European Food Systems Education and Training (EFSET)
What is EFSET?
It's a free, flexible online and face-to-face programme consisting of a pan-European, diverse community of students studying food related issues in universities across Europe. EFSET is made up of three universities: the Universities of Reading (UK), Hohenheim (Germany), Turin (Italy) and UAM (Spain).
EFSET will help you discover a holistic understanding of the food system and its challenges, uncover intervention strategies, and help you contextualise them within your chosen speciality or discipline.
Through EFSET, you will be able to:
- Connect with world-renowned experts working on food system challenges.
- Enhance your critical, creative and systems thinking skills.
- Develop graduate attributes and skills desired by prospective employers.
- Tackle real-world food system challenges co-created with workplace partners.
- Interact with students from different disciplines, universities and countries to explore diverse perspectives on food systems at exciting workshops.
- Collaborate with students from other European universities on real-world food system challenges co-created with our industry partners and experience a fully funded international workshop at the University of Reading.
- Enhance your CV by learning a range of practical skills that will raise your professional profile and support you in becoming an effective food system change agent.
The programme is delivered through four units and skills-based workshops:
- Exploration of food systems
- Investigating with food systems thinking
- Application of food systems methods
- Interventions for food systems change
All postgraduate disciplines at Reading are welcome
Dr Alex Arnall, EFSET Reading Principal Investigator (PI)
"EFSET is a really great way for you to enhance your university learning experience, as well as potentially gain access to exciting career-enhancing opportunities, such as work placements and internships. The programme is intended to sit alongside and complement your existing degree course, and is designed to be as interactive as possible via an online learning portal, face-to-face workshops plus other events."
Dr Harley Pope, EFSET Reading Educational Coordinator (EC)
"EFSET provides an opportunity to broaden your understanding of food systems by interacting with people from diverse disciplines. You'll also learn useful thinking skills and intervention strategies that will help you in your postgraduate studies and beyond."
2020 event listing
|Launch Event: Welcome to EFSET||15 October (UoR, UAM) |
30 October (UNITO)
12 November (UoH)
|Launch Unit 1 & 2||15 October|
|Mural Training and International Team Meeting||19 November|
|Workshop 1: Exploration of food systems||26 November|
|Industry Webinar: Graduate skills training||3 December|
|Workshop 2: Investigating with food systems thinking||10 December|
EFSET 2020 introduction:
How to Enrol
You can enrol in EFSET in two ways.
- List EFSET on your signed module selection forms. Take your completed forms to the Module Surgery Desk in room G9 in the Palmer Building.
- Email: email@example.com requesting to be added to the EFSET module.
Once enrolled, EFSET will appear as a module that can be accessed through BlackBoard.
If you have any issues or queries, contact Harley at firstname.lastname@example.org.