Staff Profile:Professor Chris Garforth
- Professor Chris Garforth
- Job Title:
- Professor of Agricultural Extension and Rural Development
Research and supervision of doctoral researchers
- Areas of Interest:
My main research interest is in understanding how farmers access, use and respond to information; and more generally on the role of communication in rural development. This includes a particular interest in the institutional arrangements through which extension and advisory services are provided and in the application of innovation systems perspectives to research on these themes. I am currently leading a study (2012-2014), funded by the ESRC and DFID, of the factors influencing farmer innovation and the impact of that innovation on agricultural growth and livelihoods, together with colleagues in SAPD and in Kenya, Sudan and Uganda. I also coordinate an EU TEMPUS project (2010 - 2013) - Western Balkans Rural Extension Network through Curriculum Reform. I have led several projects exploring UK farmers' responses to policy change and to new technology (e.g. Garforth, Bailey et al. 2013) and collaborate with colleagues within the School and at other universities in exploring how smallholder farmers adapt to environmental and economic change (Hilson and Garforth 2012, 2013; Esham and Garforth 2012, 2013; Ahmed et al, 2013; Ozor et al. 2012).
I supervise doctoral research projects on these themes and I carry out research and consultancy assignments for a range of clients in countries in Asia, Africa and Europe - including UNICEF, World Bank, FAO and national governments.
- Research groups / Centres:
I am a member of the Economic and Social Sciences Research Division of the School
Recent and current research projects:
- Innovation systems, agricultural growth and rural livelihoods in East Africa. ESRC and DFID. 2012 - 2014 http://www.reading.ac.uk/apd/research/apd-resess-ISAGRLEA.aspx
- Increasing the uptake of improved animal disease risk measures by animal keepers: attitudes, behaviours and practical lessons for responsibility and cost-sharing. Defra (UK Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs). 2011
- Addressing vulnerabilities and building capacity for adaptation of agriculture to climate change in China. SAIN project (PI Prof Tim Wheeler) 2010-2013 http://www.sainclimatechange.org/
- Western Balkans Rural Extension Network through Curriculum Reform. TEMPUS project. 2010-2013. http://www.wbren.org/
- Livelihoods in Transition? De-Agrarianization and the Rise of Artisanal Mining in sub-Saharan Africa. ESRC (PI Dr Gavin Hilson). 2009-2010
- Using climate change information in ecosystems services for poverty alleviation research in China. ESPA (Ecosystems Services and Poverty Alleviation programme): NERC, ESRC and DFID (PI Prof Tim Wheeler) 2009-2010 http://www.espachina.org/climate
- Developing a Framework for Agricultural Adaptation to Climate Change in Southern Nigeria. DelPHE (Development Partnerships in High Education) project (PI Dr Nicholas Ozor, University of Nigeria) 2008-2011 http://delphe326nigeria.org
- Improving livelihood security of women self help groups (WSHG) involved in livestock rearing through capacity building. (DelPHE: British Council), led by Dr S Ramkumar, Rajiv Gandhi College of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, Puducherry, India. 2006-2009
- Building capacity to support smallholder farmers through co-operative education in Ethiopia. England-Africa Partnership programme (British Council), in partnership with Ambo College, Ethiopia, and the Co-operative College, UK
- Developing a methodology for assessing livelihoods impact of animal welfare interventions. Brooke Hospital for Animals. 2006-2007
- Research to Understand and Model the Behaviour and Motivations of Farmers in Responding to Policy Changes (England). Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. 2005-2006
- English Beef Farmers' practices, intentions and attitudes regarding the breeding, marketing and feeding of stock. English Beef and Lamb Executive. 2006-2007
YNumber of items: 69.
