How you'll learn
The University of Reading offers you a stimulating academic environment in which to prepare for your future studies.
learn from experts
You will benefit from our highly successful teaching methods and expert staff:
- small classes – with just 12–16 students in each class, you receive individual support from your tutor and can easily join in class activities
- integrated language and skills teaching – you learn and practise your English language skills through activities such as essay writing and listening to lectures
- learning strategies – we help you prepare for independent study at a UK university
- extra support if you need it – additional classes can help you gain confidence in English grammar, vocabulary, spelling and fluency.
"I learned thousands of strategies to improve my writing, listening, speaking and note-taking in lectures, as well as time management skills!"
The University of Reading offers a range of resources to support your learning, including:
- multimedia classrooms – interactive whiteboards, student computers and other technology help make learning effective and interesting
- resources for independent learning – books, DVDs, dictionaries, language learning software and online resources from our specialist centre: the Self-Access Centre for Language Learning (SACLL)
- course books – written by our experienced and qualified staff.
The PSE programme at Reading incorporates its own assessment, so that you do not need to take a separate external test (such as IELTS or TOEFL).
- During the programme
Your progress will be assessed throughout the programme, so that you receive the support you need.
- On completing the programme
You will take the TEEP at the end of the programme.
- Overall assessment
We use your continuous assessment and TEEP grades to create a pre-sessional report, which reflects your attainment over the whole programme.
Most degree courses at Reading accept students from the PSE programme with an exit score of 0.5 below the target.
Find out how you can apply for the Pre-sessional English programme at Reading.