Pre-sessional: accommodation


Here at the University of Reading we have been organising accommodation for students for many years and as a result we understand that finding accommodation in a different country can be an exciting and nervous time.

This page will give you all of the information you need to make booking accommodation in Reading as easy as possible. However, if you still have questions please do get in touch by email:

We look forward to welcoming you to Reading soon.


How to apply

Programmes starting between 12th January 2015 to 20th April 2015

A range of room types, including premium en-suite, standard en-suite and washbasin rooms, are available for these course start dates. Availability is limited , and we therefore advise you to apply early as accommodation is booked on a first come first served basis.

To view more information about our room types and halls of residence please follow the links below:

To apply for this accommodation, please go to your RISIS webportal:


Programmes starting: 22nd June 2015

 Accommodation options for this course will be available shortly:

  1. Make sure that you have firmly accepted your place on your course (you won't be able to apply for accommodation till you have done this)
  2. Register your interest for accommodation using this form:

        Pre-Sessional Accommodation Request Form

Programmes starting: 6th July and 27th July 2015

To apply for accommodation for these dates:

  1. Please note, applications for accommodation for these courses will open in January!
  2. Make sure that you have firmly accepted your place on your course (you won't be able to apply for accommodation till you have done this)
  3. Then go to:
  4. Collect your promotional code, and go through to the booking pages!
  5. If you are having any difficulty with your booking, please see the following guide to help you with your accommodation application

PSE Accommodation Guide


What accommodation is available?


The University of Reading has a range of accommodation available, at varying prices; however not all of the halls of residence will be available at all times of the year.

You will have the option to choose a hall at the time of booking, subject to availability.


Programmes starting in October

For programmes starting in October, students are invited to apply with the main body of Reading students via the University Accommodation Office. Information about how to apply will be sent alongside admissions information.

All students who apply by 1 August (and have firmly accepted their offer at Reading) will be guaranteed accommodation in Halls of Residence for the October start.

Please note students must be 18 by 31 December in order to qualify for this guarantee. Students below 18 should contact us for further information on accommodation options.

In October all accommodation is available and applications are dealt with on a first come first served basis. The accommodation team will do their best to find you your first choice of accommodation, however cannot make any guarantees.

Please see the links below to find out more about the University accommodation available from October:



What is included in my accommodation package?

Hall of Residence Package

All students who live in a University hall of residence will have access to the following:

  • Study bedroom, including: a bed, a mattress, a desk and desk chair, bookshelves, desk lighting, wardrobes and drawers. A mattress protector is provided, however bedding (bed sheets and duvets) is not. Bedding can be purchased from the hall reception either in advance or on arrival.
  • Data point, providing unlimited access to the University network via your own computer.
  • Heating, lighting and power.
  • Bathroom. En-suite accommodation includes a personal shower, toilet and wash basin for each resident. Washbasin rooms contain a wash basin within the bedroom and access to communal bathroom facilities with showers and/or baths, toilets and additional washbasins.
  • Kitchen, including (in self-catered accommodation): a hob and oven, a microwave, a fridge and freezer, storage space for each resident, a kettle and a toaster. Residents in catered halls will have access to a small kitchen equipped with a microwave, toaster, kettle and fridge freezer as a minimum. These small kitchens can be used to prepare snack and hot drinks.
  • Laundrette, with washing machine and tumble dryer facilities, available for use at a low cost.

The accommodation also includes:

  • A 24 hour dedicated halls security team.
  • A 24 hour halls hotline and maintenance teams.
  • A Hall welfare team including a warden and wardens assistants to provide welfare guidance.

Catering Options

For starters arriving between October and June catered packages will be available with the accommodation. For more information please visit Halls of Residence at the University of Reading

For students on a self-catered package there are still many options available for eating, as well as the option to load money onto your campus card (follow this catering link for more information) with which to purchase food at a discount at certain on-site eateries.

For a list of catering outlets and information about local supermarkets please see 'Shopping and Eating'.


Shopping and Eating

Reading town centre is fantastic for shopping and eating out and is only a 15 minute bus ride from the main campus. There are also plenty of catering outlets and shops available nearby either on campus or in the local area.

During your stay there will be times when you need to purchase meals or snacks from University catering outlets. The units that are available and their opening hours can be found on the Catering Services website

The catering outlets offer various styles of food to meet most tastes. They are well spread across the University campuses.

