Dr David Ward
- +44 (0) 118 378 4689
Areas of Interest
Motor speech control; speech kinematics in normal and speech/language disordered populations, stuttering, cluttering, the treatment of disorders of fluency. David Ward is Lecturer and Director of the Clinical Language Sciences Speech Research Laboratory at The University of Reading. His qualifications include a BSc in Speech Pathology and Therapy (1987) an MA in Linguistics and Phonetics (1988) and a PhD in speech kinematics and stammering (1995). He is currently Chair of the International Cluttering Association's academic and research committees, and is an editorial consultant for the newly formed Bulgarian Journal of Communication Disorders.
Ward practiced as a speech language pathologist in Canada before returning to the UK to undertake his PhD at the University of Reading. He now combines his academic position with a specialist NHS post in clinical practice (dysfluency) in Oxford. His research interests cluster around the areas of motor speech control articulatory kinematics and brain imaging in both normal speech and in stammering and cluttering. Further interests include clinical aspects of these disorders. In addition to journal articles and book chapters, he has written a textbook on stammering and cluttering (2006) and more recently co-edited a textbook on cluttering (2011; with Scaler Scott), to which he also contributed two chapters. His new book on cluttering therapy (with Scaler Scott) will be published in 2012.
Research groups / Centres
- Alameer, M., Meteyard, L. and Ward, D. (2017) Stuttering generalization self-measure: preliminary development of a self-measuring tool. Journal of Fluency Disorders, 53. pp. 41-51. ISSN 0094-730X doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfludis.2017.04.001
- Gough, P. M., Connally, E. L., Howell, P., Ward, D., Chesters, J. and Watkins, K. E. (2017) Planum temporale asymmetry in people who stutter. Journal of Fluency Disorders. ISSN 0094-730X doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfludis.2017.06.003 (In Press)
- St Louis, K. O., Sønsterud, H., Junuzović-Žunić, L., Tomaiuoli, D., Del Gado, F., Caparelli, E., Theiling, M., Flobakk, C., Helmen, L. N., Heitmann, R. R., Kvenseth, H., Nilsson, S., Wetterling, T., Lundström, C., Daly, C., Leahy, M., Tyrrell, L., Ward, D. and Węsierska, M. (2016) Public attitudes toward stuttering in Europe: within-country and between-country comparisons. Journal of Communication Disorders, 62. pp. 115-130. ISSN 0021-9924 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcomdis.2016.05.010
- Bretherton-Furness, J., Ward, D. and Saddy, D., (2016) Creating a non-word list to match 226 of the Snodgrass standardised picture set. Journal of Phonetics and Audiology. Report. OMICB publishing group
- Ward, D., Connally, E. L., Pliatsikas, C., Bretherton-Furness, J. and Watkins, K. E. (2015) The neurological underpinnings of cluttering: some initial findings. Journal of Fluency Disorders, 43. pp. 1-16. ISSN 0094-730X doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfludis.2014.12.003
- Connally, E., Ward, D., Pliatsikas, C. and Watkins, K. (2014) Pivotal disruption? Abnormal activity in motor control regions in stuttering. St Anne's Academic Review, 5. pp. 26-43. ISSN 2048-2566
- Connally, E., Ward, D., Howell, P. and Watkins, K. E. (2013) Disrupted white matter in language and motor tracts in developmental stuttering. Brain and Language, 131. pp. 25-35. ISSN 0093-934X doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bandl.2013.05.013
- Scaler Scott, K. and Ward, D. (2013) Managing cuttering: a comprehensive guidebook of activities. Pro-Ed Inc.. ISBN 978-1416405429
- Bretherton-Furness, J. and Ward, D. (2012) Lexical access, story re-telling and sequencing skills in adults who clutter and those who do not. Journal of Fluency Disorders, 37 (4). pp. 214-224. ISSN 0094-730X doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfludis.2012.09.001
- Ward, D. (2011) Scope and constraint in the diagnosis of cluttering: combining two perspectives. In: Cluttering: a handbook of research, intervention and education. Psychology Press, Sussex, pp. 254-262. ISBN 9781848720299
- Ward, D. (2010) Sudden onset stuttering in an adult: Neurogenic and psychogenic perspectives. Journal of Neurolinguistics, 23 (5). pp. 511-517. ISSN 0911-6044 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneuroling.2009.06.001
- Ward, D. (2008) Cluttering condensed: some notes for clinicians. Bulletin: the official magazine of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (677). 14-15..
- Ward, D. (2008) The aetiology and treatment of developmental stammering in childhood. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 93 (1). pp. 68-71. ISSN 0003-9888 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.2006.109942
Theoretical and clinical courses in disorders of fluency, instrumental clinical phonetics, practical phonetics
PhD, MA, BSc, MRCSLT, Reg HPC