- Raha, D., Osbahr, H. and Garforth, C. (2013) Does watershed development implemented through public private partnership empower women? A case review from Rajasthan, Western India. Journal of Cleaner Production, 60. pp. 18-33. ISSN 0959-6526 doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2012.08.043
- Esham, M. and Garforth, C. (2013) Agricultural adaptation to climate change: insights from a farming community in Sri Lanka. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, 18 (5). pp. 535-549. ISSN 1573-1596 doi: 10.1007/s11027-012-9374-6
- Bruijnis, M., Hogeveen, H., Garforth, C. and Stassen, E. (2013) Dairy farmers’ attitudes and intentions towards improving dairy cow foot health. Livestock Science. ISSN 1871-1413 doi: 10.1016/j.livsci.2013.04.005
- Chowa, C., Garforth, C. and Cardey, S. (2013) Farmer experience of pluralistic agricultural extension, Malawi. Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension, 19 (2). pp. 147-166. ISSN 1750-8622 doi: 10.1080/1389224X.2012.735620
- Ozor, N., Garforth, C.J. and Madukwe, M. C. (2013) Farmers' willingness to pay for agricultural extension service: evidence from Nigeria. Journal of International Development, 25 (3). pp. 382-392. ISSN 1099-1328 doi: 10.1002/jid.1849
- Garforth, C. J., Bailey, A. P. and Tranter, R. B. (2013) Farmers’ attitudes to disease risk management in England: a comparative analysis of sheep and pig farmers. Preventive Veterinary Medicine, 110 (3-4). pp. 456-466. ISSN 0167-5877 doi: 10.1016/j.prevetmed.2013.02.018
- Hilson, G. and Garforth, C. (2013) ‘Everyone now is concentrating on the mining’: drivers and implications of rural economic transition in the Eastern Region of Ghana. Journal of Development Studies, 49 (3). pp. 348-364. ISSN 0022-0388 doi: 10.1080/00220388.2012.713469
- Ahmed, N., Bunting, S. W., Rahman, S. and Garforth, C. J. (2013) Community-based climate change adaptation strategies for integrated prawn-fish-rice farming in Bangladesh to promote social-ecological resilience. Reviews in Aquaculture. ISSN 1753-5131 doi: 10.1111/raq.12022
- Cardey, S., Garforth, C., Govender, E. and Dyll-Myklebust, L. (2013) Entertainment education theory and practice in HIV/AIDS communication: a South Africa / United Kingdom comparison. Critical Arts, 27 (3). pp. 288-310. ISSN 1992-6049 doi: 10.1080/02560046.2013.800665
- Esham, M. and Garforth, C. (2012) Climate change and agricultural adaptation in Sri Lanka: a review. Climate and Development. ISSN 1756-5537 (In Press)
- Gervacio, J. D. and Garforth, C. (2012) Biogas innovation processes and innovation system: lessons from Davao del Sur, Philippines. International Proceedings of Chemical, Biological and Environmental Engineering, 47. pp. 68-72. ISSN 2010-4618
- Hilson, G. and Garforth, C. (2012) 'Agricultural poverty' and the expansion of artisanal mining in sub-Saharan Africa: Experiences from southwest Mali and southeast Ghana. Population Research and Policy Review, 31 (3). pp. 435-464. ISSN 1573-7829 doi: 10.1007/s11113-012-9229-6
- Ozor, N., Madukwe, M. C., Enete, A. A., Amaechina, E. C., Onokala, P., Eboh, E. C., Ujah, O. and Garforth, C. (2012) A framework for agricultural adaptation to climate change in Southern Nigeria. International Journal of Agriculture Sciences, 4 (5). pp. 243-251. ISSN 0975-3710
- Anigbogu, V. and Garforth, C., (2012) Mid-term evaluation of African Technology Policy Studies Network Phase VI Strategic Plan: for the period January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2010. Report. African Technology Policy Studies Network, Nairobi. pp266. ISBN 9789966030290
- Allison, K., Taylor, N. M., Wilsmore, A. J. and Garforth, C. (2011) Equine anthelmintics: survey of the patterns of use, beliefs and attitudes among horse owners in the UK. Veterinary Record, 168 (18). pp. 483-488. ISSN 0042-4900 doi: 10.1136/vr.d731
- Zubair, M., Garforth, C., Hussain, S. B., Zahid, D. M., Baloch, M. S., Shah, F. R., Awan, I. U., Ullah, M. A. and Hussain, N. (2011) Farm forestry in Pakistan: an application of Theory of Planned Behaviour by probing into the measurement issues. Pakistan Journal of Botany, 43 (1). pp. 705-714. ISSN 0556-3321
- Garforth, C., (2011) Education, training and extension for food producers. Global Food and Farming Futures Project, State of Science Reviews. SR16B. Report. The Government Office for Science, London, UK. pp14.
