Staff Profile:Dr Michael Peters
- Dr Michael Peters
- Job Title:
- Lecturer in Energy Policy in the Built Environment
I began my appointment as Lecturer in Energy Policy in the Built Environment on 1st October 2012, in the School of Construction Management and Engineering.
- Areas of Interest:
Prior to joining Reading I worked for 6 years at the University of Surrey in the Centre for Environmental Strategy (CES). The first five years was spent as Senior Research Fellow in the ESRC Research Group on Lifestyles, Values and Environment (RESOLVE) where I coordinated research on environmental education and community engagement in low carbon social change initiatives. In November 2011 I was appointed to a temporary lectureship in CES, which I continued doing until taking up the post at Reading.I worked as a Senior Research Associate in the Centre for Social and Economic Research on the Global Environment (CSERGE) at the University of East Anglia between 2001 and 2006. I am experienced in the use of stakeholder research techniques (including focus groups and in-depth and semi-structured interviews) and have presented my work on community engagement in climate change and sustainable energy policy widely at national and international conferences. I have a growing publication profile and was lead editor of the recently published volume 'Low Carbon Communities: Imaginative Approaches to Combating Climate Change Locally' (published by Edward Elgar Ltd. September 2010).
- Research groups / Centres:
YNumber of items: 12.
- Fudge, S., Peters, M. and Woodman, B. (2016) Local authorities as niche actors: the case of energy governance in the UK. Environmental Innovation and Societal Transitions, 18 (1). pp. 1-17. ISSN 2210-4224 doi: 10.1016/j.eist.2015.06.004
- Medas, M., Cheshire, D., Cripps, A., Connaughton, J. and Peters, M. (2015) Towards BIM-integrated, resource-efficient building services. In: CIBSE Technical Symposium, 16-17 April 2015, University College London.
- Sinclair , P., Peters, M. and Fudge , S. (2014) Introducing "ecoputation": a universal systems design process. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 46. pp. 311-330. ISSN 1364-0321 doi: 10.1016/j.rser.2014.11.057
- Peters, M., Fudge, S. and Hoffman, S. (2013) The persistent challenge of encouraging public participation in the low-carbon transition. Carbon Management, 4 (4). pp. 373-375. ISSN 1758-3004 doi: 10.4155/cmt.13.32
- Fudge, S. and Peters, M. (2013) The national dialogue on behaviour change in UK climate policy: some observations on responsibility, agency and political dimensions. In: Crocker, R. and Lehmann, S. (eds.) Motivating Change: sustainable design and behaviour in the Built Environment. Earthscan Series on Sustainable Design. Earthscan, Oxford, pp. 71-92. ISBN 9780415829779
- Hoffman, S. M., Fudge, S. , Pawlisch, L., High-Pippert, A., Peters, M. and Haskard, J. (2013) Public values and community energy: lessons from the US and UK. Sustainability, 5 (4). pp. 1747-1763. ISSN 2071-1050 doi: 10.3390/su5041747
- Peters, M., Fudge , S., Hoffman, S. M. and High-Pippert, A. (2012) Carbon management, local governance and community engagement. Carbon Mangement, 3 (4). pp. 357-368. ISSN 1758-3004 doi: 10.4155/cmt.12.41
- Peters, M., Sinclair, P. and Fudge, S. (2012) The potential for community groups to promote sustainable living. The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, 6 (8). pp. 35-54. ISSN 1833-1882
- Fudge, S. and Peters, M. (2011) Behaviour change in the UK climate debate : an assessment of responsibility, agency and political dimensions. Sustainability, 3 (6). pp. 789-808. doi: 10.3390/su3060789
- Peters, M. (2010) Community engagement and social organization: introducing concepts, policy and practical applications. In: Peters, M., Fudge, S. and Jackson, T. (eds.) Low carbon communities: imaginative approaches to combatting climate change locally. Edward Elgar Ltd, Cheltenham, pp. 13-33. ISBN 9781848445895
- Peters, M., Fudge, S. and Jackson, T., eds. (2010) Low carbon communities: imaginative approaches to combating climate change locally. Edward Elgar Ltd, Cheltenham, pp269. ISBN 9781848445895
- Peters, M., Fudge, S. and Sinclair, P. (2010) Mobilising community action towards a low-carbon future: Opportunities and challenges for local government in the UK. Energy Policy, 38 (12). pp. 7596-7603. ISSN 0301-4215 doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2010.01.044