The support provided was timely and productive and helped establish a number of practical and professional initiatives that have contributed positively towards the development of ELT in the national university system of Sri Lanka.
The International Study and Language Institute (ISLI) at the University of Reading has over 30 year's experience of providing language education and support to staff and students.
The ISLI's expertise in consultancy partnerships supports institutions in building internal capability for professional, academic and English language skills and delivery, tailored to a country's specific requirements.
Why choose ISLI?
The ISLI can work with you to create and deliver Partnership Development Programmes, which provide:
- English for both academic and specific purposes
- academic skills development
- foundation level development
- specialised courses for educational and professional development
- integrated training and curriculum development
- assessment design, development and delivery
- quality assurance systems, development and delivery
- overseas and/or UK-based training and consultancy services.
The flexible and responsive nature of our consultancy partnerships enables us to implement and integrate them effectively to fulfil your requirements.
English for Professional Purposes
We also design courses for improving participants' English in specific occupational contexts, such as:
- English for Administrative Purposes for Chinese University Administrators, sponsored by the Chinese Scholarship Council
- English for Administrative Purposes for Turkish District Governors, sponsored by the Turkish Ministry of the Interior
- English for Law Enforcement Purposes for senior European Police Officers on behalf of the European Police College (CEPOL), in partnership with NPIA (National Policing Improvement Agency)
- English to support crude oil export project management for Iraqi managers based at Foster Wheeler
We welcome requests for special courses. Please contact us well in advance to ensure that we can meet all your requirements.
Language assessment development
As well as producing commissioned tests, we run testing workshops for various institutions. For example, a series of workshops at the Colleges of Applied Science in Oman led to the development of the Higher Education Test of Educational English in Oman. A similar workshop in Sri Lanka led to the creation of the University English Language Test (UELT). We also run workshops in item writing, text searching, item analysis etc. at various institutions in the UK, for example at the University of the Arts (London), the Institute of Education (London) and Oxford Brookes University.
To find out more about the TEEP and Language Assessment, please see the following link: Language assessment development