- Garforth, C. (2011) Effective communication to improve udder health: can social science help? In: Hogeveen, H. and Lam, T.J.G.M. (eds.) Udder Health and Communication. Wageningen Academic Publishers, Wageningen, The Netherlands, pp. 55-66. ISBN 9789086861859 doi: 10.3920/978-90-8686-742-4
- Regmi, B. N. and Garforth, C. (2010) Trees outside forests and rural livelihoods: a study of Chitwan District, Nepal. Agroforestry Systems, 79 (3). pp. 393-407. ISSN 0167-4366 doi: 10.1007/s10457-010-9292-0
- Garforth, C. J. (2010) Motivating farmers: insights from social psychology. In: NMC Annual Meeting, 31 Jan - 03 Feb 2010, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA.
- Garforth, C. (2010) Adapting to new challenges: extension theory and practice for the 21st century. In: International Conference on Agricultural Extension (Agrex 10), 26-28 October 2010, Universiti Putra Malaysia, pp. 1-11. (Keynote Paper)
- Ozor, N., Madukwe, M., Enete, A. A., Amaechina, E. C., Onokala, P., Eboh, E. C., Ujah, O. and Garforth, C. J. (2010) Barriers to climate change adaptation among farming households of southern Nigeria. Journal of Agricultural Extension, 14 (1). pp. 114-124. ISSN 1119-944X
- Rana, R. B., Garforth, C. and Sthapit, B. R. (2009) Farmers' management of rice varietal diversity in the mid-hills of Nepal: implications for on-farm conservation and crop improvement. Plant Genetic Resource: Characterization and Utilization, 7 (1). pp. 50-62. ISSN 1479-263X doi: 10.1017/S1479262108048259
- Rehman, T., Garforth, C., McKemey, K., Yates, C. and Rana, R. (2008) Farmers’ behavioural inclinations and their influence on the anticipated response to the reform of the Common Agricultural Policy in England. Journal of Farm Management , 13. pp. 281-308.
- Rana , R. B., Garforth, C., Sthapit , B. , Subedi , A., Chaudhary, P. and Jarvis, D. (2007) On-farm management of rice genetic diversity: understanding farmers' knowledge on rice ecosystems and varietal development. Plant Genetic Resources Newsletter, 152. pp. 58-64. ISSN 1020-3362
- Garforth, C., Phillips, C. and Bhatia-Panthaki, S., eds. (2007) DSA 2006 annual conference: The private sector, poverty reduction and international development. Journal of International Development (special issue), 19 (6). Wiley.
- Challinor, A., Wheeler, T., Garforth, C., Craufurd, P. and Kassam, A. (2007) Assessing the vulnerability of food crop systems in Africa to climate change. Climatic Change, 83 (3). pp. 381-399. ISSN 0165-0009 doi: 10.1007/s10584-007-9249-0
- Ozor, N., Agwu, A. E., Chukwuone, N. A., Madukwe, M. C. and Garforth, C. J. (2007) Cost-sharing of agricultural technology transfer in Nigeria: perceptions of farmers and extension professionals. Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension, 13 (1). pp. 23-37. ISSN 1381-2335 doi: 10.1080/13892240601162072
- Ramkumar, S., Garforth, C., Rao, S. V. N. and Heffernan, C. (2007) Design and formative evaluation of an information kiosk on cattle health for landless cattle owners. Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension, 13 (1). pp. 7-22. ISSN 1381-2335 doi: 10.1080/13892240601162007
- Rehman, T., Garforth, C., McKemey, K., Yates, C. M. and Rana, R. (2007) Farmers' behavioural inclinations and their influence on the anticipated response to the reform of the Common Agricultural Policy. In: O'Reilly, S., Keane, M. and Enright, P. (eds.) A Vibrant Rural Economy - The Challenge for Balance: Proceedings of the 16th International Farm Management Association Congress. Snap Printing, Cork, Ireland, pp. 100-124.