If you have a Campus Card you can take advantage of the catering discount scheme. Open your account online at our dedicated and secure website

Information about outlets run by and based in the Students Union can be found on their website (RUSU catering outlets). (This includes Seoul Food, a shop providing a varied selection of oriental food.)

Local Shops and Supermarkets

There is a Students' Union shop on campus, which sells groceries and stationary (open all year round), and there are also many supermarkets in the Reading area. A 15 minute bus journey to town gives you access to several different small in-town supermarkets such as Tesco (Tesco Store Locator) and Sainsburys (Sainsburys Store Locator). A 15 minute bus journey in the other direction will give you access to a large ASDA (ASDA Lower Earley) superstore which sells a wide range of groceries alongside many household and electrical items. For more information about bus travel in Reading please see the Reading Buses Website (Reading buses University travel webpage).


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a place in University accommodation?

Answer: Please see the 'How to apply for accommodation' section on this page.

I don't have accommodation booked and I am due to start my course soon; what shall I do?

Answer: You should email us at We can assist you to find short term, temporary accommodation in the area, or investigate alternatives.

Can I arrive at the accommodation before my contract start date?

Answer: In most cases you will not be able to arrive in your halls before the start date of your accommodation. Please email if you need assistance to arrange something short term and temporary.

How much will it cost for me to live in University accommodation?

Answer: Please see the page Accommodation & Living Costs.

How will my Hall room be furnished?

Answer: Please see the 'What is included in my accommodation package' section of this page for a full list of what furniture is provided in your room.

Can I access the internet from my Hall room?

Answer: Yes-A data service in all Hall bedrooms allows you to connect your PC direct to the University network, giving unlimited high-speed access to the internet.

Are there telephones in the bedrooms?

Answer: There are no telephone lines in study bedrooms, but each Hall has a number of internal phones which can be used to make emergency calls free of charge, and other external calls using a 'calling card'. In addition, each Hall has at least one payphone in an area suitable for making confidential calls. Many students now use commercial voice-over-IP services to obtain a telephone connection via the data network.

What alternatives are there to University accommodation?

Answer: The Reading University Student's Union offers advice about alternative accommodation to halls, such as private landlords.

Alternatively the University does have a range of family accommodation and off-site housing available. Please contact directly for more information.

Can I smoke in my Hall of Residence?

Answer: No - all areas of Halls (including study bedrooms) have been designated as no-smoking areas.

What catering options are available to me?

Answer: Between October and June accommodation which includes a catering package is usually available. For detailed information on catering in Halls see the University Catering web page.

In the Summer months of July, August and September, catering is not available as part of the accommodation package. For more information about catering and food shopping at these times please see our 'Shopping and Eating' page.

What if I experience problems whilst living in Halls of Residence?

Answer: A telephone hotline (0118 378 7777) is available 24/7 for any problems in hall.

On arrival you will receive a hall handbook with greater details about service delivery times and how to report problems.

Will you guarantee me a place in University accommodation?

Answer: Whilst every effort is made to accommodate you during your course at the University, unfortunately, this cannot be guaranteed. To have the best chance of securing accommodation, please apply early.

Can I change, leave or cancel my contract?

Answer: After you have entered into the contract for your room, we are unable to simply change it. In most cases, if you wish to cancel your contract, or leave early, a replacement student will need to be found to take your room. You look for a replacement, and we can also keep your room on a waiting list to see if a suitable replacement can be found.

Should you leave, cancel or change your room, you may be subject to charges.

Can I sub-let my room to a friend if I no-longer need it?

Answer: No, you cannot arrange for someone else to live in and pay for your room. If you know of someone who is interested in taking your room, please email us at, and we will investigate if your contract can be replaced using the official channels.

I have applied for my visa but have experienced problems/delays, what shall I do?

Answer: As soon as you know there will be a delay with your visa, email us at immediately. If you do not arrive on your booking date to move into your room, your room is at risk of being offered to another student.

I am arriving after my contract start date, can you hold my room?

Answer: Yes, we will be able to arrange this, but you need to email us at with your planned arrival date, so that we can arrange this for you. If you do not let us know when you intend to arrive, your room is at risk.

I am arriving outside of normal reception hours, will I be able to check into my room?

Answer: Yes. You will need to go to your hall, and call the security team from the call point outside the main entrance. Please carry some photo ID with you, such as your passport. They will then be able to issue you with your room key.


Contact us


  • Telephone:
    +44 (0)118 378 8922


Page navigation


Search Form

A-Z lists