About the Test of English for Educational Purposes (TEEP)

The TEEP is a test of proficiency in English for Academic Purposes (EAP), for students whose first language is not English, and who are planning to study a degree programme at a UK University. The TEEP is an established test which has been developed over a number of years at the International Study and Language Institute (ISLI) at the University of Reading.

Advantages of the TEEP

  • designed specifically for university study, not other purposes
  • the test is designed to give minimum stress to candidates: a single topic throughout, and straightforward question types
  • the reading, listening and writing sections are topic-linked, just like most university study
  • the speaking test is also topic-linked, with preparation time included
  • the speaking test gives the opportunity to talk individually, and discuss with a partner
  • high standards of marking: everything is double-marked and moderated
  • results available within 10 days

TEEP and Pre-sessional English

The TEEP is used as a part of the ISLI's Pre-sessional English programme, so that the course content and the test match each other

Other continuous assessment tasks and tests are also given, so that each student has many chances to show their best performance in English.

The Pre-sessional final course assessment gives students the best of two grades: TEEP and continuous assessment.

TEEP for universities other than the University of Reading

  • a number of UK Universities use TEEP as a degree entry qualification, recognising its value as a specialised academic test
  • you should check that TEEP is a suitable option in your individual case before you apply for the test*

* Please note that it is sometimes difficult for large institutions such as universities to control decisions across all departments. If you are applying to universities other than the University of Reading, the safest and most efficient way to check is to contact them directly to check the latest information. A list of UK university contact details is here: http://www.ucas.com/students/choosingcourses/choosinguni/instguide/. Please also note that the actual grade required will depend on the institution and the course applied for.

TEEP and UK visas

If you need a visa to study in the UK, you will need to check the most up-to-date information about qualifications, as there are often changes in immigration procedures.

Page navigation


Search Form

A-Z lists