- Rehman, T., McKemey, K., Yates, C. M., Cooke, R. J., Garforth, C. J., Tranter, R. B., Park, J. R. and Dorward, P. T. (2007) Identifying and understanding factors influencing the uptake of new technologies on dairy farms in SW England using the theory of reasoned action. Agricultural Systems, 94 (2). pp. 281-293. ISSN 0308-521X doi: 10.1016/j.agsy.2006.09.006
- Rana, R. B., Garforth, C., Sthapit, B. and Jarvis, D. (2007) Influence of socio-economic and cultural factors in rice varietal diversity management on-farm in Nepal. Agriculture and Human Values, 24 (4). pp. 461-472. ISSN 0889-048X doi: 10.1007/s10460-007-9082-0
- Garforth, C., Phillips, C. and Bhattia-Panthaki, S. (2007) The private sector, poverty reduction and international development. Journal of International Development, 19 (6). pp. 723-734. ISSN 0954-1748 doi: 10.1002/jid.1407
- Garforth, C., Rehman, T., McKemey, K., Rana, R. B. and Yates, C., (2006) Application and impact of the Single Payment Scheme: a theory of planned behaviour analysis (Defra Research Project EPES 0405/17: research to understand and model the behaviour and motivations of farmers in responding to policy changes (England)). UNSPECIFIED doi: Report 6
- Rehman, T., Garforth, C. J., McKemey, K., Rana, R. B. and Yates, C., (2006) Behavioural typology of farmers in England. (Defra Research Project EPES 0405/17: research to understand and model the behaviour and motivations of farmers in responding to policy changes (England)). UNSPECIFIED doi: Report 7
- Zubair, M. and Garforth, C. (2006) Farm level tree planting in Pakistan: The role of farmers' perceptions and attitudes. Agroforestry Systems, 66 (3). pp. 217-229. ISSN 0167-4366 doi: 10.1007/s10457-005-8846-z
- Garforth, C., McKemey, K., Rehman, T., Tranter, R., Cooke, R., Park, J., Dorward, P. and Yates, C. (2006) Farmers' attitudes towards techniques for improving oestrus detection in dairy herds in South West England. Livestock Science, 103 (1-2). pp. 158-168. ISSN 1871-1413 doi: 10.1016/j.livsci.2006.02.006
- Bailey, A. P., Garforth, C. J., Angell, B., Scott, T., Beedell, J., Beechener, S. and Rana, R. B. (2006) Helping farmers adjust to policy reforms through demonstration farms: lessons from a project in England. Journal of Farm Management, 12 (10). pp. 613-625.
- Garforth, C., Park, J. R., McKemey, K., Rehman, T., Tranter, R. B., Cooke, R. J. and Dorward, P. T. (2006) Improving the use of white clover through a better understanding of farmer attitudes and behaviour. In: Eighth British Grassland Society Research Conference, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, pp. 39-40.
- Garforth, C. (2006) Local knowledge as a resource in developing livestock systems. In: BSAS Ethnoveterinary Conference - Harvesting Knowledge, Pharming Opportunities, Writtle College, p. 1.
