At the University of Reading we equip learners at all stages of their careers to develop and fulfil their intellectual and personal potential.Graduates will have developed a range of attributes to prepare them for 21st century lives. These include mastery of their discipline, skills in research and enquiry, personal effectiveness and self-awareness, and global engagement and multi-cultural awareness.
Our vision and ambition
At Reading, we are committed to pursuing excellence in learning and teaching and offering an outstanding experience for all students. Working in partnership with students, we will:
- Deliver strong programmes at all levels of higher education, within distinctive and innovative models, rooted in research and closely aligned with practice.
- Continually refresh our view of how learning can best be achieved and develop new ways of delivering and accessing teaching and learning.
- Review, enhance, diversify and grow our global portfolio of programmes, taking advantage of new opportunities and responding to new markets, and consolidating and rationalising provision where necessary to support growth and maintain sustainability.
Our strategy upholds our commitment to fostering a culture of excellence in teaching and learning. Working in partnership with students and colleagues ensures we deliver an outstanding experience for our students.
Our teaching and learning strategy
Our two key strategic priorities are:
1. To deliver academic excellence through our new Curriculum Framework
At Reading, we are reviewing our Curriculum to ensure our programmes align with our core academic and pedagogic principles, supporting our students to enable them to develop the essential attributes for 21st century lives, including:
- Increasing student engagement with academic study through best practice approaches to supporting students to become independent learners.
- Evolving our approaches to teaching and learning, in particular incorporating the wider use of new Technology Enhanced Learning methods.
- Developing robust assessment practices and providing effective feedback, allowing students to continually improve their learning.
We are developing our portfolio of programmes to diversify into new areas and delivery methods and consolidating provision where necessary to support growth and maintain sustainability.
2. To offer an outstanding student learning experience by:
- Supporting all members of our increasingly diverse student body to participate positively in the University’s teaching and learning community from transition through to completion.
- Providing our students with the best possible curricular and co-curricular personal development opportunities that enable them to reach their full potential.
- Equipping students with the aspirations, confidence and skills to become highly employable graduates who are sought after by employers, both nationally and internationally, and are able to respond to diverse opportunities and challenges.
ENABLING AND IMPLEMENTING OUR STRATEGY
To enable achievement of our strategic priorities, we will:
- Continue our commitment to recruit, develop, value and reward well-qualified professional and academic staff.
- Develop mechanisms to support meaningful student-staff partnerships across all aspects of the student learning experience.
- Update and invest in learning environments, systems and technologies to support our students and staff now and in the future.
- Provide high-quality professional support and services that are accessible for our diverse student and staff communities.
- Support all students to access and understand the value of work-based learning, career development, student mobility and global engagement opportunities.
To measure our performance and the success of our Strategy, we will continue to use the relevant Institutional and Teaching and Learning Key Performance Indicators. We will also identify and monitor progress against targets and milestones relating to specific activities and projects.