Postgraduate research

The facade of a Basilica, FlorenceWe offer supervision for the two-year research degree of MPhil (Master of Philosophy) and the three-year degree of PhD (Doctor of Philosophy). These degrees may be taken on a part-time basis over a longer period. At the University of Reading, research degree applicants are registered initially as Higher Degree by Research students, with the expectation of transfer normally after one year, to an MPhil or PhD status, subject to satisfactory completion of course requirements. The degree registration period is backdated to include the initial Higher Degree by Research.

Spanish occupation of the low countries, VelasquezOur students pursuing a degree by research form a lively postgraduate student community together with students registered on taught MA courses. We organise research seminars where presentations are given by postgraduate students, staff, and eminent invited scholars in the history of art and architecture. The Graduate School for Arts and Humanities organises a doctoral training programme of lectures and seminars for all new research students.

The expertise of our academic staff allows for supervision of research degree students with a wide range of research interests. As a registered student, you will work with either one or two supervisors depending on particular needs.  

RX History of Art

The department is a member of a regional network for research exchange in the history of art, including Oxford, Southampton, Warwick, Birmingham and Kingston Universities called RX-History of Art. The network organises symposia, conferences and events specifically for postgraduate students, and you will be encouraged to link up with postgraduate students at other universities in our network.

Things to do now

  • See our research
  • Find out about our research exchange (RX) programme 
  • Meet our staff
  • Take a self guided tour of the University
  • School of Arts and Communication Design
  • Study at Reading
  • Research at the University
  • Life at Reading
  • Money matters
  • Information for international students

Page navigation

See also


Search Form

A-Z lists