- Yates, C., Rehman, T., Garforth, C., McKemey, K. and Rana, R. B., (2006) Modelling the behavioural responses of farmers. (Defra Research Project EPES 0405/17: Research to understand and model the behaviour and motivations of farmers in responding to policy changes (England)). UNSPECIFIED doi: Report 8
- Garforth, C., Rehman, T., McKemey, K., Yates, C., Rana, R. B., Green, K., Wilkinson, M., Beechener, S., Hollis, K. and McIntosh, L., (2006) Research to understand and model the behaviour and motivations of farmers in responding to policy changes (England)). Final report of project EPES0405-17 commissioned by Defra. UNSPECIFIED, Reading. doi: Report 9
- Garforth, C. (2005) Agricultural extension: opportunities and challenges. In: Levy, S. (ed.) Starter Packs: A Strategy to Fight Hunger in Developing and Transition Countries? Lessons from the Malawi experience, 1998-2003. CABI, Wallingford, pp. 175-192. ISBN 0851990088
- Mubangizi, N., Mangheni, M. N. and Garforth, C. (2005) Challenges and opportunities of private agricultural extension service providers in accessing and utilising information under the National Agricultural Advisory Services (NAADS) system in Uganda: a case study of Arua and Tororo districts. In: The globalisation of information: agriculture at the crossroads. XIth IAALD World Congress, Lexington, Ky, USA.
- Garforth, C. and McKemey, K. (2005) English farmers' attitudes towards estimated breeding values as an aid to ram selection. In: Integrating livestock-crop systems to meet the challenges of globalisation, Khon Kaen, Thailand.
- Bailey, A., Garforth, C. J., Angell, B., Scott, T., Beedell, J., Beechener, S. and Rana, R. B. (2005) Helping Farmers Adjust to Policy Reforms through Demonstration Farms: Lessons from a Project in England. In: 15th International Farm Management Congress, Sao Paulo, Brazil, pp. 59-67.
- Garforth, C. (2005) Increasing impact - making it work. In: Stocking, M. and White, R. (eds.) Renewable natural resources management for mountain communities. International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development, Kathmandu, Nepal, pp. 299-308. ISBN 9291150622
- Garforth, C. (2005) Knowledge - key to empowerment. In: Owen, E., Kitalyi, A. J., Jayasuriya, N. and Smith, T. (eds.) Livestock and wealth creation: improving the husbandry of animals kept by resource-poor people in developing countries. Nottingham University Press, Nottingham, pp. 65-84. ISBN 9781904761327
- Garforth, C., Holt, G., Subedi, A., Regmi, B., McKemey, K., Tripathi, B. P. and Ellis-Jones, J. (2005) Linking field level findings to policy and decision-making: Nepal. In: Stocking, M., Helleman, H. and White, R. (eds.) Renewable Natural Resources Management for Mountain Communities. International Centre of Integrated Mountain Development, Kathmandu, Nepal, pp. 239-246. ISBN 9291150622
- Garforth, C., Rehman, T., McKemey, K. and Rana, R. B., (2005) Livestock farmers' attitudes towards consequential loss insurance against notifiable diseases (Final report of a research study commissioned by the Livestock Strategy Division of the UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs). UNSPECIFIED
- Kaberia, B. and Garforth, C. (2005) Mainstreaming farmer-to-farmer extension through effective social organisation and communication. In: 17th European Seminar on Extension Education, Turkey, August 30th 2005.
- Karami, E. and Garforth, C. (2005) Managing complexity in complexity: Knowledge and Information Systems in Natural Resource Management, A Case Study in “Bazoft Watershed” in Iran. In: European Seminar on Extension Education, Izmir, Turkey.
- Garforth, C. and Rehman, T., (2005) Report on modellers' meeting at Reading on 16th September 2005 (Defra Research Project EPES 0405/17: Research to understand and model the behaviour and motivations of garmers in tesponding to policy changes (England)). UNSPECIFIED doi: Report 4
- Souter, D., Scott, N. and Garforth, C. (2005) The economic impact of telecommunications on rural livelihoods and poverty reduction. In: UNSPECIFIED, Milton Keynes, UK.
- Garforth, C. (2004) Demand-led approaches: Introduction. Demand driven approaches to agriculture extension. In: Alex, G. and Rivera, W.M. (eds.) Demand-led approaches. World Bank, Washington, pp. 3-6.
