5-16
Gosney M. Optimising cancer care for older patients. GM Midlife and Beyond; Vol 39(4); 2009:202-07
Quarini C, Gosney M. Review of the evidence for a colorectal cancer screening programme in elderly people. Age and Ageing 2009; 38(5):503-8
Gosney MA. Geriatric Oncology. Age and Ageing 2009; 38:644-645
Nyman SR, Gosney MA, Victor CR. Psychosocial Impact of Visual impairment in Working Age Adults. Br J Ophthalmol published online October 22, 2009 doi:10.1136/bjo.2009.164814
Nyman SR, Victor CR, Gosney MA. Counselling for people with sight loss in the UK: The need for provision and the need for evidence. Br J Opthalmol 2010; 94:385-386
Gosney J, Chester J, Gosney M. Current approaches to the diagnosis and management of pneumonia in older people. Prescriber 2010 March; 47:52
Nyman SR, Gosney MA, Victor CR. Emotional well-being in people with sight loss: Lessons from the grey literature. British Journal of Visual Impairment In press 2010
Kennedy OB, Law CKW, Methven L, Gosney MA. Investigating age related changes in taste and affects on sensory perceptions of oral nutritional supplements. Age and Ageing In press 2010
Methven L, Rahelu K, Economou N, Kinneavy L, Ladbrooke-Davis L, Kennedy OB, Mottram DS, Gosney MA. The Effect of Consumption Volume on Profile and Liking of Oral Nutritional Supplements of Caried Sweetness: Sequential Profiling and Boredom Tests. Food Quality & Preference In press 2010
Gange N, Gosney M. Oral Care in Stroke. Submitted to Age and Ageing 2009
Ito E, Cheun WK, Opsypiw J, Methven L, Kennedy OB, Gosney M. The Assessment of Pre-albumin as an Effective Screening Tool in Malnutrition. Submitted to Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2009
Leonard R, Barrett-Lee P, Gosney M, Willett A, Reed M, Hammond P. Effect of patient age on management decisions in breast cancer: consensus from a national consultation. Submitted to The Oncologist 2009
Nyman SR, Gosney MA, Victor C. Psychosocial Impact of Vision Loss: An Update of the Evidence. Submitted to Ageing & Society 2009
Robinson L, Johnson, Ellis, Mansi, Ring, Thomas, Gosney et al. Failure of a Randomised Trial of Chemotherapy versus observation in older women with breast cancer. Submitted to Lancet 2009
Nyman SR, Gosney MA, Victor CR. Qualitative exploration of emotional well-being and views toward support services amongst adults with visual impairment. Submitted to Disability and Rehabilitation 2009
Nyman SR, Gosney MA, Victor CR. Literature review of qualitative studies. To be submitted to British Journal of Health Psychology 2009
Mansour S, Gosney M. Attitudes Towards Elderly People: The Effect of Medical Education. Submitted to Age and Ageing 2010
Nyman SR, Dibb B, Victor CR, Gosney MA. Emotional well-being and adjustment to vision loss: A meta-synthesis of qualitative studies. Submitted to British Journal of Health Psychology 2010
Burbridge PM, Gosney MA. A Painful Hip. Submitted to CME Journal Geriatric Medicine 2010
Behrman S, Gosney MA. Lunchtime on the Elderly Care Wards. Submitted to Age and Ageing 2010