Staff Profile:Dr Graeme Larsen
- Dr Graeme Larsen
- Job Title:
- Associate Professor
SCME Director of Post Graduate Research Studies
SCME Strategy Committee
SCME Committee of Teaching and Learning
Joint Faculty Postgraduate Committee (Science and Life Sciences)
University Graduate Skills Development Committee
BSc (Hons) Building, Nottingham Trent University, UK
PhD Innovation Diffusion, University of Reading, UK
Scientific Review Committee for CIB Working Commission 065
University representative to the CIB Task Group TG65
International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction (CIB) WBC16 Scientific Committee
- Areas of Interest:
I am an Associate Professor in Construction Management and Innovation and the School Director of Post Graduate Research Studies. My research interests are wide reaching from innovation diffusion to competitiveness networks of SMEs, but I always seek to embed the research in the reality experienced by the practitioner. I am actively engaged with the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), being an academic and industry membership assessor. My more recent research focused on corporate social responsibility, use of communication networks, innovative procurement methods in niche markets, sustainability and resilience planning. I lead a strategic research partnership with Silverstone Holdings Ltd (Motorsport Circuit) focussing on future development plans.
My early career in construction began working as a trainee engineer which led to an ONC in Construction, followed by a BSc (Hons) Building. It was during this time that I gained experience working with housing developers in the South West of England. Upon graduating I joined Miller Construction and then BAM Construction working mainly in the home countries and central London on a range of project types. At this time I considered how I could have more of an impact on the Construction sector and the challenges it faces. This led to undertaking my PhD on the topic of Understanding the Diffusion of Innovations at the University of Reading, followed by a Research Fellowship and then a Lectureship before becoming the Director of the PhD Programme. I have secured research funding for a number of research projects, published more than 25 original research articles and am currently supervising 8 Doctoral Researchers.
- Research groups / Centres:
YNumber of items: 27.
- Larsen, G. D. (2015) Innovation diffusion across firms. In: Dainty, A., Orstavik, F. and Abbott, C. (eds.) Construction Innovation. Wiley, UK, pp. 103-115. ISBN 9781118655535
- Boyd, P., Larsen, G. and Schweber, L. (2015) The co-development of technology and new buildings: incorporating building integrated photovoltaics. Construction Management and Economics, 33 (5-6). pp. 349-360. ISSN 0144-6193 doi: 10.1080/01446193.2015.1074262
- Dania, A. A., Larsen, G. D. and Ewart, I. J. (2014) Sustainable construction: exploring the capabilities of Nigerian construction firms. In: 30th Annual ARCOM Conference, 1-3 September 2014, Portsmouth, UK, pp. 3-12.
- Larsen, G. D. and Whyte, J. (2013) Safe construction through design: perspectives from the site team. Construction Management and Economics, 31 (6). pp. 675-690. ISSN 1466-433X doi: 10.1080/01446193.2013.798424
- Amakali, T., Cook, G. and Larsen, G. (2012) Striving for inclusive design in the built environment: learning strategy adopted by policy implementers at local authorities in England. In: Proceedings 28th Annual ARCOM Conference, 3-5 September 2012, Edinburgh, UK. Association of Researchers in Construction Management, 3-5 Sept 2012, Scotland, pp. 285-294.
- Larsen, G., Phua, F. T. T. and Kao, C.-C. (2012) Understanding the long term success of UK construction firms: the extent and role of 'hidden' corporate social responsibility. In: Joint CIB W070, W092 and TG72 International Conference on Facility Management, Procurement Systems and Public Private Partnership - Delivering Value to the Community, 23-25 January 2012, Cape Town.
- Larsen, G. (2011) Understanding the early stages of the innovation diffusion process: awareness, influence and communication networks. Construction Management and Economics, 29 (10). pp. 987-1002. ISSN 1466-433x doi: 10.1080/01446193.2011.619994
- Green, S. D., Kao, C. and Larsen, G. D. (2010) Contextualist research: Iterating between methods while following an empirically grounded approach. Journal of Construction Management and Engineering, 136 (1). pp. 117-126. ISSN 1943-7862 doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0000027
- Kao, C., Green, S. D. and Larsen, G. D. (2009) Emergent discourses of construction competitiveness: localized learning and embeddedness. Construction Management and Economics, 27 (10). pp. 1005-1017. ISSN 0144-6193 doi: 10.1080/01446190903273935
- Larsen, G.D. and Harty, C. (2009) Regulations and innovations across the UK construction sector: Social shaping in action. In: 5th Nordic Conference on Construction Economics and Organisation, Reykjavik, Iceland, pp. 3-12.