- Garforth, C. J., Rehman, T., McKemey, K., Tranter, R. B., Cooke, R. J., Yates, C. M., Park, J.R. and Dorward, P. (2004) Improving the design of knowledge transfer strategies by understanding farmer attitudes and behaviours. Farm Management Journal, 12. pp. 17-32.
- Mubangizi, N., Mangheni, M.N. and Garforth, C.J. (2004) Information sources and constraints under national agricultural advisory services programme, of service providers in Uganda. Uganda Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 9. pp. 257-264. ISSN 1026-0919
- Garforth, C. (2004) Knowledge management and dissemination for livestock production: global opportunities and local constraints. In: Owen, E., Smith, T., Steele, M.A., Anderson, S., Duncan, A.J., Herrero, M., Leaver, J.D., Reynolds, C.K., Richards, J.I. and Ku-Vera, J.C. (eds.) Responding to the Livestock Revolution: the role of globalisation and implications for poverty alleviation. Nottingham University Press, Nottingham, pp. 287-298. ISBN 0859544966
- Regmi, B. N. and Garforth, C. (2004) Problems and prospects of farm forestry: a case of Chitwan district, Nepal. In: Human Dimensions of Family, Farm and Community Forestry International Symposium, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, USA.
- Ghimire, B.P., Garforth, C. and Morse, S. (2003) Agricultural exension beyond the boundary of public sector monopoly: practical insights and lessons from Rupandehi District of Nepal. In: European Society of Exension Education Seminar.
- Garforth, C., Khatiwada, Y. and Campbell, D. (2003) Communication research to support knowledge interventions in agricultural development: case studies from Eritrea and Uganda. In: Development Studies Association Conference, Glasgow.
- Mwangi, J.G., Garforth, C. and Agunga, R. (2003) Enhancing extension delivery services using religious organisations: a church leaders' initiative in Bahati, Kenya. Journal of International Agricultural Extension Education, 10 (3). pp. 67-72. ISSN 1077-0755
- Garforth, C., Angell, B., Archer, J. and Green, K. (2003) Fragmentation or creative diversity? Options in the provision of land management advisory services. Land Use Policy, 20 (4). pp. 323-333. ISSN 0264-8377 doi: 10.1016/s0264-8377(03)00035-8
- Garforth, C., Angell, B., Archer, J. and Green, K. (2003) Improving farmers' access to advice on land management: Lessons from case studies in developed countries. Agricultural Research and Extension Network, Overseas Development Institute, London, Network Pa. p. 18.
- Garforth, C., Rehman, T., McKemey, K., Tranter, R. B., Cooke, R.J., Yates, C. M., Park, J. R. and Dorward, P.T. (2003) Improving the design of knowledge transfer strategies by understanding farmer attitudes and behaviour. In: Institute of Agricultural Management Annual Conference, Bedford, UK.
- Garforth, C., Rehman, T., McKemey, K., Tranter, R. B., Cooke, R.J., Yates, C. M., Park, J. R. and Dorward, P., (2003) Improving the targeting of knowledge and technology transfer in the livestock sector by understanding farmer attitudes to behaviour. UNSPECIFIED
- Garforth, C. (2003) Knowledge transfer and dissemination: insights from the dairy sector in the UK and India. In: BSAS Annual Conference, University of York, UK.
- Garforth, C., Holt, G., Subedi, A., Regmi, B., McKemey, K., Tripathi, B.P. and Ellis-Jones, J. (2003) Linking field level findings to policy and decision-making: Nepal. In: Renewable Natural Resources Management for Mountain Communities., Kathmandu.
- Rehman, T., McKemey, K., Garforth, C., Huggins, R., Yates, C. M., Cooke, R.J., Tranter, R. B., Park, J. R. and Dorward, P.T. (2003) Theory of reasoned Action and its integration with economic reasoning in linking farmers' attitudes and adoption behaviour - an illustration from the analysis of the uptake of livestock technologies in the South-West of England. In: International Farm Management Association Conference, Perth, Australia.
- MA; PhD (Cambridge: Land Economy)