MSc Renewable Energy: Technology and Sustainability
A well-established programme with an international reputation which has attracted students from over 70 countries since 1986. This unique programme examines the technical and policy questions arising from global demands for secure, affordable and sustainable energy.
The Postgraduate programme in Renewable Energy: Technology and Sustainability aims to provide students with a robust understanding of the applications of renewable energy and sustainable technology, combined with a strong awareness of the impact on the environment of using non sustainable technologies. The programme examines the technical and policy questions arising from global demands for secure, affordable and sustainable energy. The course covers rapidly evolving fields that are vitally relevant to how society develops in the 21st Century. This course is invaluable for those interested in understanding technical and policy issues, those seeking professional development (CPD) and those wishing to embark on further research.
This programme of study brings students up to date with energy technologies and policy together with their social and environmental impacts, including climate change. There is a focus on renewable energy particularly wind, hydro, solar and biomass. The role of conventional energy supplies including fossil and nuclear sources is addressed. Technical and policy approaches to the management of energy demand are considered. The programme attracts a mix of people from a variety of related backgrounds, including physical scientists, engineers, policy makers and economists, environmental scientists, and professionals with working knowledge in the field. This diversity encourages lively interaction leading to a better understanding of renewable energy problems and their potential solutions.
The taught programme consists of lectures, laboratory and computer modelling work, and tutorials. There will be a range of site visits. The MSc programme is completed with a supervised research project, often undertaken with energy companies or organisations.
Why choose Reading?
- Join us in our programme of discovery and creative thinking, designed to question and challenge conventional wisdom about the built environment. Our aim is the co-creation of new knowledge and understanding about complex and challenging problems.
- The School of Construction Management and Engineering is one of the world's leading university departments dealing with the built environment. The School is truly multidisciplinary in nature and our staff have extensive experience as advisors, consultants and visiting lecturers to commercial organisations, governments and universities globally. We also attract students from all over the world.
- Our MSc courses are focused on ensuring an excellent student experience, dealing with new ideas, tools and techniques, and exposure to the latest research.
- We supplement this excellent teaching with twenty-first century technologies.
- Excellent facilities include a dedicated computer lounge for use by our students equipped with the latest digital technology and software, including building information modelling (BIM), 3D laser scanning, building energy simulations and urban microclimate simulations. The School also possesses laboratory space and experimental equipment to support student research projects.
Studying at Reading provides a great platform from which to launch your career. We have a proud tradition of producing graduates that progress rapidly in their careers. Recent graduates from the School have found employment in a wide variety of roles including: Sustainability Consultant, Energy Officer, Renewables Engineer, Renewables Consultant, Technical Director, Project Analyst, Researcher, Sales and Marketing, Design Engineer. The companies our graduates have joined range from international energy and technical services companies to specialist sustainability advisors and technology developers, including: European Marine Energy Centre, Scottish and Southern Energy, Dulas , AECOM, Foster Wheeler, Jacobs and National Grid.
You may be able to apply for a scholarship or bursary to help fund your postgraduate course at Reading. See our Fees for more information.
Suitable for graduates with degrees such as environmental science, mathematics, engineering, physics, construction, geography, agriculture, chemistry, geology, economics, planning and management, business studies, computer science. However, the subject area is interdisciplinary, and motivated applicants with other degree backgrounds are encouraged to apply, as are candidates with professional experience and related qualifications.
View our full list of course fees.