Staff Profile:Dr Adam Squires
- Position / Job Title:
- Areas of Interest:
- Research groups / Centres:
- Lecturer in Physical Chemistry
- Director of Postgraduate Studies
Our research interests primarily focus on biomaterials and biomolecular assemblies, including lamellar and non-lamellar lipid bilayer structures, amyloid protein and peptide fibrils, and elastic protein networks. We are interested in developing methods to control, align and investigate these systems without their needing to be dehydrated or crystallised. Molecular alignment gives us a wealth of additional structural information on the biomolecules, using x-ray scattering and polarized vibrational spectroscopy (IR and Raman).
In addition, the group has an interest in developing interactive animations and demonstrations based on Adobe (Macromedia) Flash, for use in teaching.
• Principal investigator EPSRC EP/F036566 "New methods for the production and analysis of nanostructured self-assembled lipid mesophases with bicontinuous cubic topology as supported thin films" £292,291 2008-2011
• Co-investigator EPSRC EP/F007795/1 "Developing New Time-Resolved Techniques Monitoring Response of Soft Materials to Mechanical Deformation" £314,571 2007-2009