- Green, S. D., Larsen, G. D. and Kao, C.C. (2008) Competitive strategy revisited: contested concepts and dynamic capabilities. Construction Management and Economics, 26 (1). pp. 63-78. ISSN 0144-6193 doi: 10.1080/01446190701656174
- Kao, C. C., Green, S. D. and Larsen, G. D. (2008) Enacting competitiveness: an empirical investigation. In: CIB Joint International Symposium, Dubai, pp. 1-12.
- Green, S. D., Harty, C., Elmualim, A. A., Larsen, G. D. and Kao, C. C. (2008) On the discourse of construction competitiveness. Building Research and Information, 36 (5). pp. 426-435. ISSN 0961-3218 doi: 10.1080/09613210802076666
- Larsen, G. D., Kao, C.C. and Green, S. D. (2008) Partnering in flight: From being to becoming. Journal of Construction Procurement, 14 (1). pp. 35-50. ISSN 1358-9180
- Larsen, G. D., Green, S. D. and Kao, C. C. (2007) Clients and contractors: Relationships in developing new procurement. In: Proc. CIB WO92 Conference on Procurement Systems, Newcastle, Australia.
- Kao, C.C. and Larsen, G.D.. (2007) Competitiveness and procurement strategy: A client-contractor partnership. In: Proc of CIB W92 Symposium: Building Across Borders, Hunter Valley, Australia, pp. 335-343.
- Larsen, G. D., Green, S. D. and Kao, C. C. (2007) Constructing strategy: Practitioners, practices, and practice. In: CIB World Building Congress: Construction for Development, Cape Town, South Africa, pp. 524-535.
- Goodier, C.I., Soetanto, R., Dainty, A. R.J., Larsen, G.D. and Quigley, M. (2007) Towards sustained competitiveness in UK construction: A multi-methodological approach. In: Proc of CIB World Building Congress: Construction for Development, Cape Town, pp. 915-927.
- Kao, C.-C. , Green, S.D., Larsen, G.D. and Elmualim, A.A. (2006) Construction competitiveness: A dynamic capabilities perspective. In: Construction in the XXI Century: Local and global challenges, Rome, Italy.
- Larsen, G. D. (2006) Innovation and regulation: A socio-technical perspective. In: BEAR International Conference on Building Education and Research, Hong Kong.
- Larsen, G. D., Green, S.D., Kao, C. and Elmualim, A. A. (2006) Sustained competitiveness: Polarized perspectives and the search for the middle ground. In: Construction in the XXI Century: Local and global challenges, Rome, 194-195 (executive) paper on CD Rom.
- Larsen, G. D., Kao, C.C., Soetanto, R. and Goodier, C. (2006) Understanding the past, present and future of procurement. In: W92 Conference on Procurement Systems, Salford, pp. 340-347.
- Elmualim, A.A., Green, S.D., Larsen, G. and Kao, C.C. (2006) The discourse of construction competitiveness: Material consequences and localised resistance. In: Joint International Conference on Construction Culture, Innovation and Management (CCIM), Dubai.
- Larsen, G.D. (2005) Horses for courses: Relating innovation diffusion concepts to the stage of the diffusion process. Construction Management and Economics, 23 (8). pp. 787-792. ISSN 0144-6193 doi: 10.1080/01446190500204770
- Larsen, G.D. (2005) Innovation diffusion in the UK construction industry: The introduction of an awareness threshold level concept. In: Innovative Developments in Architecture, Engineering and Construction, Delft University of Technology, Amsterdam.
- Larsen, G.D. and Ballal, T.M.A. (2005) The diffusion of innovations within a UKCI context: An explanatory framework. Construction Management and Economics, 23 (1). pp. 81-91. ISSN 0144-6193 doi: 10.1080/0144619042000287750
- Larsen, G. (2003) Informal communication networks and the diffusion of innovations in UK construction projects: A research design. In: Anumba, C. J. (ed.) Innovative Developments in Architecture, Engineering and Contruction. Millpress Science Publishers, Rotterdam, pp. 503-514. ISBN 9059660080
Selected Refereed Conference Publications
Larsen, G., D. Green, S., D. and Kao, C (2009) Re-configuring an Organisations Capabilities: A view from the Construction Sector. In: Organization Science 15th Winter Conference, 3-8 February 2009, Colorado, USA.
Assistant Site Manager, Knapp New Homes, UK
Site Manager, Miller Construction, UK
Construction Package Manager, HGB Construction, UK
Research Fellow, Innovative Construction Research Centre, University of Reading, UK