Skip to main content

Visa information – University of Reading

Show access keys

Visa information

You will generally need a visa to study in the UK if you are a national of a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

If your course is shorter than 6 months, you can enter on a Student Visitor visa. If your course is longer than 6 months, you will need a Tier 4 (general) visa. You can assess your personal visa status through the UK Border Agency (UKBA) website: "Do I need a visa?"

If you require a visa to study in the UK, the University of Reading can act as your sponsor. Visas issued under University of Reading sponsorship are valid for study at Reading only. If you are transferring to Reading from another university, you will need to apply for another visa under University of Reading sponsorship.

Visa Enquiries

Visa advice before you leave home

You can obtain visa advice from your local Embassy or UK High Commission. UKCISA also provides a detailed guide on making a Tier 4 application.

Visa advice when you get to Reading

Once you arrive at the University of Reading, you can get information and guidance from our International Immigration Advice service. They offer drop in sessions, as well as a wealth of advice on anything visa related.

The UKBA has created a series of videos giving advice on how to get a visa and other useful information. You can access this by visiting the UKBA YouTube channel.

We Are International

Get an unprecedented insight into the Visa application process. We Are International is a collaborative project to support talented international students as they apply to study in the UK


Applicants in China can watch a video on the University of Reading Youku channel.


We use Javascript to improve your experience on, but it looks like yours is turned off. Everything will still work, but it is even more beautiful with Javascript in action. Find out more about why and how to turn it back on here.
We also use cookies to improve your time on the site, for more information please see our cookie policy.

Back to top