Staff Profile:Professor John Allen
- Professor J.R.L. Allen
- Job Title:
- Emeritus Professor
- Areas of Interest:
- Sedimentology especially of the coastal zone
- The archaeology of building stone
- Research groups / Centres:
- Scientific Archaeology Research Group
YNumber of items: 24.
- Brown, A. and Allen, J. R. L. (2008) Recent finds of flintwork, Oldbury Flats, south Gloucestershire. Archaeology in the Severn Estuary, 18. pp. 105-110.
- Allen, J. R. L. and Dark, P. (2008) Seasonality of modern pollen and sediment deposition in an estuarine context: the Severn Estuary Levels, southwest England. Journal of Quaternary Science, 23 (3). pp. 213-228. ISSN 0267-8179 doi: 10.1002/jqs.1138
- Allen, J. R. L., Fulford, M.G. and Todd, J.A. (2007) Burnt Kimmeridgian shale at Early Roman Silchester, south-east England, and the Roman Poole-Purbeck complex-agglomerated geomaterials complex. Oxford Journal of Archaeology, 26 (2). pp. 167-191. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0092.2007.00279.x
- Allen, J. R. L., Lamb, A. L. and Dark, P. (2007) Seasonality of delta C-13 and C/N ratios in modern and mid-holocene sediments in the Severn Estuary levels, SW Britain. Holocene, 17 (1). pp. 139-144. ISSN 0959-6836 doi: 10.1177/0959683607073296
- Allen, J. R. L. and Haslett, S. K. (2006) Granulometric characterization and evaluation of annually banded mid-Holocene estuarine silts, Welsh Severn Estuary (UK): coastal change, sea level and climate. Quaternary Science Reviews, 25 (13-14). pp. 1418-1446. ISSN 0277-3791 doi: 10.1016/j.quascirev.2005.12.009
- Allen, J. R. L., Haslett, S. K. and Rinkel, B. E. (2006) Holocene tidal palaeochannels, Severn Estuary Levels, UK: a search for granulometric and foraminiferal criteria. Proceedings of the Geologists Association, 117. pp. 329-344. ISSN 0016-7878
- Allen, J. R. L. (2005) Fishtraps in the middle Severn Estuary: air photographic evidence from the mid twentieth century. Archaeology in the Severn Estuary, 15 (for 20. pp. 31-48.
- Allen, J. R. L. (2005) Roman and medieval-early modern building stones in southeast Wales: the Sudbrook Sandstone and Dolomitic Conglomerate (Triassic). The Monmouthshire Antiquary, 21. pp. 21-44.
- Dark, P. and Allen, J. R. L. (2005) Seasonal deposition of Holocene banded sediments in the Severn Estuary Levels (southwest Britain): palynological and sedimentological evidence. Quaternary Science Reviews, 24 (1-2). pp. 11-33. ISSN 0277-3791 doi: 10.1016/j.quascirev.2004.08.001
- Allen, J. R. L., Bell, M.G. and Scales, R.R.L. (2004) Animal and human footprint tracks in archaeology: description and significance. Archaeology in the Severn Estuary, 14. pp. 55-68.
- Allen, J. R. L. (2004) Annual textural banding in Holocene estuarine silts, Severn Estuary Levels (SW Britain): patterns, cause and implications. Holocene, 14 (4). pp. 536-552. ISSN 0959-6836 doi: 10.1191/0959683604hl730rp
- Allen, J. R. L. (2004) Carrstone in Norfolk buildings. Distribution, use associated and influences. British Archaeological Reports, British Series, pp127.
- Allen, J. R. L. (2004) Chapel (Tump) Farm, Undy, Caldicot Level: an intertidal secondary medieval site and its implications. Archaeology in the Severn Estuary, 15 . pp. 71-80.
- Allen, J. R. L. and Fulford, M.G. (2004) Early Roman mosaic materials in southern Britain, with particular reference to Silchester (Calleva Atrebatum): a regional geological perspective. Britannia, 35. pp. 9-38. ISSN 0068-113X
- Turner, R.C., Allen, J. R. L., Coldstream, N., Jenkins-Jones, C., Morris, R.K. and Priestley, S.G. (2004) The Great Tower, Chepstow Castle, Wales. Antiquaries Journal, 84. pp. 223-318. ISSN 0003-5815
- Allen, J. R. L. and Thornley, D. M. (2004) Laser granulometry of Holocene estuarine silts: effects of hydrogen peroxide treatment. Holocene, 14 (2). pp. 290-295. ISSN 0959-6836 doi: 10.1191/0959683604hl681rr
- Bell, M., Allen, J. R. L., Buckley, S., Dark, P. and Nayling, N. (2004) Mesolithic to Neolithic coastal environmental change: excavations at Goldcliff East, 2003 and research at Redwick. Archaeology in the Severn Estuary, 14. pp. 1-26.
- Lawrence, D. S. L., Allen, J. R. L. and Havelock, G. M. (2004) Salt marsh morphodynamics: An investigation of tidal flows and marsh channel equilibrium. Journal of Coastal Research, 20 (1). pp. 301-316. ISSN 0749-0208
- Allen, J. R. L. (2004) The building stone at the Roman religious complex, Lydney Park, Gloucestershire: character and fate. Archaeological Journal, 160. pp. 229-233.
- Allen, J. R. L. (2004) A medieval pottery assemblage from Magor Pill (Abergwaitha), Caldicot Level: comparative Roman to early-modern trade around the Severn Estuary and beyond. Archaeology in the Severn Estuary, 14. pp. 87-110.
- Bell, M., Allen, J. R. L., Buckley, S., Dark, P. and Haslett, S.K. (2003) Mesolithic to Neolithic coastal environmental change: excavations at Goldcliff East, 2002. Archaeology in the Severn Estuary, 13. pp. 1-29.
- Allen, J. R. L., Rose, E.J. and Fulford, M. (2003) Reuse of Roman stone in the Reedham area of East Norfolk: intimations of a possible 'lost' Roman fort. Britannia, 34. pp. 129-141.
- Allen, J. R. L. (2003) An eclectic morphostratigraphic model for the sedimentary response to Holocene sea-level rise in northwest Europe. Sedimentary Geology, 161 (1-2). pp. 31-54. ISSN 0037-0738 doi: 10.1016/s0037-0738(02)00394-9
- Woolnough, S. J., Allen, J. R. L. and Wood, W.L. (1995) An exploratory numerical model of sediment deposition over tidal saltmarshes. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 41 (5). pp. 515-543. ISSN 0272-7714 doi: 10.1016/0272-7714(95)90025-X
- BSc, DSc, DSc, Hon LLD; FSA; FRS
Professor Allen is closely involved in the teaching of the Reading MSc in Geoarchaeology, and also shares in the supervision of some geoarchaeology related PhD projects.
MSc in Geoarchaeology