Why come to Reading for archaeology?
"The staff at Reading have all been amazingly supportive both in terms of managing the academic work and with regards to finding my place within the archaeological sector."
"An archaeology degree is so diverse, I had no idea when I applied how varied and fascinating it would be and how much scope I had to learn so many things from some of the most passionate and enthusiastic people I have known!"
- Wide ranging and high profile expertise
- Our degree courses
- Proven student satisfaction
- Diverse fieldwork projects
- Hands-on artefact-based learning
- Excellent placement opportunities and enhanced employablility
- Modern Faclities
Here at Reading we have a team of over 20 teaching staff, enabling you to experience and learn about a very wide range of different archaeological fields. These themes and periods are being actively researched by our teaching staff, enabling us to teach you about cutting edge developments in archaeology:
- Burial Archaeology
- Material Culture
- Bioarchaeology (including human remains)
- Past Environments (including Geoarchaeology)
- Gender Archaeology
- Classical (Greeks & Romans)
- Later Prehistory (particularly Neolithic & Bronze Age)
- Post-Roman & Medieval
Our Degree Courses
You can study archaeology either as a Single Honours degree:
- BA Archaeology
- BSc Archaeological Science
or as a Joint Honours degree which allows you to combine and complement your interest in archaeology with other topics. You will select modules from both courses (a 50/50 split):
- BA Archaeology and Ancient History
- BA Archaeology and Classical Studies
- BA Archaeology and History
- BA Museum Studies and Archaeology
For more information see our Undergraduate Courses page
National Student Survey Data
The Department of Archaeology is consistently rated 90-100% in the NSS.
The department was recognised by HEFCE as a Centre of Excellence in Teaching and Learning in Undergraduate Research Skills and benefited from funding for a project to integrate research-based learning into the curriculum.
Find out more
Download our Archaeology recruitment pack flyers for more information.