Planning Data Entry
In parallel with planning the data collection you should also be preparing the data entry system. This can and should be developed at the same time as the data collection instruments and before fieldwork. This ensures that data entry can start as soon after collection as possible. In planning data entry you need to consider what software to use - should you use a database system or is a spreadsheet adequate?
- Part 1 - Elements of a Data Entry System
- Part 2 - Illustrating the process using CS-Pro
- Research Data Management - training materials
- The Role of a Database Package for Research Projects
- Disciplined Use of Spreadsheet Packages for Data Entry (Excel 2003)
- Disciplined Use of Spreadsheet Packages for Data Entry (Excel 2007)
CS-Pro for Data Entry
CS-Pro (Census and Survey Processing System) is a software package for entry, editing, tabulation and dissemination of census and survey data. It was developed jointly by the U.S. Census Bureau, Macro International and Serpro S.A., with major funding from the U.S. Agency for International Development. The software can be downloaded from the website of the U.S. Census Bureau and is available free of charge.
We have produced a series of video demonstrations to help you set up and use data entry systems using CS-Pro. Click here to see the list of available videos.
Based on our experience with CS-Pro, our annual short course programme now includes a 6-day workshop which is scheduled to run in April, aimed at researchers, demographers, and data managers. Click here for further information.
Last updated: 9 November, 2012