UPDATE: PSE4 2018 is closed for applications
UPDATE: PSE5 2018 IS CLOSED FOR APPLICATIONS
UPDATE: PSE6 2018 is closed for applications
Develop the skills you need to start a degree course in the UK – and the confidence to make a success of it.
If you already have at least 4.0 in IELTS (or equivalent), our Pre-sessional English (PSE) programme will help you:
- achieve the English language level you require for entry on to your chosen undergraduate or postgraduate degree course
- prepare for academic study
- progress to a degree course – most degree courses at Reading accept students from the PSE programme with an exit score of 0.5 below the target.
Whether you have already been accepted on to a degree course or are intending to study in the UK, by taking the PSE programme at Reading, you can make friends, become familiar with our campus and adapt to life in the UK before you start your degree course.
"When I compare before and after my experience… I see one word: confidence."
A Flexible and tailored programme
This is a flexible programme that allows you to choose when you start and how long you study with us. The programme involves study blocks that start on different dates throughout the year – whichever date you start, you join a class of students at the same language level as you.
Our PSE programme is tailored to your needs:
- you can enrol on as many study blocks as you need; we can advise you how long it is likely to take to reach your target English language level
- if you join us over the summer (in study blocks PSE4, PSE5 or PSE6), separate classes are available for prospective undergraduate and postgraduate students.
What you'll learn
During the programme, you will learn academic English while developing the skills required to become a confident and independent student.
How you'll learn
Our small class sizes and expert teachers ensure you get the support you need. You will be encouraged to participate in learning activities that develop your English language and academic study skills. And as you are assessed as part of the programme, you do not need to take a separate, external language test at the end of the programme.
You can apply for accommodation in our comfortable halls of residence, which are either on or close to the campus and all of its facilities. Living with other students on the PSE programme gives you the chance to make friends and become part of a supportive community of international students.
How to apply
It's easy to apply and we can help you with your application if you need it.