Dr Arpita Bose
- +44 (0) 118 378 6105
Member of School Research Ethics Committee; Leader of Language and Cognition Research Group; Module Convenor (Communication Impairment 3 & 4, Introduction to Speech-Language Pathology).
Areas of Interest
My primary research focus is on extending our theoretical understanding of the interplay between cognitive, linguistic and speech motor processes during language production (in normal and neurologically impaired speakers such as aphasia, apraxia of speech, dementia, Parkinson's disease) and subsequently implementing those findings to develop better intervention strategies for language production deficits in neurologically impaired populations. Using methodologies and approaches from various disciplines (e.g., psycholinguistics, experimental psychology, neuroscience and speech-language therapy), I have strived to bridge the gap between theoretical and applied research in language processing and its disorders.
Specific topics I am currently investigating are -- interaction of semantic, phonological and articulatory processes during word production in aphasia, word and non-word production in aphasia, semantic transparency and compound word production, treatment studies to improve verbal production in aphasia and apraxia of speech; reading and writing disorders following brain lesions, quality of life issues in stroke rehabilitation and lexical processing in bilingual speakers (normal and bilingual aphasia).
My research has been supported by funding from various national and international bodies (e.g., British Academy, Wellcome Trust, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario). I welcome enquires from individuals interested in pursuing PhD studies, as well as potential clinical and research collaborators.
Research groups / Centres
- McCormick, M., Bose, A. and Marinis, T. (2017) Decision-making capacity in aphasia: SLT’s contribution in England. Aphasiology. ISSN 1464-5041 doi: 10.1080/02687038.2017.1355441
- Bose, A., Wood, R. and Kiran, S. (2017) Semantic fluency in aphasia: clustering and switching in the course of one minute. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders, 52 (3). pp. 334-345. ISSN 1368-2822 doi: 10.1111/1460-6984.12276
- Bose, A. and Schafer, G. (2017) Name agreement in aphasia. Aphasiology, 31 (10). pp. 1143-1165. ISSN 1464-5041 doi: 10.1080/02687038.2016.1254148
- Square, P. A., Namasivayam, A. K., Bose, A., Goshulak, D. and Hayden, D. (2014) Multi-sensory treatment for children with developmental motor speech disorders. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders, 49 (5). pp. 527-542. ISSN 1460-6984 doi: 10.1111/1460-6984.12083
- Bose, A. (2013) Phonological therapy in jargon aphasia: effects on naming and neologisms. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders, 48 (5). pp. 582-595. ISSN 1368-2822 doi: 10.1111/1460-6984.12038
- Bose, A. and van Lieshout, P. (2012) Speech-like and non-speech lip kinematics and coordination in aphasia. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders, 47 (6). pp. 654-672. ISSN 1460-6984 doi: 10.1111/j.1460-6984.2012.00171.x
- Soros, P., Bose, A., Sokoloff, L., Graham, S. and Stuss, D. (2011) Age-related changes in the functional neuroanatomy of overt speech production. Neurobiology of Aging, 32 (8). pp. 1505-1513. ISSN 0197-4580 doi: 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2009.08.015
- Bose, A., Colangelo, A. and Buchanan, L. (2011) Effect of phonetic complexity on word reading and repetition in deep dyslexia. Journal of Neurolinguistics, 24 (4). pp. 435-444. ISSN 0911-6044 doi: 10.1016/j.jneuroling.2011.01.004
- Pekkala, S., Ikkala, M., Bose, A. and Borgwaldt, S. (2010) Compound production and comprehension in aphasia: data from English and Finnish. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 6. pp. 37-38. ISSN 1877-0428 doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.08.019
- Bose, A., McHugh, T., Schollenberger, H. and Buchanan, L. (2009) Measuring quality of life in aphasia: results from two scales. Aphasiology, 23 (7-8). pp. 797-808. ISSN 1464-5041 doi: 10.1080/02687030802593189
- Bose, A. and van Lieshout, P. (2008) Effects of utterance length on lip kinematics in aphasia. Brain and Language, 106 (1). pp. 4-14. ISSN 0093-934x doi: 10.1016/j.bandl.2008.03.002
- van Lieshout, P. H. H. M., Bose, A., Square, P. A. and Steele, C. M. (2007) Speech motor control in fluent and dysfluent speech production of an individual with apraxia of speech and Broca’s aphasia. Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics, 21 (3). pp. 159-188. ISSN 0269-9206 doi: 10.1080/02699200600812331
- Bose, A., van Lieshout, P. and Square, P. A. (2007) Word frequency and bigram frequency effects on linguistic processing and speech motor performance in individuals with aphasia and normal speakers. Journal of Neurolinguistics, 20 (1). pp. 65-88. ISSN 0911-6044 doi: 10.1016/j.jneuroling.2006.05.001
- Bose, A. and Buchanan, L. (2007) A cognitive and psycholinguistic investigation of neologisms. Aphasiology, 21 (6-8). pp. 726-738. ISSN 1464-5041 doi: 10.1080/02687030701192315
- Sörös, P., Sokoloff, L. G., Bose, A., McIntosh, A. R., Graham, S. J. and Stuss, D. T. (2006) Clustered functional MRI of overt speech production. NeuroImage, 32 (1). pp. 376-387. ISSN 1053-8119 doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2006.02.046
- Rochon, E., Laird, L. , Bose, A. and Scofield, J. (2005) Mapping therapy for sentence production impairments in nonfluent aphasia. Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, 15 (1). pp. 1-36. ISSN 1464-0694 doi: 10.1080/09602010343000327